F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
GetBMWParts

12-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #155
sk515
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i M Sport

Hmm the drop actually looks like the same height as my M Sport. This kinda aligns with bananachipz comment that your part # is for the M Sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #156
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk515 View Post
Hmm the drop actually looks like the same height as my M Sport. This kinda aligns with bananachipz comment that your part # is for the M Sport springs.
Yeah, the more I've driven it, the more I've realized it's the M Sport springs, NOT the M Perf Springs.

I'm actually ok with it though...I can't imagine a more FIRM ride. The dampeners/ARBs have changed the handling of the car DRASTICALLY.

Going off of purely non-track, winter tire impressions versus STOCK suspension:
1. Body roll has been reduced about 65%
2. Lane change maneuvers without body roll about 50%
3. Off/On ramp speed stability - I've gained about 20 mph without losing control of the car (limited by my standard seats lack of side bolsters!)
4. Turn in crispness - increased by about 75%

All in all, it's probably a combination of the M Sport Springs/ARBs + Upgraded Dampeners, but I'd like to think the $1500 I spent on the "suspension kit" was why it's all amazing now...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #157
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Yeah, the more I've driven it, the more I've realized it's the M Sport springs, NOT the M Perf Springs.

I'm actually ok with it though...I can't imagine a more FIRM ride. The dampeners/ARBs have changed the handling of the car DRASTICALLY.

3. Off/On ramp speed stability - I've gained about 20 mph without losing control of the car (limited by my standard seats lack of side bolsters!)

All in all, it's probably a combination of the M Sport Springs/ARBs + Upgraded Dampeners, but I'd like to think the $1500 I spent on the "suspension kit" was why it's all amazing now...
M Performance springs are red.
I don't think it will be that much firmer, I would go back to BMW and say that you want the extra 10mm drop.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #158
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
M Performance springs are red.
I don't think it will be that much firmer, I would go back to BMW and say that you want the extra 10mm drop.
If this kit's springs are like the other BMW models M Perf kit, then the springs rates are a good bit firmer and should be quite noticeable.
I believe the rate increase is like 48% firmer than the standard suspension and 34% firmer than the sport suspension, that's a good bit firmer. Plus, as you note, they lower the car by 10mm lower than the sport suspension.
I'd like to try those springs with my adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #159
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

Did you have the winter tires with the stock suspension?
I think that's what you meant, just wanted to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #160
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
If this kit's springs are like the other BMW models M Perf kit, then the springs rates are a good bit firmer and should be quite noticeable.
I believe the rate increase is like 48% firmer than the standard suspension and 34% firmer than the sport suspension, that's a good bit firmer. Plus, as you note, they lower the car by 10mm lower than the sport suspension.
I'd like to try those springs with my adaptive dampers.
I am just guessing based on the ride from the E9x performance suspension.
Yes it is firmer, but it doesn't feel like the ride is ruined or something. And since the F3x has such an improved ride over the E9x I think the ride will still be just fine for most people.

But I might not the best judge of what is acceptable since I'm running 20's with ultra low profile and soon coilovers on top of that
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #161
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I dropped off my F30 for a well deserved suspension "upgrade", and labor costs were:
LABOR FOR REPLACING FRONT STRUTS/SPRINGS,
FRONT SWAY BAR PLUS REAR SHOCKS, SPRINGS
AND REAR SWAY BAR (REQUESTING LABOR
PRICING)
$2,754.06
PARTS: $1400.

Apparently, the suspension on the F30 is rather intricate and intimately tied together...20-21 hours to upgrade everything.

So $4000 (including parts) is a bit...too rich for my tastes. I guess I'll just install front and rear sway bards/strut tower braces to tighten things up and replace shocks/struts when I need them in 100k miles.

Finally I got the very confirmed reply from my local bmw dealer after M Performance parts are released for purchase (considered as upgrading your bimmer). If your car is either in Sport or M Sport package, springs would be retained and new shocks are required, as well as the front & rear sway bars are required to installed too. Hope this can help a bit for u guys ^ ^.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #162
rob_h10
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renus View Post
Finally I got the very confirmed reply from my local bmw dealer after M Performance parts are released for purchase (considered as upgrading your bimmer). If your car is either in Sport or M Sport package, springs would be retained and new shocks are required, as well as the front & rear sway bars are required to installed too. Hope this can help a bit for u guys ^ ^.
I just purchased the M Performance suspension retrofit for my 2013 f30 335i sportline.. you should/can re-use your ARB's (front & rear).. the springs need to be upgraded. Front coil PN: 31-33-6-860-630 and rear coil PN: 33-53-6-860-621.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #163
Renus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_h10 View Post
I just purchased the M Performance suspension retrofit for my 2013 f30 335i sportline.. you should/can re-use your ARB's (front & rear).. the springs need to be upgraded. Front coil PN: 31-33-6-860-630 and rear coil PN: 33-53-6-860-621.

