F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F32 Front Speaker Wiring Question
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

F32 Front Speaker Wiring Question

Hi all. I'm in the market for a 4 series, and was planning to do an audio upgrade for the USA HiFi system (NON-HK). I'm stuck at one point though, and having looked through the forums and the web, haven't found an explicit answer, so thought I'd see if I could get some advice.

What I want to do: run a fully active front stage to the tweets and the mids in the doors, using the existing wiring.

Question: from the amp/wiring harness (I'm planning to use a harness adapter), are there separate wires going to the mid and the tweet, such that I can do what I want to do without having to run additional wires?

From my search, I've heard some say they are wired in parallel. But I found a wiring diagram for the F30 (forgot the link), which showed a set (+ and -) of wires going from the amp to the mid, then a set from the mid to the tweet, then ONE wire back to the amp. I can't tell if this was symbolic, or the actual wires, but if they were the actual wires, it doesn't seem like its in parallel, as far as I understand it.

My second thought is to use a component speaker set, with a passive X-over in the door card, which would only require re-wiring the tweet, potentially. Is this a valid option, or will the stock wiring somehow not allow this setup?

Thanks for any feedback. I know this is a highly specific question.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

There is only a pair of wires for the speakers on each door = tweeter/mid in parallel = 7ch total OEM amp output for 9 speakers.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There is only a pair of wires for the speakers on each door = tweeter/mid in parallel = 7ch total OEM amp output for 9 speakers.
Thanks Technic. It is as I feared. BTW, a lot of the info I gleaned was from your posts

So I'd have to go with my second option
Appreciate 0