F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Six New Ad Spots Feature BMW 3 Series F30 Technologies. Two to Air During Super Bowl
proTUNING Freaks

02-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #23
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
all of those new tech things matter now. For the enthusiast, which everyone here is, sure we want the most pleasurable car to drive. Well balance, fun, quick and so on. For the 99 percent of the population that isn't an enthusiast, they like cameras, and tech, and keyless. They still need to market the car to the overall population, not just us
Exactly. Sometimes i think most users here fail to forget that enthusiasts make up probably less than 5% of bmw's customers. Bmw is doing what they have to to stay compatitive and this marketing campaign targets the audience they need to go after. Plus they are funny, i had a positive reaction to them. I've seen some real corny car commercials recently.
      02-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #24
F80NJM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Hey honey, where the fcuk are you going? Haha
      02-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #25
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Disappointed!!!

Not one out of the six items from the ads contribute to the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

No LSD, no re-active suspension, no super light weight materials...
      02-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #26
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shicobico View Post
Sad. The new marketing slogan may as well say: We only make, one thing: The ultimate Toyota Corolla for young professionals and newly affluent families.

What happened to the ultimate driving machine? What does hands free trunk opening have anything to do with an ultimate driving machine? Reading texts? Comfort access? Cool and all, but too pedestrian and soccer-mommy oriented marketing for a brand that claims to make "ultimate driving machines".
Depends how you approach these ads. What really is the "Ultimate Driving Machine?" When BMW first started this marketing campaign, it was to show off the car and the segment they basically introduced/created - that is the driving dynamics of the 3-Series. By now everyone should now that is a staple of the 3-Series. With BMW, specifically the 3-Series, being so much more popular now, BMW can't continue to run with that, they had to market the tech especially to the Toyota/Lexus crowd. Now the Ultimate Driving Machine is driving dynamics + tech features (think complete package now). I don't see this as a cop out because this needed to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
Disappointed!!!

Not one out of the six items from the ads contribute to the "Ultimate Driving Machine".

No LSD, no re-active suspension, no super light weight materials...
This does nothing for the general public - they just don't care about it. Chances are if you're looking for these types of things, you're already an enthusiast therefore you don't need BMW to advertise these things for you. You think the average soccer mom cares about whether or not the 3-Series has a LSD when driving her kids? These ads are suppose to capture the general audience, not the 5% of BMW enthusiasts.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 02-03-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #27
Theride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006

Quote:
Sad. The new marketing slogan may as well say: We only make, one thing: The ultimate Toyota Corolla for young professionals and newly affluent families.

What happened to the ultimate driving machine? What does hands free trunk opening have anything to do with an ultimate driving machine? Reading texts? Comfort access? Cool and all, but too pedestrian and soccer-mommy oriented marketing for a brand that claims to make "ultimate driving machines".
With thought process like this, BMW would be making E30s forever. Or cars with a seat filled with grass padding.

How is keyless entry, keyless trunk, heated seats/steering wheel etc, taking away from the driving aspect of the car?

BMW or any car company are not making cars just for teenie boppers and people with racing in mind 24/7. They are making cars for everyone. And I shouldnt have to get a prius, a bmw, a porsche, an SUV, a mini bus just to accommodate the various things we deal with day to day.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #28
UltimateBlogger
Alexander
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i M-Sport

The memory seat ad didn't impress me. They're selling themselves short by not showing how the side view mirrors and steering wheel also automatically adapt to your driving position.

The rest was clever and fun. Short and sweet. Exactly what the Superbowl needs.
      02-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theride View Post
With thought process like this, BMW would be making E30s forever. Or cars with a seat filled with grass padding.

How is keyless entry, keyless trunk, heated seats/steering wheel etc, taking away from the driving aspect of the car?

