F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 3 Series (F30) seat rust issue causes owner to destroy car in protest!
GetBMWParts

12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #155
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

hmm i just checked mine and there are some rust spots on the pan part, but not the hinge.

i guess ill have to ask them about it when i get them to switch the automatic stop start to save
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #156
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Wikipedia is NOT a valid reference for much of anything technical.

It is a wonderful reference for all things technical. Should you base calculations for designing a bridge off of it, no, but it is a perfect resource for understanding processes outside of your area of expertise (i.e. apparently everything for you). "Surface rust" can't spread? LOL so every little square millimeter of rust has always been exactly as it was? Piss off
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #157
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

There are some stupid motherfuckers out there, but this guy is really making an effort. His seat had rust on it, so he trashes his car? BMW offered to replace the parts, yet he demanded a new car because of rusted seats? You guys have to understand that this is a very stupid reason to get your panties in such a wad.

The seat rust issue makes the oil pump recall in the F10 M5 that some had to deal with look like a disaster of biblical proportions. Replace seat parts and everything is good to go, but no, this guy had to be a monumentally overacting, whiny bitch about it.

Find more important things to worry about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 12-07-2012 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #158
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
There are some stupid motherfuckers out there, but this guy is really making an effort. His seat had rust on it, so he trashes his car? BMW offered to replace the parts, yet he demanded a new car because of rusted seats? You guys have to understand that this is a very stupid reason to get your panties in such a wad.

The seat rust issue makes the oil pump recall in the F10 M5 that some had to deal with look like a disaster of biblical proportions. Replace seat parts and everything is good to go, but no, this guy had to be a monumentally overacting, whiny bitch about it.

Find more important things to worry about people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Korean guy's request for repairing or changing seats was rejected by BMW Korea at first, and that's why he was so upset, then he had to elevate the situation for asking a new car...
I see you drive 2008 BMW, and guess what, if you buy a new F30 and find your seats are rusted and ask for new seats to your BMW dealer, you may get the same ignorance from the dealer as Korean guy had because BMW is saying rust is NORMAL procedure!!!

Well, hope you enjoy your E90's clean seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #159
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post

It is a wonderful reference for all things technical. Should you base calculations for designing a bridge off of it, no, but it is a perfect resource for understanding processes outside of your area of expertise (i.e. apparently everything for you). "Surface rust" can't spread? LOL so every little square millimeter of rust has always been exactly as it was? Piss off

Wikipedia is the MOST reliable source of technology in these days, and that's why almost every students, including post secondary, and high tech companies are relying on Wikipedia. It depends, though, how you use it. Some old generations still rely on super thick encyclopaedia books.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #160
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rust will only develop if the metal is subjected to extended periods of time of high humidity/salinity. It's develops more rapidly at elevated ambient temperatures. A little known fact is that surface rust is actually protective for most alloys. Once it develops, it never goes any deeper. In this case, the only way you'll see an extensive bloom is if you park the car for months at a time with water sitting in the footwells or are close to an ocean. I'm guessing what we've seen up to this point developed while the cars were enroute on a very humid ship. Be careful tossing the word fact around. There are a million variables at play that can affect the outcome. I don't think anyone can definitively say what the affected cars have/have not been subjected to.

Regarding the claims of a health hazard, I'd love to see references to inhalation of rust particles leading to cancer (short of occupational exposure over extended periods). Regardless, the only way you'll ever be exposed to airborne rust particles is if you've mechanically disturbed it. There's nothing to motivate it to jump into the air otherwise. There are far worse hazards that you'll encounter during your day that should concern you more than rusty seat pans.

I'm not looking to pick a fight, I'm just trying to keep this in perspective. If anyone attempts to get help from their dealer making claims such as these they'll have an uphill battle for sure. You need to be rational and have reasonable expectations. I AGREE that it really shouldn't be there and that it should be addressed. But I also don't think it's the end of the world. It's a cosmetic issue, nothing more. Your opinion may vary.

I happen to like rusty BMWs:

That's why the Korean guy was so upset because he heard the exactly same thing as you said, from BMW Korea.....
They told him that 'every kind of metal is supposed to be rusted, and rust has no impact on safety issue, so it's very NORMAL to have rust on cars'
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #161
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Better translation from BMW Korea's official letter from OP's post; (refer to attached image)

- Seat frame is made of steel (Fe), and in general it has to be under rust preventative process, but in this case, we confirmed that the seat supporting part in red circle did not have rust preventative process and was assembled with seat cushion, then rust has developed as time goes by, so we fixed this issue since Nov. 2012 productions.
- This rust issue is not affecting the car's normal operation, but we will provide rust prevention service to all new 1, 3 series which released before Nov 2012, for quality improvement and customer satisfaction purpose.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #162
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
Better translation from BMW Korea's official letter from OP's post; (refer to attached image)

- Seat frame is made of steel (Fe), and in general it has to be under rust preventative process, but in this case, we confirmed that the seat supporting part in red circle did not have rust preventative process and was assembled with seat cushion, then rust has developed as time goes by, so we fixed this issue since Nov. 2012 productions.
- This rust issue is not affecting the car's normal operation, but we will provide rust prevention service to all new 1, 3 series which released before Nov 2012, for quality improvement and customer satisfaction purpose.
Does this memo exist in the US? I will probably take my car in and get it fixed if this has been issued for US cars as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #163
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
Does this memo exist in the US? I will probably take my car in and get it fixed if this has been issued for US cars as well.
I'm not sure about US.
But in Korea, BMW has quickly changed their stance in less than 24 hours and announced that all affected (rusty) seats will be replaced with new seats free of charge (??? WTF), after all media (TV, newspapers and online media) reported about "Rusty BMW" performance (?) by an angry owner in front of the flagship BMW dealer in "Gangnam" area.