Yes bro., u r rite too. I am so doubt that if just the shocks and F & R sway bars upgraded but still using the same spring, your car won't be have the best suspension's performance especially on present Sport package, I hate the sound and feeling of stock spring, feeling I am bouncing on even on a slightly unflat or bumpy road
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #164
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
Did you purchase through your dealer. I think you might need a different p/n for the front springs if you have a manual or auto. Any info??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #165
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Did you have the winter tires with the stock suspension?
I think that's what you meant, just wanted to make sure.
Yes, unfortunately winters...sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
I am just guessing based on the ride from the E9x performance suspension.
Yes it is firmer, but it doesn't feel like the ride is ruined or something. And since the F3x has such an improved ride over the E9x I think the ride will still be just fine for most people.

But I might not the best judge of what is acceptable since I'm running 20's with ultra low profile and soon coilovers on top of that
Yeah, as of right now, I'm ok with the ride, just slightly undersprung.

Now that the springs and struts have settled (I've put on 350 miles), the squat is nice, and the ride isn't too bad.

I'm still waiting to get word from my SA. I would obviously like the correct red springs, but since I refused to pay for it, beggars can't be choosers.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #166
rob_h10
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
Did you purchase through your dealer. I think you might need a different p/n for the front springs if you have a manual or auto. Any info??
Here's what worked for me; BMW has an EKT catalog that is available online (google is your friend) and i used that to cross reference the M Performance suspension parts - the springs - that was required for my car (you have to provide your vin).. then i went to the dealers parts dept and had them check my research. They then used their BMW EKT catalog access to determine and verify the required parts for my M suspension retrofit project. And every part number matched exactly.. btw, that's where I learned that the stock ARB's did not have to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #167
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Wish this kit was not like this. Want to keep the car oem but be able to perform better on the track. That $2000 might be better saved towards a new car purchase but nothing is harder to do than to not get it NOW! Lol.

My name is phil. I am an addict (to modding). It hurts telling myself to just drive the heck out of it stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #168
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Here's what worked for me; BMW has an EKT catalog that is available online (google is your friend) and i used that to cross reference the M Performance suspension parts - the springs - that was required for my car (you have to provide your vin).. then i went to the dealers parts dept and had them check my research. They then used their BMW EKT catalog access to determine and verify the required parts for my M suspension retrofit project. And every part number matched exactly.. btw, that's where I learned that the stock ARB's did not have to be replaced.
correct....You already have sports suspension, thus you do not need the ARB's. With stock suspension, you must upgrade the ARB's.

Springs need to be upgraded regardless of what suspension you have.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #169
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Should rather than need.

I'm honestly doing fine with M sport springs and the M Perf Struts...

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #170
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: Springs are now in the united states, a number of them. Parts department said I could get them on the car by FRIDAY - and they are covering the re-installation free of charge since it was the wrong part.

Will I need red calipers to match the red springs??
#firstworldproblems

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #171
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: Springs are now in the united states, a number of them. Parts department said I could get them on the car by FRIDAY - and they are covering the re-installation free of charge since it was the wrong part.

#firstworldproblems
Shiv,

Did you confirm the CORRECT rear sway bar #? You sent the front, but the original # for the rear was considered incorrect in the ETK... Can you find out which one you got installed? Thanks man!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #172
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Shiv,

Did you confirm the CORRECT rear sway bar #? You sent the front, but the original # for the rear was considered incorrect in the ETK... Can you find out which one you got installed? Thanks man!!!!
Sorry banana for confusion, the rear was unchanged according to them, they were only waiting on the correct front...did you order the springs yet, they said it was "unlocked" for the NA market yesterday.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #173
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

#firstworldproblems
So what happens if you just add the Performance springs to a car that already has M-sport + Adaptive M? Is that the best OEM solution out there right now?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #174
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
So what happens if you just add the Performance springs to a car that already has M-sport + Adaptive M? Is that the best OEM solution out there right now?
you would be over sprung and under dampened.

It's a kit, all or none apparently. But of course, sold separately!

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #175
nano10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

i wish the difference between m sport and m performance was more than 10mm though, i wish it was more like 20mm
      12-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #176
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry banana for confusion, the rear was unchanged according to them, they were only waiting on the correct front...did you order the springs yet, they said it was "unlocked" for the NA market yesterday.
Still waiting on the springs. I'm getting them direct from BMW so hopefully they'll be here soon.

The swaybars are in though.... Saga continues!
Appreciate 0