F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driving my car after spending time in another vehicle
GetBMWParts

09-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Driving my car after spending time in another vehicle

Wow!

I just spent 4 days driving an X5 as a rental car while on Maui. Budget gave me a deal. I was signed up for a compact as part of my hotel package. I asked the agent about the X5 mentioning that it was probably too expensive. He gave it to me for $100 extra for the 4 days. At $25 per day, I said yes.

The X5 is a great car for its purpose. I really enjoyed how similar iDrive and the other controls were to my F30. There were many aspects of the X5 that make it feel like just a higher, wider, heavier, puffed up version of my car. I felt at home but not losing sight of the fact the ride was that of a much larger car; very smooth and comfortable. I turned the X5 back in thinking it might sway me from the plan of getting the new X3 for my wife when it comes out next year.

Here's what I didn't expect....

I got back home and took my F30 for a spin. After driving that huge X5, my 328 felt even more sporty and nimble than before. The X5 made me fall in love with my ride all over again. I didn't see that coming.

Now with those two data points, maybe the new X3 will be back on the table. Bigger than the F30, but more nimble and lighter than the X5.

These choices are very hard. Life is a bitch
Appreciate 3
      09-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
i drove the MDX for a day and got back to my 340i. once again it confirmed that I hate suv.
Appreciate 5
      09-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Shocking you guys, 3 series handles better and is more nimble than X5 and MDX, who knew.
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      09-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Shocking you guys, 3 series handles better and is more nimble than X5 and MDX, who knew.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I think most people understand that most SUVs are not nimble or handle as well as sport sedans.

This nuance may be lost on you, but my point was that the x5 experience made me appreciate my 328 even more.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I just had an X3 as a loaner and while I liked it overall (we've had gen1 and gen2 X5's) the steering was pretty terrible. Noticeably lighter than my F30 and didn't firm up when I switched to sport mode. Very little feel. The steering alone on the X3 would be a deal killer for me. I did like the contrast stitching in the seats though, and the interior was pretty nice.

Do you know if the X5 you drove was a 2nd or 3rd (current) gen?

I liked the first gen X5 a lot as a driver, but I like our current second-gen X5 a little less. X5's have gotten bigger, more ponderous, and less engaging with every succeeding generation. The latest 3rd gen model recently came in dead last in a Car and Driver comparo. Kinda sad the direction BMW has been taking with many of its models.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

I feel what your saying. When I get a service loaner I ask for the biggest piece of shit they have on the lot. After a couple days of driving that then jumping back in my car, you fall back in love and realize how capable a car we have. It also justifies the expense, at lease in my mind.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #7
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

The new X5 is 10 fold better than the previous. It's silky smooth and rides like it's on a cloud. Engine also has enough grunt. It's definitely better than a 3series if you have a family and do not care for performance or sportiness. However, it would never sway me into an X3. X3 is smaller and uglier IMO.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I just had an X3 as a loaner and while I liked it overall (we've had gen1 and gen2 X5's) the steering was pretty terrible. Noticeably lighter than my F30 and didn't firm up when I switched to sport mode. Very little feel. The steering alone on the X3 would be a deal killer for me. I did like the contrast stitching in the seats though, and the interior was pretty nice.

Do you know if the X5 you drove was a 2nd or 3rd (current) gen?

I liked the first gen X5 a lot as a driver, but I like our current second-gen X5 a little less. X5's have gotten bigger, more ponderous, and less engaging with every succeeding generation. The latest 3rd gen model recently came in dead last in a Car and Driver comparo. Kinda sad the direction BMW has been taking with many of its models.

Yes, it was a 2016 current gen x5 with only 3200 miles on it. I loved it and if the new x3 were not out next year I would seriously consider this x5 as our next SUV (sorry SAV or whatever they call it).

