F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 8 Speed Guys - What Modes Do You Prefer?
ARMA SPEED

01-18-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

8 Speed Guys - What Modes Do You Prefer?

5 days in with this car and I'm kind of digging discovering which transmission/drive mode combos are ideal for various terrain/situations. Just curious to see which modes/combos other 8 speed people prefer. Coming from a few decades of the Grapes of Wrath era massive wiener, MANual transmission, I'm actually pretty down with the versatility and options of the 8 speed vs. the one trick pony I got so used to. Although I'm expecting some instant trolling from Snow Ghost king of the 3 pedal tap dance, I'm not trying to start another one of those threads, at all.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

City cruising/moderate traffic/flatlands: Comfort mode/Drive. It seems like regardless of drive setting, sport, comfort or eco, the suspension still comfortable regardless of M-sport pkg and 18's vs. my GTI which felt like a horse-drawn carriage at times. Still the handling is sharp and precise and as far as grip, RWD and summers go w/out saying. But as far as transmission behavior and throttle response, 'D' + comfort is generally fine for these conditions. Throttle has a little mush but all and all it's fine. Shifts are seamless and quick but it's still pretty much in the right gear most of the time and will kick down if needed with little fuss. Easy to knock it over to sport for quick kick down etc. as well. I think some of the slight mush I feel in regular Drive and comfort is due to a minor power deficit that will be remedied with the Stage 1 or 2 tune, coming soon.

Freeway cruising/cruise control, etc.: Same. Comfort and Drive is fine since knocking over to Sport will automatically kick one gear down. Again, seamless.

City driving with little-to-no traffic; Some hills, sharp turns etc: I'm a production manager at a few major concert venues in L.A. and thus work long, long hours, getting off work around 12a-2a which sees me driving home through a deserted L.A. This is where I loved the manual, that and on back roads, Angeles Crest hwy, etc. I've so far been pretty happy with Sport (what used to be "DS" on the e90) but keeping the comfort setting, since sport + sport is kind of ridiculous besides for WOT straight line acceleration. Holds gears, utilizes engine braking and 90% of the time, stays around 2k - 4k rpms max, keeping me right in the power band, resembling how I would drive w/a standard. Power on tap, throttle pretty sharp. All in all a good mode for 'sharper' driving where you .

Manual mode + Sport Setting: For optimal control with this transmission and sharpest throttle response, manual + sport setting. I don't know how they did it since this is technically a slushbox w/a torque converter but the response time in this mode is practically twin-clutch fast with sharp throttle etc. feels the most 'like a 3 series'.

Worst combos: 'D' + the sport drive mode just feels awkward and jerky. EcoPro feels like pushing the throttle through peanut butter. Fine for bumper to bumper etc. but otherwise useless.

That's about it.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 01-18-2014 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

I generally just use comfort mode. With the diesel there is ample torque at low rpms to negate the need to have sport mode hold me in a gear longer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #3
Ian138
Rep
Drives: F30

Good sum up. I do use Eco when in conditions where even a lambo could not progress faster due to traffic. Saves some juice and I don't get there any slower. But agree its sluggish

One thing I find strange is that sport in 'd' seems quicker than sport with 's' (when pushing the lever sideways) plus leaving the paddles alone. Any techy person confirm ratio/response agrees with that statement. Does not sound right to me
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

These days I'm most often in Sport. Sport+ and DS mode when I feel more aggressive. I prefer the harder suspension and the throttle mapping of Sport over Comfort. Eco Pro is non-existent as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I'm getting into a F32 from an E92. What is the difference from putting the gear selector to the left in the F32, to putting it in sport?

