F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > F34 water leak in boot - don't think its Active Spolier drain holes
proTUNING Freaks

08-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #45
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Since you know where the water is coming in add some UV dye to water and use that instead of plain water. With a UV light and the correct yellow glasses you should be able to see exactly where the water is making its way past the gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #46
tom92673
Tom92673
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Convertible F33

I have a 2016 F33 with hk amp fried die to water from recent rains. The amp says BE B263. The salvage yards have a bunch of similar amps but all have different BE numbers. Are they all interchangeable?

I don’t know where the actual part number is listed so I can’t use realoem to identify the actual part numbers. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 02:03 PM   #47
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Thread hijacking is bad form. It also doesn't get your post seen by those most able to help. Using the correct forum is a good idea as well: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 04:01 PM   #48
tom92673
Tom92673
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Convertible F33

my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Thread hijacking is bad form. It also doesn't get your post seen by those most able to help. Using the correct forum is a good idea as well: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
My apologies. I did a search and it dropped a number of posts and I didn't look at the forum. Saw the discussion mentioning the amps and should have read more closely.

thanks for the link.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 02:00 PM   #49
rambleon84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 f34 GT 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
This is happening to me still. I thought it might have been the drains under the spoiler. I have had those clogged in the past and when opening the hatch then, any water that was pooled up would spill over the trunk. I am not getting that, my drains are still functioning.

Water is collecting on both sides, moreso over the battery carpet. See attached video. The drip is constant enough to pool around the battery and amp, I have to dry them out a couple times now. I am starting to think it's a seal somewhere but not sure where. The rubber still seams flexible and soft along the entire hatch, no cracking or brittleness. I think I will need to remove the trim and go lay in the boot and see if I can tell where it's coming from.

Has anyone had any luck with replacing seals? Any places to focus my attention? Any removed the trim around this area before, tips?

I have had to dry out both sides in the past, got caught out in the rain over night yesterday again though.

Update, did some testing with water. Pouring water here, it drains out from below the taillight under the car:

pouring water on the roof and letting it drain, produces rain inside the car in the same place i had that drip in the video above.

This upper seal isnt snapping in place and seems like i could easily pull it out.

So follow up question, is it just this upper most seal, nearest the roof that i need to replace. Or since the car is taking on water, that means something is wrong with the main seal going around the entire hatch?
This seems to have been the source of my leak. Just posting an update for anyone else who sees this. If your drains under the spoiler area are clear, check this weather strip. Car has been in several rains and a couple of car washes now, still dry inside 👍

Here is the part number: BMW-51767295600

Install was pretty straight forward, just clips up into position, make sure you hear/feel each section connect. Check that yours is fully snapped in, as you can see in my earlier post, one clip wasnt. When I looked closer the tabs that connect to one of the posts on the car were broken
Appreciate 6
      10-04-2023, 05:04 AM   #50
Wli110
Rep
Drives: BMW 335iGT

How does water get in there? How do you prevent it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #51
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wli110 View Post
How does water get in there? How do you prevent it?
As OP had proved, the horizontal seal strip insert has a double purpose: 1. seals the gap between upper edge of the hatch glass and the roof line. It touches underside of the hatch glass simultaneously with touching the roof edge; 2 - acts a gutter to redirect some of the water run-off from the roof to the sides of the hatch and into the side channels/roof gutters to drain it towards to and under the tail lights. Check yours with hatch closed. If you see gap between the seal strip and the roof or the hatch glass - investigate. Preventative measure - removal and clean up of all sealing surfaces. Then re-install.

I've checked mine a month ago and it was snapped in place correctly. Never the less, took it off, cleaned up all the sealing surfaces (strip and car) and re-installed. But will keep an eye on it from now on. Had wet weather for the past 8 days - no leaks. Thanks rambleon84
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1

Last edited by Oksamit78; 10-22-2023 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 11:21 PM   #52
angelforce
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
This seems to have been the source of my leak. Just posting an update for anyone else who sees this. If your drains under the spoiler area are clear, check this weather strip. Car has been in several rains and a couple of car washes now, still dry inside 👍

Here is the part number: BMW-51767295600

Install was pretty straight forward, just clips up into position, make sure you hear/feel each section connect. Check that yours is fully snapped in, as you can see in my earlier post, one clip wasnt. When I looked closer the tabs that connect to one of the posts on the car were broken
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0