F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Delivery Mileage
GetBMWParts

11-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
woderd
Private
Rep
Drives: boat

Mine had 59 miles on it....

JUst kidding!, still waiting to get ON the boat lmao
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #46
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

4 miles
      11-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #47
ItsmeAnuj
Rep
Drives: Honda s2000

Received at the Welt with 0.x miles. Dropped it off with 652 miles. I wonder how many additional miles will be on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #48
Pandarakus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

17miles on mine
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #49
Can258
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 & E53

5 kms
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #50
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Picked up mine yesterday with 4 miles on.
      11-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #51
KarenD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

4 miles
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #52
///MZ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - Austin Yellow

Last edited by ///MZ; 06-03-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #53
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Car has 1/4 tank of fuel. That's enough to be a powerful bomb (especially mixed with air). If interior delivery/fire regs were a concern, the car would have a tiny bit of fuel.

Surely the Welt was built with plenty of fire suppression, ventilation and smoke evac to meet standards.

Do they fuel fill the cars when you exit the bldg? Or, do ED buyers get to pay $7/gallon for fuel for their new car?
I was lucky if I paid $7/gallon. It was usually 1.70Euro(sometimes more) per liter ends up 2.21USD per liter, and it is 3.78 liters to gallon. so $8.35 per gallon. I paid 100 Euros for a tank of gas, almost $130!
And I was definitely disappointed the $50000 335i did not come with a full tank, fire risk is the excuse, because a half empty tank(fuel vapor+oxygen) is more at risk of an explosion than a completely full one.

My car had exactly 1.0 miles on it when I picked her up and 2338.8 when I dropped her off. Topeka is in Port Hueneme today so I should know in a couple weeks how many miles the shipping process added. If it is more than 5-10 I am yelling at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #54
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30SD View Post
And I was definitely disappointed the $50000 335i did not come with a full tank, fire risk is the excuse, because a half empty tank(fuel vapor+oxygen) is more at risk of an explosion than a completely full one.
Exactly my point. Fuel and air mixture will ignite much easier. I wonder if they don't let a car with a full tank of fuel park in an indoor parking structure.

Do they use the same rule for diesels?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Exactly my point. Fuel and air mixture will ignite much easier. I wonder if they don't let a car with a full tank of fuel park in an indoor parking structure.

Do they use the same rule for diesels?

It's not about explosive risk, it's about total volume and spillage. There are a lot of cars in the building at any given time.

Parking structures are made of concrete and have significant ventilation and fire suppression systems. And they're not intended to be filled with occupants.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #56
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It's not about explosive risk, it's about total volume and spillage. There are a lot of cars in the building at any given time.

Parking structures are made of concrete and have significant ventilation and fire suppression systems. And they're not intended to be filled with occupants.
Welt is built to hold cars and interior deliveries. BMW knows it, building officials, engineers, etc. know it. The bldg should be designed like its a parking garage.

Parking garages are not filled with occupants? How do those cars get in and out of the structure?

When it comes to public fire/life safety, 1 life is as big a deal as 20. At least thats the way it is in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #57
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Mine had 155 miles. but that's because it had been sitting on the lot for 1.5 years and had been test driven by many many people.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #58
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Welt is built to hold cars and interior deliveries. BMW knows it, building officials, engineers, etc. know it. The bldg should be designed like its a parking garage.

Parking garages are not filled with occupants? How do those cars get in and out of the structure?

When it comes to public fire/life safety, 1 life is as big a deal as 20. At least thats the way it is in the US.
Actually, in the US, life safety isn't nearly as important as you'd imagine believe it or not. Property protection is a much higher priority. It costs insurance carriers far more to rebuild a building than it does to payoff the next of kin of the souls lost. Sad but true.

Parking garages are not filled with occupants. People don't hang out or linger in parking garages. They have transient occupany. It doesn't really matter how the building was built. It's all about how it's used.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #59
shutterlife
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport AW

4 miles for me
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #60
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, in the US, life safety isn't nearly as important as you'd imagine believe it or not. Property protection is a much higher priority. It costs insurance carriers far more to rebuild a building than it does to payoff the next of kin of the souls lost. Sad but true.