With regard for the Car and Driver Comparison, I will test drive those vehicles myself and decide for myself what I like. Often my personal preferences don't match up with how the mags rank cars in their articles. Their reviews are just information to consider to me, nothing more. What actually gets my attention more is the owner reviews on cars.com or other sites where actual owners review their own cars. Also, I look at the forums and see what owners are saying there. But of course that is a crap shoot too since car forum guys can't agree on anything

Anyway, I loved the 3rd gen x5 and found it to be a way better in all ways to the 2nd gen. But that's just me. I'm still holding out a year to see what the new X3 brings to the party.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLR View Post
I feel what your saying. When I get a service loaner I ask for the biggest piece of shit they have on the lot. After a couple days of driving that then jumping back in my car, you fall back in love and realize how capable a car we have. It also justifies the expense, at lease in my mind.
Tell that to bbb34. He missed the point the first time
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
The new X5 is 10 fold better than the previous. It's silky smooth and rides like it's on a cloud. Engine also has enough grunt. It's definitely better than a 3series if you have a family and do not care for performance or sportiness. However, it would never sway me into an X3. X3 is smaller and uglier IMO.
I agree vs the current x3. But, the new x3 will be on the carbon fiber platform and they say (we will wait and see) that this new platform increase the amount of interior space considerably. That change may be enough. I'd like to have more interior space yet a bit lighter, more nimble car. If the new X3 is not captivating, then the X5 or one if its competitors will be the choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
I agree vs the current x3. But, the new x3 will be on the carbon fiber platform and they say (we will wait and see) that this new platform increase the amount of interior space considerably. That change may be enough. I'd like to have more interior space yet a bit lighter, more nimble car. If the new X3 is not captivating, then the X5 or one if its competitors will be the choice for me.
Absolutely. Let's see the new x3. Hopefully it looks more like an suv and not a raised wagon.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #12
earsly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 AW 335i

I kind of had the opposite feeling. I just picked up a 13 335i sportline. It's nice and new but do I miss my E46's handling. I'll need to look into upgrading the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by earsly View Post
I kind of had the opposite feeling. I just picked up a 13 335i sportline. It's nice and new but do I miss my E46's handling. I'll need to look into upgrading the suspension.

Welcome.

There has been hundreds of not thousands of posts about the difference in handling between the 3er of previous gens vs the F30. Hopefully you will get used to the difference and appreciate the many pluses of the F30. There are mods/upgrades you can do. Research this forum and you will find them. Its a shame you have to do that to get the car to drive the way you want, but BMW is selling to a broader audience now so the base car is softer.

Enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #14
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by earsly View Post
The change to the F30 from my E46 M3 was noticeable. But after putting on Dinan Springs and Shockwave I don't miss the E46.
      09-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #15
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This nuance may be lost on you, but my point was that the x5 experience made me appreciate my 328 even more.
What nuance?

I don't doubt you love your car, I don't doubt X5 helped you fall in love all over again, 328 is a fine car, lots to like. But X5 helped you on what grounds exactly? What made you love 328 that much more other than handling and being more nimble (something you stated yourself: "my 328 felt even more sporty and nimble than before") ?

In my view, X5 has superior in fit and finish, much nicer interior and luxury feel, exterior trim, rim choices, not sure about features, looks being subjective, 328 has upper hand in handling of course.

What did I miss besides 328 is more nimble ?
I didn't mean to upset you, but in my opinion, it was you, not me who stated the obvious.
Appreciate 2
300hp316.00
      09-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What nuance?

I don't doubt you love your car, I don't doubt X5 helped you fall in love all over again, 328 is a fine car, lots to like. But X5 helped you on what grounds exactly? What made you love 328 that much more other than handling and being more nimble (something you stated yourself: "my 328 felt even more sporty and nimble than before") ?

In my view, X5 has superior in fit and finish, much nicer interior and luxury feel, exterior trim, rim choices, not sure about features, looks being subjective, 328 has upper hand in handling of course.

What did I miss besides 328 is more nimble ?
I didn't mean to upset you, but in my opinion, it was you, not me who stated the obvious.

I guess my feeling was that I had been driving my 328 for so long that it had become normal to me. After driving the X5, which is a great ride in my opinion for a car its size and height, and then got back in my own car, I was simply reminded how great the car feels and handles. I never tried to compare the SUV to it in terms of handling or nimbleness. It simply felt really good to get back in it. Nothing more.

To answer your question about what I missed besides it being more nimble, there are some things I ordered with my car that were not on the X5 that I really like, such as:
  • HUD
  • DHP
  • VSS
  • HK sound
  • Comfort Access
  • M-sport Wheel

I really like these options on my 328 and they were not present, nor expected, on a rental X5. The X5 was great without them, but getting back into my car after the trip was a treat because these options were there.

