F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thinking of getting a F31, but will a big dog fit the back of F31?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #1
ians
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i 6MT, 04 TSX 6MT

Thinking of getting a F31, but will a big dog fit the back of F31?

I currently have a 08 E92 335i RWD now. Was thinking of getting a Forester XT as a family car that able to carry our husky around. But then suddenly have the F31 come to my mind. So instead of adding a Forester XT to my stable, seems like trading in my 335i for a F31 M Sport is a more logical choice. Since my N54 335i has no more warranty. I test drove the F31 today and like it a lot. However, the limited cargo space is a bit worry me. I usually won't carry a lot of stuff around, just want to have enough space for my husky. So anyone carry their big dog with F31? Or you have to let the dog sit at the back seat
      05-26-2015, 11:59 PM   #2
HawaiianVibes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i RWD GC Sport line

I just traded in my F31 and loved every second of that car. Cargo space will look deceiving at times but will mostly meet all your requirements. Having your dog in the back is a bit of a squeeze, but is manageable for short distances. If your always going to have him or her in the back and take those long trips. Might want to consider another vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Seats down in a GC would have plenty of room for your Husky
      05-27-2015, 03:10 AM   #4
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

It's the lack of height that may be the issue, if your dog is fine jumping up and immediately laying down for the trip you should be fine. But if he likes standing up and moving around, the F25 is probably a better choice.

Last edited by ND40oz; 05-27-2015 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: fixed
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Have no problem getting our Dalmatian in back along with his bed.

We have a fully fitted liner (stops the dog, hair, mud etc).

Our other car has a huge amount of space and the problem then is our dog standing up too much - not great when having to brake suddenly or accelerate quickly.

Also with the F31 and boot liner, I can bung my mountain bike in the back with seats down before and after rides.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
ians
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianVibes View Post
I just traded in my F31 and loved every second of that car. Cargo space will look deceiving at times but will mostly meet all your requirements. Having your dog in the back is a bit of a squeeze, but is manageable for short distances. If your always going to have him or her in the back and take those long trips. Might want to consider another vehicle.
That's why I am originally looking into Forester XT, but after seeing a Estoril blue F31 M sport, I am just

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Have a family of 4 and the husky! seat down is not an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
It's the lack of height that may be the issue, if you're dog is find jumping up and immediately laying down for the trip you should be fine. But if he likes standing up and moving around, the F25 is probably a better choice.
rather keep my E92 and add a Forester XT instead of a X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

Our other car has a huge amount of space and the problem then is our dog standing up too much - not great when having to brake suddenly or accelerate quickly.

Also with the F31 and boot liner, I can bung my mountain bike in the back with seats down before and after rides.
So is the boot liner & dog guard for F31 easy to remove and put back? I used to carry my dog around with my 10+ yr old accord and let her sit at the back seat but that's the problem, she just like to stand on the seat or leave her front leg on my armrest which I think it is quite dangerous if I need to hard braking. But also dunno how bad it is if I got rear-end when having her on the back of a F31. First time owning a dog so really have no idea
      05-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

We have a baby and a small (20lb) dog and all of their sht and our sht in our F31. It doesn't even bat an eyelash and there's plenty of room.

Anything other than the husky? Pics?

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
It's the lack of height that may be the issue, if you're dog is find jumping up and immediately laying down for the trip you should be fine. But if he likes standing up and moving around, the F25 is probably a better choice.
Seriously, the cargo space linearly is the same as you will get in a Subaru or any SUV. The only difference is in the height, this is why when you look at cargo space they list it in cubic feet and SUVs come out higher. We used to have a '14 Q5.....listed as having more cargo space, but it's the same wheelbase pretty much as the F31 and same floor space front to rear with the seats down.

If the doggy loves to romp around and dart back and forth from side to side the height may be an issue. Or maybe it will help encourage him to sit and relax on the rides. There's plenty of room in the back for a dog to lay down.

Plus, you get the benefit of not being one of THOSE people cruising around in a Subaru SUV. LOL
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianVibes View Post
That's why I am originally looking into Forester XT, but after seeing a Estoril blue F31 M sport, I am just

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDave View Post
Have a family of 4 and the husky! seat down is not an option

Quote:

Quote:

So is the boot liner & dog guard for F31 easy to remove and put back? I used to carry my dog around with my 10+ yr old accord and let her sit at the back seat but that's the problem, she just like to stand on the seat or leave her front leg on my armrest which I think it is quite dangerous if I need to hard braking. But also dunno how bad it is if I got rear-end when having her on the back of a F31. First time owning a dog so really have no idea
Yes, the roll cover, dog screen, etc. are all easy to remove once you reference the manual.

I highly recommend getting the F31. What other current gen wagon has room and performs as well? The E350? No. The E63 AMG? Sure, but six figures. The Volvo is nice but even in R spec, it's just not up to par with the F31. If you can get your hands on one the V60 Polestars (they recently announced a new batch coming stateside), that will perform like the dickens, but interior space is not as big or well utilized as the Bimmer.

F31 really is big bang for the buck. And you can also get the Dinan tune if you need more power.

I really just want people to buy a ton of these so they'll bring back the 5 wagon, or dare I say it, I diesel wagon that doesn't come with an anemic 4 banger.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Apologies it's a UK site, however they are plenty of other companies that offer similar.

http://www.ukcustomcovers.com/custom...1-2012-onwards

It is a shame you lot don't get the 6 pot diesels.

