F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Auto Seat Position Change with multiple driver profiles or key fobs
Extreme Powerhouse

08-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Auto Seat Position Change with multiple driver profiles or key fobs

Dunno if this has been covered but I have been looking up features on my F30 and by far the longest one for me to figure out was the auto seat memory positions based on profiles.

This applies to all F30's with Electric Seats

If you want your (**SEATS**) + mirrors/etc to change automatically when you switch a driver profile or use multiple key fobs with different profiles on each key follow these steps.

If you already have multiple driver profiles associated with different keys and with seats positions stored, then just follow step 2 only.

Walkthrough:

1. In idrive select a driver profile (3 available + 1 guest). (You can name it for the driver)

2. **this is the most important Step** . Once driver profile is loaded, then Go to Settings --> door locks --> check the First check box (labelled along the lines *auto seat position*) then exit to main menu if you wish. (This setting is not enabled by default).

3. Set your seat & mirror position the way you like.

4. Press the M button on the seat. The button will light up red.

5. Press either 1 or 2 to store position. (repeat from step 3 to store second position)

6. Repeat from step 1 for multiple driver profiles.

7. Select one of the configured driver profiles you want with the key you unlocked the car with. (this step associates the key with one of the driver profiles). Seats & mirrors should auto change now when you switch profiles.

8. Then get out and lock the car with key, the last used memory seat position either (1 or 2) from step 5 will be saved to be called up by the key when unlocking car again.

That should be all. This is quite complex since BMW gave idrive driver profiles with auto seat position disabled by default. Then theres the storing seat & mirror positions to seat memory which is in turn stored to the driver profile. Lastly the driver profile is associated with the key by selecting profile while desired key is in use. My god this was HELL. This is like 4 chapters of the manual combined in 1.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Leoabp
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30

thanks for the tips..
      10-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
Great info, thanks
      01-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

great info

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
antah
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G31 530xD

I want to retrofit electric seats over my manual and curious if this profile thing could be coded afterwards. It's very important for me as my girlfriend use my car quite often.
      01-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519 View Post
Dunno if this has been covered but I have been looking up features on my F30 and by far the longest one for me to figure out was the auto seat memory positions based on profiles.

This applies to all F30's with Electric Seats

If you want your (**SEATS**) + mirrors/etc to change automatically when you switch a driver profile or use multiple key fobs with different profiles on each key follow these steps.

If you already have multiple driver profiles associated with different keys and with seats positions stored, then just follow step 2 only.

Walkthrough:

1. In idrive select a driver profile (3 available + 1 guest). (You can name it for the driver)

2. **this is the most important Step** . Once driver profile is loaded, then Go to Settings --> door locks --> check the First check box (labelled along the lines *auto seat position*) then exit to main menu if you wish. (This setting is not enabled by default).

3. Set your seat & mirror position the way you like.

4. Press the M button on the seat. The button will light up red.

5. Press either 1 or 2 to store position. (repeat from step 3 to store second position)

6. Repeat from step 1 for multiple driver profiles.

7. Select one of the configured driver profiles you want with the key you unlocked the car with. (this step associates the key with one of the driver profiles). Seats & mirrors should auto change now when you switch profiles.

8. Then get out and lock the car with key, the last used memory seat position either (1 or 2) from step 5 will be saved to be called up by the key when unlocking car again.

That should be all. This is quite complex since BMW gave idrive driver profiles with auto seat position disabled by default. Then theres the storing seat & mirror positions to seat memory which is in turn stored to the driver profile. Lastly the driver profile is associated with the key by selecting profile while desired key is in use. My god this was HELL. This is like 4 chapters of the manual combined in 1.
Bump. I just picked up my car, and I can't get this to work. Anyone have any additional tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Just figured this out today too. Make two profiles, choose the one you want settings to be saved, make all your changes then last and most important step is to lock the car with the key to be associated. Now all the settings are associated with that key and profile. Repeat for the next key but make sure you select the other profile before making changes.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #8
jtmann
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe

Sorry for the bump but there isn't a lot of discussion about this. I have taken all the steps listed in this thread, and have everything set up for both mine and my wife's profiles. The problem we have is, when we ride together to work I turn the car off, get out and lock with my keyfob. She then unlocks with hers as instructed by the BMW genius. (this all seems overly complicated to make the car recall her driver settings) The problem is it doesn't change for her, and then we reverse the process when she comes back to pick me up, and then it doesn't change back for me from whatever she set everything to. It is becoming infuriating, what can we do differently to make everything work as it should? When you select a different profile in the on-screen menus will it adjust to that profile settings?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmann View Post
Sorry for the bump but there isn't a lot of discussion about this. I have taken all the steps listed in this thread, and have everything set up for both mine and my wife's profiles. The problem we have is, when we ride together to work I turn the car off, get out and lock with my keyfob. She then unlocks with hers as instructed by the BMW genius. (this all seems overly complicated to make the car recall her driver settings) The problem is it doesn't change for her, and then we reverse the process when she comes back to pick me up, and then it doesn't change back for me from whatever she set everything to. It is becoming infuriating, what can we do differently to make everything work as it should? When you select a different profile in the on-screen menus will it adjust to that profile settings?
you need to select the profile you want om idrive and then lock the car for it to associate your profile with your key, then open the car with her fob and select her profile on idrive and then lock the car with her fob

now when you open with your fob it will be your profile and when you open with hers, it will load hers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
jtmann
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe

I have it figured out now. When you select the other profile in the settings menu, it prompts you that it will change seat positions. So now we can leave the car running, she gets in, chooses her profile by hitting the memory button on the dash that I programmed to recall her profile, and everything adjusts for her. Then on her profile I saved a dash memory button to recall my profile, so she hits that for me, and it changes back.
Appreciate 0