Regarding the exterior quality, I didn't notice any difference. Interior quality, the same. I read reviews that the X5 interior quality is better but I didn't notice any measurable difference and neither did my wife. I'm sure there is a difference since the 5 series is normally better quality, but I wasn't looking to compare it and nothing stood out to me.

All-in-all, I really liked the X5, even without the options to which I've grown accustom. But I'm waiting until the new X3 comes out next year before I decide. Either way, I'm keeping the 3er.
Appreciate 1
Bbb34730.50
      09-04-2016, 02:28 AM   #17
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Put the kid in the 340 today and boy do I miss the X5. Too old to bend down like that anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 04:41 AM   #18
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

It's common to bemoan what your car it or isn't, but nothing can make you fall back in love with it like extended time with other cars.

I had a G12 7-Series M-Sport for 4 days. I enjoyed it but was so happy to be back in my X3 which feel sportier, more connected to the road, has higher seating position and a beige and airy interior.

There is very little you can learn from a 20min test drive, so I'll do my best to drive as many different cars as possible before it's time to buy a new one.
      09-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #19
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

It gets even more difficult: from a no-frills X5 to a X5 M you can choose between fundamentally different suspension systems that define deeply different driving experiences.

You would need to try them all to decide what you like, but few if any sellers can offer to try them all - reading through forums, etc is better than nothing, but at least be aware of the strong differences and the need to understand them.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #20
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To answer your question about what I missed besides it being more nimble, there are some things I ordered with my car that were not on the X5......

I really like these options on my 328 and they were not present, nor expected, on a rental X5. The X5 was great without them, but getting back into my car after the trip was a treat because these options were there.
Fair enough I can certainly understand that .

Your original post though, what you said was not that you fell in love because of the options you have that were lacking on X5, but handling mostly. What I read was "higher, wider, heavier, puffed up version of my car" and "my 328 felt even more sporty and nimble than before". So, yes, I decided to have some fun with that, as you weren't comparing the cars in the same class, and clearly not the same options, handling between the two is always going to be massively different, so the way you wrote it the first time, it was obvious 328 is going to come on the top .

Quote:
Regarding the exterior quality, I didn't notice any difference. Interior quality, the same. I read reviews that the X5 interior quality is better but I didn't notice any measurable difference and neither did my wife. I'm sure there is a difference since the 5 series is normally better quality, but I wasn't looking to compare it and nothing stood out to me.
Not exterior, but interior fit and finish and materials used are in my opinion very different. In my opinion again, last iteration of 3 series just doesn't have the materials and fit and finish it should. Given what competition is offering and it's price tag, I feel there's a room for improvement there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #21
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
It gets even more difficult: from a no-frills X5 to a X5 M you can choose between fundamentally different suspension systems that define deeply different driving experiences.

You would need to try them all to decide what you like, but few if any sellers can offer to try them all - reading through forums, etc is better than nothing, but at least be aware of the strong differences and the need to understand them.
That's my experience too. I couldn't find a car with DHP to test drive. I researched this forum extensively and based in the information, I opted for DHP and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #22
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough I can certainly understand that .

Your original post though, what you said was not that you fell in love because of the options you have that were lacking on X5, but handling mostly. What I read was "higher, wider, heavier, puffed up version of my car" and "my 328 felt even more sporty and nimble than before". So, yes, I decided to have some fun with that, as you weren't comparing the cars in the same class, and clearly not the same options, handling between the two is always going to be massively different, so the way you wrote it the first time, it was obvious 328 is going to come on the top .

Not exterior, but interior fit and finish and materials used are in my opinion very different. In my opinion again, last iteration of 3 series just doesn't have the materials and fit and finish it should. Given what competition is offering and it's price tag, I feel there's a room for improvement there.
I'm not sure where you are headed. My op was pretty clear. I wasn't trying to compare SUVs with sport sedans. It was not a side by side detailed car review. I was simply saying the experience made me love my car even more.

Since you were interested, and because I like to be clear in my posts if I can, I responded to your posts to explain myself.

Now you are back with more. I think the best response now is, you're right.
Appreciate 0