In a Tourer format, having a 3.0 6pot engine with 8AT is excellent.

We recently covered over 1200 miles with our dog in back and our bags on back seat (saves on roof box lol).
You get that mix of power and mpg.

Ample room for our dog but not standing up, sitting and lying only, however standing can be an issue.
You can get custom heavy duty dog cages built in to car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #11
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

He'll be happier than this guy:

Appreciate 2
      05-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

The length and width dimensions are almost the same. I just moved my wife from forester to f31. The only thing u lose is height. This was not an issue for us because our dog lays down for the car rides.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #13
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
It's the lack of height that may be the issue, if your dog is fine jumping up and immediately laying down for the trip you should be fine. But if he likes standing up and moving around, the F25 is probably a better choice.
I guess it was too early in the morning when I originally wrote this, fixed the grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
I don't even see how the Forester compares, have you driven one? The CVT alone should keep it off your radar. The X3 is a much better vehicle all around then the Forester, go take a 35i DHP equipped model for a spin. We almost ordered one for my wife but she decided she'd rather try a wagon this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Yes, the roll cover, dog screen, etc. are all easy to remove once you reference the manual.

I highly recommend getting the F31. What other current gen wagon has room and performs as well? The E350? No. The E63 AMG? Sure, but six figures. The Volvo is nice but even in R spec, it's just not up to par with the F31. If you can get your hands on one the V60 Polestars (they recently announced a new batch coming stateside), that will perform like the dickens, but interior space is not as big or well utilized as the Bimmer.

F31 really is big bang for the buck. And you can also get the Dinan tune if you need more power.

I really just want people to buy a ton of these so they'll bring back the 5 wagon, or dare I say it, I diesel wagon that doesn't come with an anemic 4 banger.
And there's the biggest issue with the F31 in NA, you only get a choice between two 4 cylinders. But that's more then Audi gives you with the Allroad, so there is that.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Quote:
I guess it was too early in the morning when I originally wrote this, fixed the grammar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians View Post
I don't even see how the Forester compares, have you driven one? The CVT alone should keep it off your radar. The X3 is a much better vehicle all around then the Forester, go take a 35i DHP equipped model for a spin. We almost ordered one for my wife but she decided she'd rather try a wagon this time around.

Quote:

And there's the biggest issue with the F31 in NA, you only get a choice between two 4 cylinders. But that's more then Audi gives you with the Allroad, so there is that.
Forgot about the allroad. Once they nixed the avant and gave it a lift, I lost interest. Not a terrible choice in terms of space, but otherwise meh. Unless you live MMI.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
ians
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

have a S70 T5 before and made me never want to touch Volvo anymore. Benz is always not my cup of tea!

Quote:
Apologies it's a UK site, however they are plenty of other companies that offer similar.

We recently covered over 1200 miles with our dog in back and our bags on back seat (saves on roof box lol).

Ample room for our dog but not standing up, sitting and lying only, however standing can be an issue.
Thx, will take a look and do more research

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEIR View Post
The length and width dimensions are almost the same. I just moved my wife from forester to f31. The only thing u lose is height. This was not an issue for us because our dog lays down for the car rides.
BMW didn't give out trunk dimension to compare, the only info is the cargo space which is 495L but Forester has 800L

Quote:

Trade in E92 335 for F31 M sport cost almost the same as buy a Forester XT as an extra car. if I go for SUV route then I will keep the E92 for sure. But keep E92 and buy a new X3 is out of my budget. And actually, Forester XT is quite good as its price. It drive better than Q3. And already have a S5 so dun want another one with exact the same interior, plus dun like the looks of Allroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
Seriously, the cargo space linearly is the same as you will get in a Subaru or any SUV. The only difference is in the height, this is why when you look at cargo space they list it in cubic feet and SUVs come out higher. We used to have a '14 Q5.....listed as having more cargo space, but it's the same wheelbase pretty much as the F31 and same floor space front to rear with the seats down.

If the doggy loves to romp around and dart back and forth from side to side the height may be an issue. Or maybe it will help encourage him to sit and relax on the rides. There's plenty of room in the back for a dog to lay down.

Plus, you get the benefit of not being one of THOSE people cruising around in a Subaru SUV. LOL
Maybe it is better to force my dog laying down all the time

Quote:
We have a baby and a small (20lb) dog and all of their sht and our sht in our F31. It doesn't even bat an eyelash and there's plenty of room.

Pic of my E92 or pic of my husky? here are both

05-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ians
Quote:

have a S70 T5 before and made me never want to touch Volvo anymore. Benz is always not my cup of tea!

Quote:

Thx, will take a look and do more research

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEIR View Post
BMW didn't give out trunk dimension to compare, the only info is the cargo space which is 495L but Forester has 800L

Quote:

Trade in E92 335 for F31 M sport cost almost the same as buy a Forester XT as an extra car. if I go for SUV route then I will keep the E92 for sure. But keep E92 and buy a new X3 is out of my budget. And actually, Forester XT is quite good as its price. It drive better than Q3. And already have a S5 so dun want another one with exact the same interior, plus dun like the looks of Allroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post

Maybe it is better to force my dog laying down all the time

Quote:

Pic of my E92 or pic of my husky? here are both

Nice, they all look great!

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0