F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Top Gear's Hammond Dubs 3 Series F30 and BMW "Best Car Ever Made"
GetBMWParts

04-13-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
BMW seems to have hit the nail on the head with this car, they just need to iron out a few bugs with it.
Put the hydraulic steering back and this will be the one of the best 3 series ever!

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_m3 View Post
Put the hydraulic steering back and this will be the one of the best 3 series ever!
Choose option Sportsteering. Put it in Sportmode. Voilá.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Choose option Sportsteering. Put it in Sportmode. Voilá.
Doing that will have the same effect as the hydraulic steering??

A lot of magazines who review the new F30 3 series complain about the new electronic steering despite having 3 settings.

Hellaflush? All I could say is "effyo'flush","flushnuff", and Instead of 'illest', I'm calling it "faillest". It's just form over function nowadays...
-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Still is the best "bread and butter" 3-series ever.

Personally I believe the 'chatter' on the steering is over the top, something for the press and forums to talk about. The basic 328i steering that I tried was light, that's true, but precise, more precise mid position than my hydraulic steering is, in an E91 wagon (and from new).

Motoring in Europe has moved on, BMW is a brand driven by folks who are generally not car enthusiasts, so want lighter steering, the heavy feel of previous models has received criticism by many drivers.

IMO, the enthusiast needs the think "specification", sport steering for example. With correct options, there is something for virtually everyone.

My dealer principal, a car enthusiast and with BMW for many generations of models, told me he has never seen such a leap of progress in one model evolution, in all his years with BMW.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Angry

I don't get it. Why is everyone saying that if you want a BMW that can last for 10 years, you will have to pay a lot. Really? Do you guys actually own BMW? Maybe our family is that .001%, but we never have problem with our cars. 5 BMWs, 3 of them are more than 10 years old and guess what? They never have those big problems that cost us a fortune. This is why we love BMW. Fun to drive, practical, fuel efficient, and yet long lasting.
I will assume that you just abuse your car everyday if your BMW is not reliable.
OR yes, maybe our cars are really the minority, and probably that I will never find out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #28
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Doing that will have the same effect as the hydraulic steering??

A lot of magazines who review the new F30 3 series complain about the new electronic steering despite having 3 settings.
As a matter of fact I'd say 'yes'. Having had 7 hydraulic BMWs(e46/90/81) and one electric(F10)

And a lot of EU/UK mags find the steering actually just very good, if you choose the sportsteering.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #29
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
I don't get it. Why is everyone saying that if you want a BMW that can last for 10 years, you will have to pay a lot. Really?
It does not take a lot to research cost of ownership, you are welcome to do so. Higher tech cars cost more to fix.

Also, any 1 particular situation is never indicative of statistics as a whole. Your situation may mirror dozens of others on this board, but that does not mean that its the average scenario.

Personally, I would chuck out the $2-3k for the 6 year extended warranty once the 4 year is almost run out. My wife just spent $2000 on her 8 year old Prius, getting a water pump, new (starting ) battery, and new LCD screen/computer. And thats a Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
liang
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
I don't get it. Why is everyone saying that if you want a BMW that can last for 10 years, you will have to pay a lot. Really? Do you guys actually own BMW? Maybe our family is that .001%, but we never have problem with our cars. 5 BMWs, 3 of them are more than 10 years old and guess what? They never have those big problems that cost us a fortune. This is why we love BMW. Fun to drive, practical, fuel efficient, and yet long lasting.
I will assume that you just abuse your car everyday if your BMW is not reliable.
OR yes, maybe our cars are really the minority, and probably that I will never find out.
Your not the only one. I haven't had any problems with my car. Then again I take pride in taking good care of my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #31
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
I've only owned one BMW -- a 2006 E90 330i, which I just sold to make way for my incoming F30 335i.

In the seven years I owned it, most of the really important problems were taken care of in the warranty years. But one reason I sold it six months before I get my F30 is that normal maintenance was freakin' expensive.

At 85K miles, it needed new front brakes, an alignment, an oil change, new coils and plugs. I also insisted on a rear differential oil change, something a BMW dealer tech recommended to me. The work was done by a really excellent non-dealer BMW shop using OEM parts.

Cost? $1800. At the dealer, it would've been over $2500. Three months later I sold the car for $15000.

Even if the cars don't require a lot of maintenance (and mine didn't), what they do require is expensive, both in terms of the percentage of the value of an older BMW and in absolute dollar terms compared to, say, Hondas.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #32
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Still is the best "bread and butter" 3-series ever.

Personally I believe the 'chatter' on the steering is over the top, something for the press and forums to talk about. The basic 328i steering that I tried was light, that's true, but precise, more precise mid position than my hydraulic steering is, in an E91 wagon (and from new).

Motoring in Europe has moved on, BMW is a brand driven by folks who are generally not car enthusiasts, so want lighter steering, the heavy feel of previous models has received criticism by many drivers.
I've yet to test drive the new 328 to get to feel what all magazine reviews are saying, but I guess you might be right since you have actually driven both cars. A lighter steering is definitely a plus especially for non car enthusiasts. I hope with the new M3, the hydraulic steering should be retained. The heavy steering feel should be confined to the ///M cars, not on the new 328 and 335 models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
As a matter of fact I'd say 'yes'. Having had 7 hydraulic BMWs(e46/90/81) and one electric(F10)

And a lot of EU/UK mags find the steering actually just very good, if you choose the sportsteering.
I have to admit, I'm doubting the new electronic steering based on magazine reviews. I really have to test drive the new 328 to really feel what you mean.