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian138 View Post
One thing I find strange is that sport in 'd' seems quicker than sport with 's' (when pushing the lever sideways) plus leaving the paddles alone. Any techy person confirm ratio/response agrees with that statement. Does not sound right to me
In my 535i when I'm in Sport mode and move the stick to DS mode, the gear box drops another gear. So rather than one ratio lower, it is now two gears lower at about 60 mph cruising speed.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Im driving manual in S+ at all times...I love it, especially with the addition of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

^^Since I have 320 I only have the regular ZF 8 speed step, not the sport automatic. I wonder how Sport + compares to regular sport on mine? Yeah manual mode with the sport mode selected is really impressive in terms of speed of shifts, throttle response and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I generally just use comfort mode. With the diesel there is ample torque at low rpms to negate the need to have sport mode hold me in a gear longer.
Yeah, the 328d has a lot of low end. I find comfort mode to generally be the smoothest in terms of transmission behavior and will probably use it more after I get Stage 1 since it'll add a decent amount of torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
In my 535i when I'm in Sport mode and move the stick to DS mode, the gear box drops another gear. So rather than one ratio lower, it is now two gears lower at about 60 mph cruising speed.

HighlandPete
Mine too. I like the instant drop a gear w/out having to kickdown or anything. Comfort mode and putting the lever in the sport gate drops it down to 7th gear and sport drops down to 6th since sport locks out 8th gear even @ freeway speeds. Makes freeway passing pretty seamless.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 01-18-2014 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Staying in D while in Sport is just as wonky in the 328i. Best to go manual if you want to drive this car in a sporting fashion. I agree that ECO PRO is just annoying outside of being stuck in traffic.

I am Comfort / D for 95% of my driving and Sport / Manual the other 5%.

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
5 days in with this car and I'm kind of digging discovering which transmission/drive mode combos are ideal for various terrain/situations. Just curious to see which modes/combos other 8 speed people prefer. Coming from a few decades of the Grapes of Wrath era massive wiener, MANual transmission, I'm actually pretty down with the versatility and options of the 8 speed vs. the one trick pony I got so used to. Although I'm expecting some instant trolling from Snow Ghost king of the 3 pedal tap dance, I'm not trying to start another one of those threads, at all.

So far I've narrowed it down to the following:

City cruising/moderate traffic/flatlands: Comfort mode/Drive. It seems like regardless of drive setting, sport, comfort or eco, the suspension still comfortable regardless of M-sport pkg and 18's vs. my GTI which felt like a horse-drawn carriage at times. Still the handling is sharp and precise and as far as grip, RWD and summers go w/out saying. But as far as transmission behavior and throttle response, 'D' + comfort is generally fine for these conditions. Throttle has a little mush but all and all it's fine. Shifts are seamless and quick but it's still pretty much in the right gear most of the time and will kick down if needed with little fuss. Easy to knock it over to sport for quick kick down etc. as well. I think some of the slight mush I feel in regular Drive and comfort is due to a minor power deficit that will be remedied with the Stage 1 or 2 tune, coming soon.

Freeway cruising/cruise control, etc.: Same. Comfort and Drive is fine since knocking over to Sport will automatically kick one gear down. Again, seamless.

City driving with little-to-no traffic; Some hills, sharp turns etc: I'm a production manager at a few major concert venues in L.A. and thus work long, long hours, getting off work around 12a-2a which sees me driving home through a deserted L.A. This is where I loved the manual, that and on back roads, Angeles Crest hwy, etc. I've so far been pretty happy with Sport (what used to be "DS" on the e90) but keeping the comfort setting, since sport + sport is kind of ridiculous besides for WOT straight line acceleration. Holds gears, utilizes engine braking and 90% of the time, stays around 2k - 4k rpms max, keeping me right in the power band, resembling how I would drive w/a standard. Power on tap, throttle pretty sharp. All in all a good mode for 'sharper' driving where you .

Manual mode + Sport Setting: For optimal control with this transmission and sharpest throttle response, manual + sport setting. I don't know how they did it since this is technically a slushbox w/a torque converter but the response time in this mode is practically twin-clutch fast with sharp throttle etc. feels the most 'like a 3 series'.

Worst combos: 'D' + the sport drive mode just feels awkward and jerky. EcoPro feels like pushing the throttle through peanut butter. Fine for bumper to bumper etc. but otherwise useless.

