F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 335i Exhaust Installed on 328i (pictures and video attached)
GetBMWParts

07-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #67
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Just cut it in the factory specified location (at the dimple in the piping) and use a BMW exhaust clamp and I don't see what it would be a problem. If there was an issue with your factory muffler the dealer would replace it by cutting and clamping on the new one as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #68
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

Nice job, what happen with the engine or exhaust warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #69
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTT 335i View Post
Nice job, what happen with the engine or exhaust warranty?
You'll never know if/how a modification impacts the warranty until something happens and you take it to the dealer. I'd be hard pressed to think that a modification to the muffler would void anything outside of the exhaust system itself, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #70
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
You'll never know if/how a modification impacts the warranty until something happens and you take it to the dealer. I'd be hard pressed to think that a modification to the muffler would void anything outside of the exhaust system itself, but who knows.
Its not that up in the air, at least in the US. For any mod to be a basis to deny a warranty claim the manufacturer has to show it had a direct role in the failure. A muffler change is not going to affect the engine warranty.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #71
Steve_Jr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Hey ~ What about performance .. acc. response at low speed ? I am worrying about this point. ~

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #72
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

The ass dyno doesn't notice much. Its just louder which can create a bit of deception. I'm sure it helps a little up higher in the RPMs though.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #73
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i ///M Sport ///M Perf

anybody know the part number of 428i exhaust clamp? also anybody did this on their 428i?? how does the sound compare on the 328i after having this done
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #74
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

whats the chances of BMW picking up you did such a thing and cancelling your motorplan even though you remove and install original exhaust before services.
what are the big things to look out for when having this done so that when you re-install original exhaust before service, it is undetectable that you had the 335i/435i exhaust installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #75
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaaf999 View Post
whats the chances of BMW picking up you did such a thing and cancelling your motorplan even though you remove and install original exhaust before services.
what are the big things to look out for when having this done so that when you re-install original exhaust before service, it is undetectable that you had the 335i/435i exhaust installed?
There are no considerations to your powertrain warranty when changing out a muffler. I certainly would not waste your time removing this before service. I don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:35 AM   #76
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

good day.. please educate me as I am very technically ignorant regarding these sort of issues.... I just spoke to my service manager about installing a 435 exhaust on a 428i.... he said it is a DEFINITE NO NO.. apparently it would definitely be picked up ... he told me there is something called "lamda probes" (not familiar with spelling) which sends signal of the backward pressure to the computer box and stores this information... and he said because of using the 435 exhaust I would have higher backward pressure results being sent to the computer box. and when I send the car in for a service they would then pick this up through the computer box... btw I am looking at getting the 435 M performance exhaust... please advise soonest
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #77
klerk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