Some media reported that BMW's 'Luxury Car" image has been hardly hit by the protester's performance and media's attention, and Audi is taking a good chance to be #1 spot in Korea.

(PS) Yesterday, BMW Korea said that there are total 5006 new F30 cars (manufactured between Feb. 2012 ~ Oct.2012) affected by rusty seat frames, and small number of 1-series cars, and all of the affected owners are notified by phone calls from BMW Korea service dept. and scheduled for "free" service (?)...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #164
Tra08R
Money never sleeps
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 - 2007

Bmw Fail

Profitability > Quality.

Fck Them
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #165
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Hey guys, when I saw a 328i in the dealership, I saw all this orange crap in the drain holes in the door, door hinges, and tons of it under the bonnet.

Just so happens that while I was researching before I ordered the car, I came across this which looks to be the same. Check out the top left part of the photo. In this case is it some kind of lubricant or is it rust?

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/BMW%...3series-07.jpg
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #166
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
It's obvious that this guy has some issues, and the car was just an outlet for him to express his anger. Come on man really? BMW should replace the SURFACE RUSTED!!!! part and send him a bill for the towing and storage.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #167
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep

Garage List
PDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
Hey guys, when I saw a 328i in the dealership, I saw all this orange crap in the drain holes in the door, door hinges, and tons of it under the bonnet.

Just so happens that while I was researching before I ordered the car, I came across this which looks to be the same. Check out the top left part of the photo. In this case is it some kind of lubricant or is it rust?

Thats lubricant for the hood hindge, the dealer probably could have done a better job with the Pre Delivery Inspection.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #168
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelvinMrBMWBey View Post
Thats lubricant for the hood hindge, the dealer probably could have done a better job with the Pre Delivery Inspection.
They could have selected a different colour of lubricant
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #169
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
I'm not sure about US.
But in Korea, BMW has quickly changed their stance in less than 24 hours and announced that all affected (rusty) seats will be replaced with new seats free of charge (??? WTF), after all media (TV, newspapers and online media) reported about "Rusty BMW" performance (?) by an angry owner in front of the flagship BMW dealer in "Gangnam" area.

Some media reported that BMW's 'Luxury Car" image has been hardly hit by the protester's performance and media's attention, and Audi is taking a good chance to be #1 spot in Korea.

(PS) Yesterday, BMW Korea said that there are total 5006 new F30 cars (manufactured between Feb. 2012 ~ Oct.2012) affected by rusty seat frames, and small number of 1-series cars, and all of the affected owners are notified by phone calls from BMW Korea service dept. and scheduled for "free" service (?)...
WTF...so we have to do this in the US in order to get BMWNA to respond?

Ok guys...who's willing to destroy their F30 for this.

BTW, dealer said it was "normal" and "happens to unpainted sections"...I told them it's unacceptable, but will wait for a recall...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #170
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post

That's cosmoline.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #171
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not lubricant.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #172
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok

Quote:
It's not lubricant.
Well what is it? In your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #173
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well what is it? In your opinion?
Cosmoline. In my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #174
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Is it really that big a deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
WTF...so we have to do this in the US in order to get BMWNA to respond?

Ok guys...who's willing to destroy their F30 for this.

BTW, dealer said it was "normal" and "happens to unpainted sections"...I told them it's unacceptable, but will wait for a recall...
So the seat bottom developed surface rust, big deal you get it repaired just like anything else. As long as human beings are developing machines thier will be an issue here and there. No reason to make a fool of yourself destroying your car, or going down to you dealer and raising hell. I think that people are forgeting that cars are made to drive, and by drive that means they are made to use. You dont by a car to simply look at it, and a car does not validate you as a person. It gets scratched, they get dented, they break it's just reality. You buy a car to drive it not question every nut and bolt looking for a problem. Sometimes what you think shouldn't happen just happens you deal with and move on with life.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #175
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Your right!

Quote:
Cosmoline. In my opinion.
I looked it up I was wrong calling it lubricant. However I do know you should have it removed during PDI.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #176
MelvinMrBMWBey
United_States
Rep

Garage List
It might be a cultural thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post

I sold VW's for a few years and had a Korean customer demand a new car because the check engine light came on several times. Turns out there was a recall on some valve easy fix in service cost nothing as a part of the warranty, none the less the guy really thought we would replace his car, like he ordered a steak and it was overdone...lol
Appreciate 0