F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 335d running in??
Studio RSR

08-26-2015, 02:37 AM   #1
foreverfalling
Rep
Drives: F30 335D M Sport

335d running in??

Getting my new car in about 5 weeks and very excited. It's a great feeling collecting a new car!

I've read to wait for 1200 miles before going over 3500 rpm but I've also read from others that once it's up to 100 degrees or so temp to drive it how you want from day 1 and that driving it harder when warmed up from day 1 could actually make it a faster engine in the long run?

Not sure what to do?

Anyone have any opinions?

If it was really necessary to drive below 3500 would they have not limited the ecu until it was run in?

My last new car was a lease and I did option 2 - run it hard from day 1 but this car I'm buying so want to be super careful!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
You will find everyone here will disagree on what to do. My view is simple:

Not many people know your car better than the maker. They tell you the run-in procedure in the handbook. It's as you say (give or take) and it's not onerous with the amount of power available. And for anyone at your dealer that may say otherwise.... I reckon BMW put it in the manual for a good reason!

As I said, I'm sure some people will appear and disagree, but that's my view :-)
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 03:44 AM   #3
Spacer
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i, becoming an X3!

Garage List
PS: Enjoy the car. I have a 330D that I got in May, and I love it!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #4
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Personally i would take it easy, and wouldn't go beyond the adviced 3500 rpms. BTW, congrats on the car and get ready for that torque
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I drove mine like I stole it from day one, while still observing some basic rules (keeping the RPMs low until engine warm up for example). It can't hurt to observe the manufacturer recommendations, but if you aren't keeping the car beyond 3-4 years (or 50k miles), it's unlikely any of the long term benefits afforded by the gentle break-in will even be realized. It's entirely up to you, either way.

As for improving performance, or making it a faster engine, maybe you're thinking of an "Italian tune-up". Google it.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Buttons
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I drove mine like I stole it from day one, while still observing some basic rules (keeping the RPMs low until engine warm up for example). It can't hurt to observe the manufacturer recommendations, but if you aren't keeping the car beyond 3-4 years (or 50k miles), it's unlikely any of the long term benefits afforded by the gentle break-in will even be realized. It's entirely up to you, either way.
I agree..... keep the RPM low until engine is warm - and its under warranty for 3years anyway (or is that just UK?) so if it breaks, send it back!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacer View Post
You will find everyone here will disagree on what to do. My view is simple:

Not many people know your car better than the maker. They tell you the run-in procedure in the handbook. It's as you say (give or take) and it's not onerous with the amount of power available. And for anyone at your dealer that may say otherwise.... I reckon BMW put it in the manual for a good reason!

As I said, I'm sure some people will appear and disagree, but that's my view :-)
++ I'm at 100K miles and using no oil. No CBU, no problems with the engine at all. You don't need to go over 3500 rpm anyway; you're past the torque curve by then - actually by 3000 rpm. In my E90, 70 mph is only 1900 rpm; why do you need to go faster than 125 or so? Is the motorway really that clear that you can go that fast?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:32 AM   #8
MMVI
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 something

I think all mechanical oily things should be generally run in but, IMHO It does no harm to occasionally show it how it is going to be treated.
The torque in that car will mean that you will not feel the need to push it and the Rev restriction even in that period still allows high speed cruising in the motorway. I firmly believe that the odd bounce into the high end to see what it can do, during its new life does them good and have always treated my engines the same and they have always been great.

Only when warm of course. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Once the engine is warm, drive it as you'd drive any car.
Just enjoy the car and stop worrying about it.

I had fun with it whenever I could and the engine was OK

I even (mistakenly) bounced a bit on the red line (manual mode in sport+, instead of sport - which doesn't shift for you once you get to the redline) when my car had <500miles.

I dynoed the car a while back and guess what - it had exactly 313 HP ...

To end on a bit of sciency note:

Just look at the replies here (or any other enthusiast forum) and you'll notice that you usually get a mix of replies. Some will say "drive it like you stole it" - some will say "the manual is always right". All will say that their car turned out ok
To me, it just means that if there is indeed an effect on the engine (either positive or negative) it's too small to be noticed, which explains why the population is still divided on the issue.
If you were to ask if it's ok to run on under-inflated tires - there will immediately be a consensus. That's because there's a quantifiable impact on the fuel consumption and tire wear.
Personally, I would expect to see the same type of consensus on this issue if the result of not following the run-in procedure would be (that) bad.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album

Last edited by stormlv; 08-27-2015 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Break in procedure comes up several times a year.

The two arguments are:

Once warmed up drive it like you stole it, or at least use WOT to seat the piston rings from day one. Which is fine on a car that has break in oil such as a m6, but most have slippery fully synthetic oil. Added to this gearboxes, diffs, brakes, tyres etc don't appreciate abuse straight out of the box.

Or follow the manufacturers instructions.

I did the latter and have 324bhp (from a recent check @ my local RR) - if that means anything.
Appreciate 0