i made the swap to stock 435i exhaust on my 428i about 3K miles ago without (seemingly) any issues. only thing i've noticed is a slightly deeper sounding growl. no error lights. i have yet to take my car in for service (only 3500 miles). I will say that my in-city driving yields only about 19-20 mpg. not sure if this is standard for a 428i. only moderately spirited driving (at times) in the texas heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #78
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good day.. please educate me as I am very technically ignorant regarding these sort of issues.... I just spoke to my service manager about installing a 435 exhaust on a 428i.... he said it is a DEFINITE NO NO.. apparently it would definitely be picked up ... he told me there is something called "lamda probes" (not familiar with spelling) which sends signal of the backward pressure to the computer box and stores this information... and he said because of using the 435 exhaust I would have higher backward pressure results being sent to the computer box. and when I send the car in for a service they would then pick this up through the computer box... btw I am looking at getting the 435 M performance exhaust... please advise soonest
Definitely a "NO NO" in regards to what? It's a muffler, its not going to impact your warranty for anything outside of the muffler itself and possibly other parts relative to the exhaust system. I've had quite a bit of warranty work done (drivetrain-related) and have had no questions or issues presented to me as a result of this.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #79
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Definitely a "NO NO" in regards to what? It's a muffler, its not going to impact your warranty for anything outside of the muffler itself and possibly other parts relative to the exhaust system. I've had quite a bit of warranty work done (drivetrain-related) and have had no questions or issues presented to me as a result of this.
well in South Africa we have something called "motorplan". He told me its the only country in the world where they have this, but im unsure if it is.... anyway motorplan is where all your normal services/ oil changes and general maintenance required is paid for by them (motorplan company) for the first 100 000km travelled or first 5 years that passes from the date the car was first registered, whichever comes first. as soon as bmw pick up anything on your car E.g software, exhaust mod's etc an instant notification is sent to Motorplan and your motorplan is immediately cancelled. car's without motorplan in S.A usually sell for about 50-60% of what they would have sold for should they have a motorplan.. so nobody wants to lose this..... that's why im asking - Is it detectable?? physically what must I look out for for there to be no trace and with regards to the ECU having stored data of more backward pressure being passed who can provide a solid response to this statement.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #80
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well in South Africa we have something called "motorplan". He told me its the only country in the world where they have this, but im unsure if it is.... anyway motorplan is where all your normal services/ oil changes and general maintenance required is paid for by them (motorplan company) for the first 100 000km travelled or first 5 years that passes from the date the car was first registered, whichever comes first. as soon as bmw pick up anything on your car E.g software, exhaust mod's etc an instant notification is sent to Motorplan and your motorplan is immediately cancelled. car's without motorplan in S.A usually sell for about 50-60% of what they would have sold for should they have a motorplan.. so nobody wants to lose this..... that's why im asking - Is it detectable?? physically what must I look out for for there to be no trace and with regards to the ECU having stored data of more backward pressure being passed who can provide a solid response to this statement.
Forget all the back pressure and detectable lambda values mumbo jumbo. You do realize you have to cut the exhaust to install a new muffler, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #81
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Forget all the back pressure and detectable lambda values mumbo jumbo. You do realize you have to cut the exhaust to install a new muffler, right?
um... are you saying they are therefore def gonna KNOW I had this mod done? im installing 435 m perf exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #82
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
um... are you saying they are therefore def gonna KNOW I had this mod done? im installing 435 m perf exhaust
Yes, you literally have to cut the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #83
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Omg... Now I Find This Out ... 435 M Perf Exhaust And Diffuser Already Ordered.... If Any1 Wants It? Aaaahhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #84
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Omg... Now I Find This Out ... 435 M Perf Exhaust And Diffuser Already Ordered.... If Any1 Wants It? Aaaahhhhhhh
Read and look at the pictures on the 1st page of this thread
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #85
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Read and look at the pictures on the 1st page of this thread
howsit... the dealership is considering doing it for me but service manager asked if there will be place for this 435 style box to fit as he said its to completely different box styles and there might not be a way to fit it in terms of rear spacing of the box... the silencer is at another dealership so they were unable to verify this statement... do u know the situation of the 4 series in this regard? I see you have no such issue on f30
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #86
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sweet!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #87
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
howsit... the dealership is considering doing it for me but service manager asked if there will be place for this 435 style box to fit as he said its to completely different box styles and there might not be a way to fit it in terms of rear spacing of the box... the silencer is at another dealership so they were unable to verify this statement... do u know the situation of the 4 series in this regard? I see you have no such issue on f30
No idea on the 4 series.

I wouldn't recommend having the dealer try to install this for you as it is more than likely not a direct bolt on and will probably require minor fabrication work (something dealers do not typically do).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #88
altaaf999
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No idea on the 4 series.

I wouldn't recommend having the dealer try to install this for you as it is more than likely not a direct bolt on and will probably require minor fabrication work (something dealers do not typically do).
yeah that's true also... for this 'fabrication' work can you buy the piece or it needs to be made? do you have a picture of yours... yes I know most muffler shops will be able to do it but just want to be sure and to know what they supposed to do before they actually do it....

post a pic of the under of a 435 if you come across 1 then we can compare
Appreciate 0