Parking garages are not filled with occupants. People don't hang out or linger in parking garages. They have transient occupany. It doesn't really matter how the building was built. It's all about how it's used.
It's not a matter of imagining it, I live it. Fire and life safety is all about lives. Every major municipality, county and state designs their fire and life safety bldg codes around saving lives. Property is pretty much always secondary to lives.

In every locale I've built in, fire/life safety is the ONLY department that it difficult or impossible to appeal the ruling.

If you live in a city/town that puts property first, I'd move. Lawsuits with compensatory and punitive damage claims must be off the charts where you live.

http://www.nfpa.org/

Last edited by claykin; 11-16-2012 at 07:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #61
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not a matter of imagining it, I live it. Fire and life safety is all about lives. Every major municipality, county and state designs their fire and life safety bldg codes around saving lives. Property is pretty much always secondary to lives.

In every locale I've built in, fire/life safety is the ONLY department that it difficult or impossible to appeal the ruling.

If you live in a city/town that puts property first, I'd move. Lawsuits with compensatory and punitive damage claims must be off the charts where you live.

http://www.nfpa.org/
I live it too.

CURRENT building codes DO put a priority on actual life safety. But old/legacy/outdated codes are "grandfathered in" every single day because updates would be too expensive. Hell, just today I was discussing a site that we put an active smoke management system in 20 years ago. It was allowed as an alternative to sprinkling a high rise building that was changing primary usage. That system has not been functionally tested or maintained since the day it was installed. The local codes don't require it so it's never been done.

Interestingly, there's zero impact on insurance premiums if a minimally effective system on a given property is upgraded to current standards and codes. I learned this in a hospital I was working in. Things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface. Draw your own conclusions...

Sorry for the threadjack folks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #62
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live it too.

CURRENT building codes DO put a priority on actual life safety. But old/legacy/outdated codes are "grandfathered in" every single day because updates would be too expensive. Hell, just today I was discussing a site that we put an active smoke management system in 20 years ago. It was allowed as an alternative to sprinkling a high rise building that was changing primary usage. That system has not been functionally tested or maintained since the day it was installed. The local codes don't require it so it's never been done.

Interestingly, there's zero impact on insurance premiums if a minimally effective system on a given property is upgraded to current standards and codes. I learned this in a hospital I was working in. Things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface. Draw your own conclusions...

Sorry for the threadjack folks.
Not in South FL. Dwellings/Comm structures over 2 story that do not meet an updated fire/life safety code are not re-certified and in many cases cannot be insured.

Our bldg's are likely younger than yours. You've got some serious lobbying going on over there. Sad.

In this case we are talking about the BMW Welt, which just recently underwent an overhaul and surely was brought up to current code. Anyway, I don't believe they can't fill fuel tanks of cars being delivered there. At the very least they can have a runner top off the tank after the dog and pony is done inside the bldg. I think the reality is its just not customary to give a buyer of a $40K+ car a full tank of fuel in Germany. Even after they spend $$$ to fly over, etc... On the other hand you get some food and beer for free. To me, ODD!

Cultural differences?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #63
MI335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i x-drive

12 miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #64
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the reality is its just not customary to give a buyer of a $40K+ car a full tank of fuel in Germany. Even after they spend $$$ to fly over, etc... On the other hand you get some food and beer for free. To me, ODD!

Cultural differences?
The ED packet I received from BMWNA specifically addressed the fueling issue citing codes. The other issue is with shipping. On the off chance someone picks the car up and them immediately drops it off, they'd have to deal with removing fuel from the tank prior to loading.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #65
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The ED packet I received from BMWNA specifically addressed the fueling issue citing codes. The other issue is with shipping. On the off chance someone picks the car up and them immediately drops it off, they'd have to deal with removing fuel from the tank prior to loading.
Not trying to be argumentative, but I still disagree with the one solution fits all approach. Here's some simple solutions for BMWAG

1) Ask the customer if they are planning to drive the car after delivery and handle fuel accordingly based on their reply.

2) For customers who will drive in Europe, fill up car as they leave Welt. Have a runner/porter take the car for fuel just before customer departure.

Now, what happens for someone who drives around Europe and returns the car to the shipping port/carrier with too much fuel? I suspect it happens all the time and they do what they have to do. At $8/gallon I doubt the port staff would complain if they had to siphon some fuel and put into their own cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #66
Webbie335i
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

4 miles
Appreciate 0