F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Replacing steering column switch cluster on F3x...
GetBMWParts

03-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #1
gevoooon
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Replacing steering column switch cluster on F3x...

Hi there,

I am planning to replace my faulty steering column switch cluster (SZL) on my F30.

I have read a lot of info from forums and websites which that the new SZL unit has to be reprogrammed and steering angle sensor recalibrated, but all those pages are talking about E9x not F3x.

Is it the same for F3x? I don't think VIN is specifically injected to SZL for F3x. So what sort of programming is required? Is it only recalibrating the steering angle sensor which I guess can be done with Tool32?

Thanks a lot.
Gev
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevoooon
Hi there,

I am planning to replace my faulty steering column switch cluster (SZL) on my F30.

I have read a lot of info from forums and websites which that the new SZL unit has to be reprogrammed and steering angle sensor recalibrated, but all those pages are talking about E9x not F3x.

Is it the same for F3x? I don't think VIN is specifically injected to SZL for F3x. So what sort of programming is required? Is it only recalibrating the steering angle sensor which I guess can be done with Tool32?

Thanks a lot.
Gev
Tool32 is outdated and dangerous. Get yourself a working copy of ISTA which will give you all the BMW workshop guides along with all diagnostic procedures and even coding and programming.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Tool32 is outdated and dangerous. Get yourself a working copy of ISTA which will give you all the BMW workshop guides along with all diagnostic procedures and even coding and programming.
I'm in a similar situation with my F10. I have a working version on ISTA/D. I'm not sure how to use it. I'll be replacing my SZL. Can you provide a how to on reprogramming a used SZL to the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I replaced the SZL on my F30 when retrofitting some options, no reprogramming/calibration was required for it, and I have had 0 problems with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan84 View Post
I'm in a similar situation with my F10. I have a working version on ISTA/D. I'm not sure how to use it. I'll be replacing my SZL. Can you provide a how to on reprogramming a used SZL to the vehicle?
I've never had to do this before, but with a fully functioning version of ISTA/D with coding enabled and the latest full psdzdata you should be able to simply use this page in ISTA,

it's built for the lame excuse for "technicians" most dealers employ, and should be simple enough to figure out using basic common sense.

Also as roxxor stated programming may not even be needed.

Good luck!
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #6
Tritan84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Bumping thread.

I have a working version is ISTA and I can get to that page, but I get the same message even after performing the vehicle test. Any suggestions?
Also, how do I make sure I have the most current version of pszdata working with ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

My apologies for reviving an old thread but I have been experiencing problems with the horn in my car for a long time now and someone told me it is most likely the SZL. Did anyone face a similar issue before? I know that there's a hi-tone and a low-tone in the horn or something like that and one of them keeps cutting off then coming back randomly throughout the day. Could this be a problem with the horn itself or a SZL issue? And how would I go about diagnosing that myself if possible? I have an enet cable as well as a vgate BT OBD adapter and the diagnosis showed no errors.
Appreciate 0