That's about it.
You don't have adaptive M suspension right?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
You don't have adaptive M suspension right?
My 320i has the sport package which has the M Sport suspension, so I don't thinks so.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I set my 335i up so comfort/sport only affects the suspension, not the transmission/throttle (I have DHP).

I use comfort whenever I have passengers, and flip the tranny to sport mode when I know I'll need extra oomph, usually when I'm about to get on a highway on-ramp.

Driving solo I usually use sport mode on surface streets and comfort on the highway, and do the same thing with the tranny sport mode when I need power.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #13
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Interesting that no one has mentioned using ECO PRO for long highway journeys. It would seem to be ideal for that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I set my 335i up so comfort/sport only affects the suspension, not the transmission/throttle (I have DHP).

I use comfort whenever I have passengers, and flip the tranny to sport mode when I know I'll need extra oomph, usually when I'm about to get on a highway on-ramp.

Driving solo I usually use sport mode on surface streets and comfort on the highway, and do the same thing with the tranny sport mode when I need power.
When would you ever 'need power' in that car? Man, so jealous. That's like my long term dream car. Someday. You could roll in EcoPRo all day and smoke my car.

Anyhow, some part of me doesn't want to just surrender to using manual mode in sport around town even though that's easily the most satisfying and entertaining mode of operation. Almost like I'm trusting the transmission to be good enough on it's own and it's almost good enough, but leaving an automatic to do it's own thing is never quite good enough. This is the compromise any enthusiast who gets an automatic makes. Luckily with this transmission, the compromise is minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Interesting that no one has mentioned using ECO PRO for long highway journeys. It would seem to be ideal for that.
Yeah I think if you are locked into cruise control on a long trip Eco Pro is the way to go but I haven't had a chance to test that yet.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #15
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

D comfort or D with sport mode. Rarely use the manual mode, I would have gotten a manual if I wanted to shift my own gears. Plus I find the manual mode pretty jerky.
      01-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

I'm in DS Sport 95% of the time. I guess I'm in drive when I'm in reverse...

I don't use Eco Pro, because I like don't like the lack of control over the few % savings it provides. In my mind its not as safe. You can obtain most of eco-pro if you just control your foot. What else it gives is a reduction/savings on other things like a/c. But to me that loss in safety is not worth the $3-4 per gas tank on a long trip.
      01-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #17
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
My 320i has the sport package which has the M Sport suspension, so I don't thinks so.
Well thats why you have the same level of comfort in the suspension "regardless of setting" --> nothing changes when you have passive suspension.

Peace

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

I just turn all traction off and don't touch anything else. Sometimes il use the manual mode
      01-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #19
Bjornizz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2014 320DA xDrive & 2001 520i

Garage List
Well, since it's winter here and about 50-100cm snow I just put it in Sport mode and use the manual mode. xDrive system does the job
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #20
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
D comfort or D with sport mode. Rarely use the manual mode, I would have gotten a manual if I wanted to shift my own gears. Plus I find the manual mode pretty jerky.
I actually really like the manual mode. It does a nice job and I haven't found it to be jerky at all. Besides D/Comfort, it's the smoothest mode of operation I've found.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
btinl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F32, '14 F25

Usually comfort mode. I switch into Sport when entering the freeway or if I want to have a nice spirited drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
I'm in DS Sport 95% of the time. I guess I'm in drive when I'm in reverse...

I don't use Eco Pro, because I like don't like the lack of control over the few % savings it provides. In my mind its not as safe. You can obtain most of eco-pro if you just control your foot. What else it gives is a reduction/savings on other things like a/c. But to me that loss in safety is not worth the $3-4 per gas tank on a long trip.
Yeah EcoPro is pretty awful. The traffic is such a joke in L.A. sometimes though that you literally aren't moving, inching along, in which case, if it saves a little gas, then cool. Otherwise it's useless.

Appreciate 0