F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Law school?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #23
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

If you have a technical degree (preferably something in engineering) you might want to consider getting an M.S. and then going into patent law.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I don't have a technical degree. All my degrees are in business disciplines.

I wish I could easily just follow something I like as someone had mentioned. The only thing is I don't know what I'm passionate about.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Hmm that's too bad. You can make a killing in patent law if you have at least an M.S. in some sort of engineering discipline.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I don't have a technical degree. All my degrees are in business disciplines.

I wish I could easily just follow something I like as someone had mentioned. The only thing is I don't know what I'm passionate about.
ever consider selling houses? that's what i would do if i was looking for something to work on. set your own hours, drive around town all day, and you can write off your car!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosster hymen View Post
ever consider selling houses? that's what i would do if i was looking for something to work on. set your own hours, drive around town all day, and you can write off your car!
I actually considered that. Years ago I got a real estate appraisal but didn't do much with it. A few years after, before the recession, I thought about becoming a sales agent. I signed up and bought the self study books from Kaplan but got busy and forgot about it. I really should definitely look into this. Thank you for bringing it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #28
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Unless I'm 100% guaranteed to look, act, get paid, and get laid like Harvey Specter then I'd never hope to be in law.

Get another piece of pie, for your wife.
      11-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
I actually considered that. Years ago I got a real estate appraisal but didn't do much with it. A few years after, before the recession, I thought about becoming a sales agent. I signed up and bought the self study books from Kaplan but got busy and forgot about it. I really should definitely look into this. Thank you for bringing it up!
yeah man, it's a pretty good setup. like big bass fishing. even if you sell 2 houses a year, around here that's $1 million pretty easily, and your commission will be $25k. i'm thinking it's not difficult to move 2 houses/year if you actually worked on it. though i could survive on $25k (given car payments/mileage, gas, meals are all write-offs)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Unless I'm 100% guaranteed to look, act, get paid, and get laid like Harvey Specter then I'd never hope to be in law.

Get another piece of pie, for your wife.
Lol I just got into that show. Finished 2 seasons in a week. That show makes me want to be a lawyer. Then I realized it's a show and Harvey Specter is a fictional character that most lawyers dream they could be.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #31
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosster hymen View Post
yeah man, it's a pretty good setup. like big bass fishing. even if you sell 2 houses a year, around here that's $1 million pretty easily, and your commission will be $25k. i'm thinking it's not difficult to move 2 houses/year if you actually worked on it. though i could survive on $25k (given car payments/mileage, gas, meals are all write-offs)
I will definitely look more into this. I think it's time to dust off those real estate books and study for the exam. I heard it's easier than getting an appraisal license so it shouldn't be too bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #32
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Why dont you try and take the a diagnostic LSAT to measure where you are at? If you're cold is 160+ and still adamant about law school. Continue your research about law school and hopefully you'll make a decision that works for you. Direct cost vs opportunity cost.

Yeah it is a very volatile field where Even Columbia grads are struggling to look for jobs, but if you want it make sure you attack it correctly. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTran View Post
Why dont you try and take the a diagnostic LSAT to measure where you are at? If you're cold is 160+ and still adamant about law school. Continue your research about law school and hopefully you'll make a decision that works for you. Direct cost vs opportunity cost.

Yeah it is a very volatile field where Even Columbia grads are struggling to look for jobs, but if you want it make sure you attack it correctly. Good luck
It seems like being a lawyer is cut throat business. I've looked into it and the top schools cost something like $70k+ a year. That seems crazy! I could down a house with that kind of money.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #34
HTran
Pi Epsilon Pi
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
It seems like being a lawyer is cut throat business. I've looked into it and the top schools cost something like $70k+ a year. That seems crazy! I could down a house with that kind of money.
That is absurd! But who knows man, what if you get full ride or scholarships? I deplore these law school discussions. These institutions just exacerbate the financial debt problems. Apparently law schools are a paradigm of deminshing returns.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #35
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Most lawyers starting out now are signing on for ~$40,000 per year... Something all those watered down law schools didn't tell them as they cashed the students $70k/yr check... Most Lawyers I know have stopped practicing and are doing something else now.
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #36
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Hmm that's too bad. You can make a killing in patent law if you have at least an M.S. in some sort of engineering discipline.
Yup, my neighbor has a B.S. and M.S. in Electrical Engineering + a J.D. Patent Agent/Lawyer can make bandz.
      05-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #37
pacman.defense
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

The US lawyer bubble has conclusively popped
May 7, 2014

Law schools aren’t just facing a momentary downturn. The industry has to deal with the fact that the world simply needs far fewer lawyers.
+
Technology, a shift to flat-fee contracts from billing for time, and globalization have shifted the salary and employment math for students considering law school forever. And the impact has trickled down to law schools, particularly those schools without premier brands or support from large universities, according to an analyst note from Moody’s.
+
The job statistics are brutal for recent graduates of law school—graduates who often pay six figures or more for their law degree. The unemployment rate nine months after graduation for the class of 2013 was 11.2%—up from 10.6% for the class of 2012 and 9.2% for 2011 graduates.
+
It took prospective law students some time after the financial crisis to recognize the profession’s new reality of fewer jobs and less pay. But if the continuing drop in those taking law school admission exams (LSATs) or applying for admission to the American Bar Association (ABA) are any indication, the US lawyer bubble has conclusively popped.
+
Despite a generally improving economy, which might have signalled good times for lawyers in the past, the numbers of LSAT takers and ABA applicants have declined by double digit percentages for the second consecutive year, and dropped for the third straight year:

As bad as declining career prospects are for lawyers, the drop in applications to law school is even worse news for less prestigious and stand alone schools. Job placement drops off dramatically with school quality. Schools in the top quartile based on job placement saw between 84.1 and 97.5% of their 2013 graduates employed within 9 months. Those in the bottom quartile saw job placement rates under 71%.
+
The decline in demand is worst for those bottom quartile schools. Many are becoming less selective and reducing prices in response, which might further reduce perceptions of quality. At standalone schools whose debt Moody’s covers, there have been substantial drops in students attending (matriculation) and an increase in the percentage of students admitted (selectivity).

If these trends continue, which it looks like they will, lower tier law schools can expect to consolidate and even close.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 10:21 PM   #38
pacman.defense
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 330i

forgot to post this

Appreciate 0