BMW or any car company are not making cars just for teenie boppers and people with racing in mind 24/7. They are making cars for everyone. And I shouldnt have to get a prius, a bmw, a porsche, an SUV, a mini bus just to accommodate the various things we deal with day to day.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
F30 King
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

haha...nice ads.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

There are (or there better be) handles on the inside of the trunk so you don't have to mar the paint with your hands! Typical female...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:

Right. Because with the new technology they also made it a FWD, N/A 4 cylinder with a 4 speed automatic and cloth seats with fake carbon fiber and obnoxious lighting.

02-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Perhaps they are saving it for the M3..err 4... ad.
      02-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #34
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderlt View Post
LOL.. Steering wheel one was the funniest!
same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summall View Post
LOL. I like the handsfree trunk ad. Cute dog.
my second favorite if i had to choose.
The other 3 are meh...

Quote:

see answer below :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
all of those new tech things matter now. For the enthusiast, which everyone here is, sure we want the most pleasurable car to drive. Well balance, fun, quick and so on. For the 99 percent of the population that isn't an enthusiast, they like cameras, and tech, and keyless. They still need to market the car to the overall population, not just us
couldn't say it better... for those of us, already convinced, there is no need for commercials... since we are already sold (or in my case, ordered the car :P)

BMW should make a commercial to thank all of its past and current customers show casing the true potential and the joy and the pleasure and enthusiasm provided by the ultimate driving machine...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:

+1

6 ads. 0 related to actually driving. = 0% of commercials showcase the ultimate "driving" machine....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #36
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Everyone knows BMW is the ultimate driving machine...there hasn't been a question about that in the last 20 years... That doesn;t change with the F30...Like another poster said, nio one here is going to need a commercial to sell them...BMW is doing there best to get the buyers who are undecided between MB, audi, ....right now, technology and gizmos is the hot thing in cars.
      02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #37
Coni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:

Exactly! I was excited when BMW announced the change back to the Ultimate Driving Machine, but then it seems like that's all they did. They kept the stupid JOY campaign, but just slapped the Ultimate Driving Machine slogan on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #38
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

so wheres the driving of the ultimate driving machine?

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Why does it need to be driven? Do people buy cars based on seeing them driven on tv? The goal is to get someone in the showroom to test drive...i think they did a good job with these ads. if you are a bmw enthusiasts, you already know the F30 will be the benchmark again...imo
      02-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

I love how the baby just stops crying when he opens the door
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #41
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

LOL. Enjoyed the ads. Very funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #42
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:

No one said it takes anything away from the driving experience of the car. What I am personally saying (can't speak for others) is that the "driving aspect", the magical essence, the unsurpassed sporty character of a BMW has been largely neglected. These hideous BMW commercials have become so lame, techie-oriented, and have veered so far off the BMW 3 series core message (ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE), that they now are trying so hard, to appeal so a very pedestrian demograph, with simplistic gadgetry-commercials - which by the way, a game Toyota, Honda, Audi, MB, Cadillac and their cousins are also capable of playing, and playing very well - perhaps even beating BMW.

It just seems to me like a bunch of corporate execs sitting in front of a big screen power point presentation, voting on which commercial they think would move more cars. A campaign, devoid of any true BMW character.

Quote:

Ok, I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I would venture to say that very few members on this board have racing on their mind 24/7, or have even raced their car at all (teenie boppers - maybe). Anyway, you're still missing the point. It is very possible to appeal to more people, AND make great commercials ALL WHILE keeping your loyal customers engaged and excited AND sticking to your core message, outlining and highlighting what makes your product unique. It just takes creativity, and an unyielding belief in your product (not an unyielding belief in sales and numbers).

Any other car company can load their grocery movers with technology, luxury, and sell them cheaper than BMW ... no one but BMW can make a 3 series.

The competition is wiser:

1. Buick (FREAKIN BUICK!):

2. Cadillac

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 02-04-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #43
miko_10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 330i

The mom one was the best. It's good to see a humorous side of bmw, it adds to the cars character.

Last edited by miko_10; 02-05-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #44
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

These ads end with the tagline of "ultimate driving machine" but the ads speak nothing to driving at all. May as well be the ad for a Dodge Voyager minivan, given all the mommy features.