F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Nav update missed opportunity?
proTUNING Freaks

10-24-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Nav update missed opportunity?

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to take a longer drive and was using the navigation. About a hour into the trip a message popped up on the screen asking if I wanted to update the software. Since I was deep into an unfamiliar area and didn't know the impact of accepting the changes I selected the "update later" option. I was afraid it would shut down navigation during the upgrade process like my VW would when uploading changes off the SD card.

Is there a way to manually force the update to start? I've not seen any options to do this, but might be looking in the wrong places. Do I simply have to take another long drive with the Nav running and wait for the option to appear again?

Last edited by Desertnate; 10-24-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
ltaylorwarren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435i xDrive Convert

I would venture to guess that the update installed in the background and took effect on your next power cycle. The prompting for installing the update now just gives you an opportunity to install it the and force a navigation system restart. I don't think you missed the update, it was just done silently.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Thanks! This makes sense. I was under the impression the pop-up was asking about the entire process, i.e download/install, not just insallation of the update.
Appreciate 0