-END RANT
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #33
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Did anyone else notice that when showing highlights of the new 3-series they used the Chinese only Li models???
      04-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #34
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
Did anyone else notice that when showing highlights of the new 3-series they used the Chinese only Li models???
I didn't until you pointed it out. I did notice that he raves on the 5 diesel. if anyone in NA (well maybe just the US) hears that and heads straight to the BMWUSA website they're going to wonder what the heck he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

My bad to rain on the parade but WHAT IS HE TALKING ABOUT!?1?!1?!!?!?!?! Cars that last!!!!! Lol, I buy BMWs because of how they drive and their inherent looks and visual quality. But after 3-4 years they begin to disintegrate and become poisonous to maintain. If you want a car that lasts buy a toyota land cruiser NOT a BMW
      04-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
sttlondon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
This makes me so happy, I can't even tell you.
you'll have to post pics..i like the color!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #37
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

I've had an Rx-8 for quite a while with electric steering and it's one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. I drove the new 3-series before I bought it and loved it just as much. Very precise, even though it's not heavy. I think a lot of people confuse steering weight with steering "feel."

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #38
uter
BMW nerd
Rep
Drives: E9, E28, E31, G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by engstrom View Post
I'm pretty sure James May owns a Z4.
Is that why Clarkson rags on Z4 owners as "wife swappers"?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #39
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I've had an Rx-8 for quite a while with electric steering and it's one of the best handling cars I've ever driven. I drove the new 3-series before I bought it and loved it just as much. Very precise, even though it's not heavy. I think a lot of people confuse steering weight with steering "feel."
Steering weight, as you say, doesn't automatically mean better road feel and feedback. Too much weight and it can numb the feel anyway.

There is a lot of talk on here as if the EPS is new, some E90/91 models have been usuing EPS for several years, so many drivers are already used to it in BMW 3-series models.

Also a hydraulic system is in itself no miracle product for precision. I was in a new Vauxhall Insignia sedan the other day with hydraulic steering, it was lighter than the EPS in the new 328i. The 328i's EPS was the better system, for road feel and precision.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #40
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Steering weight, as you say, doesn't automatically mean better road feel and feedback. Too much weight and it can numb the feel anyway.

There is a lot of talk on here as if the EPS is new, some E90/91 models have been usuing EPS for several years, so many drivers are already used to it in BMW 3-series models.

Also a hydraulic system is in itself no miracle product for precision. I was in a new Vauxhall Insignia sedan the other day with hydraulic steering, it was lighter than the EPS in the new 328i. The 328i's EPS was the better system, for road feel and precision.

HighlandPete
EXACTLY, I couldn't have said it better myself.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #41
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Maybe our family is that .001%, but we never have problem with our cars. 5 BMWs, 3 of them are more than 10 years old and guess what? They never have those big problems that cost us a fortune.
I've owned two, along with two Audis and two Volvos. I've driven the BMWs and Audis to high mileage, and the BMWs have been far less expensive to maintain. So I agree with you.

Quote:
It does not take a lot to research cost of ownership, you are welcome to do so. Higher tech cars cost more to fix.
True, and when you do your research, you will find that BMWs have about average reliability down the stretch. All cars have more technology in them than they used to.

Quote:
Also, any 1 particular situation is never indicative of statistics as a whole. Your situation may mirror dozens of others on this board, but that does not mean that its the average scenario.
You're right about the first part of that, but I think the "internet board effect" is working the opposite of the way you suggest. People who are having problems are far more vocal than people who aren't, and the preponderance of activity on these boards is from people complaining or seeking a solution to a problem. I don't think what we read here, as relates to reliability, is indicative of the greater experience.
      04-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #42
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
You're right about the first part of that, but I think the "internet board effect" is working the opposite of the way you suggest. People who are having problems are far more vocal than people who aren't, and the preponderance of activity on these boards is from people complaining or seeking a solution to a problem. I don't think what we read here, as relates to reliability, is indicative of the greater experience.
Absolutely! Generally speaking, happy owners don't go around posting up that they've had no issues whatsoever with their cars. On the other hand, those who have issues will post in order to vent or seek advice/solution.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #43
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
The F30 isn't that much more expensive than the E90 when it was first released in 2005 (2006 model year). IIRC, the E90 325i (base) was around $31,000 (US figures). The F30 328i MSRP starts at $34,900 but you consider how much more standard equipment you get, it's not that much more.
Base price may be about the same but configured price has gone way up. Example, I got a 2011 e92 328xi for $49,500 with nav, premium, convienience, m-sport and BMW apps. At the time I purchased it I had also configured an e90 with all the same equipment minus xdrive for about $46,000.

Yesterday I configured the f30 the same as I did the the e90 last year and the price came out to $49,500! So yeah, you can get a stripped version for about the same as before but they have greatly increased the price on options packages. An almost $4k bump in price is ridiculous. I love my BMW and was planning on getting another when my lease is up but now I'm not so sure. Might just buy mine or look at another manufacturer I can only imagine how much they're going to charge for the 4 series.
      04-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #44
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Absolutely! Generally speaking, happy owners don't go around posting up that they've had no issues whatsoever with their cars. On the other hand, those who have issues will post in order to vent or seek advice/solution.
Exactly!! If you search for 335i or N54/N55, you can see so many "BMW turbo failure" stuffs, but that doesn't mean it is the problem of the majority. My family and I never post the web saying how awesome our cars or anything we have been using are. Toyota is also one of the examples of that. People don't post about how long their Toyota last, but only post they can't stop their Toyota. And since media loves failure, people are going to enlarge the problem like this is the end of the world.
Appreciate 0