F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone getting the ActiveHybrid 3?
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #397
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjb View Post
Anyone else out there having problems with the A/C in their AH3?

My A/C blows warm air out the right side and right center dashboard vents. It's been in the shop a couple of times and seems to work ok for a week or two.....and then the hot right side problem re-emerges?

After the car and A/C have been running and have cooled down, the air temp from the 2 right vents is cooler....and might even finally feel the same as left 2.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Take it to the dealer.

I'm not particularly impressed by the A/C on this car. Sure, it does fine in <90F temps, but when it is really cooking here in Texas (100F+), it does seem to struggle to cool off the car, even with Max A/C engaged. Of course, I park outside all day, and my car is all-black
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:55 AM   #398
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
I am sure every car company in the world is looking at the lack of success in the highly successful Prius line and their Plug In Hybrid when developing future plans for their Companies.

Indeed. Porsche is taking an interesting chance with the Panamera E-Hybrid. I like the power train -- in a lot of ways it's identical to the design of the ActiveHybrid (powerful 6-cyl forced induction engine + 100HP electric motor in a parallel config, 8spd ZF transmission)

It's quite a premium though, but given Porsche's tradition of selling $10,000 brakes and $1000 glovebox liners, I think they'll be fine.

How well this car sells would be a predictor for how well an ActivePlugin would sell.
      09-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #399
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastoys View Post
The AH3 is the biggest waste of money. It's stupid heavy, costly, no faster than the 335i and the mileage is 3mpg more at best. If you live in Berkley CA and trying to keep up with your hippie friends I can see why one would buy it.
Mine's leased. Was going to get a 335i, but investigation revealed it was cheaper than a 335i - higher residual + incentives. I did get USAA discount this time too. Basically same performance but a little more technology and a silent ride quite a bit in the city. Over a 2010 335i, I'm doing almost 20% better for same style of driving, which is like $30-$40 cheaper on gas per month. So nothing to do with hippie.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #400
rjb
Rep
Drives: 2013 AH3

A/C fails in AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Eco-Pro mode or all modes?

I noticed this for the in mine but then everything seemed to balance out when around ~100 miles were on the car. I did not do anything to it to cause the change and have not seen anyone else mention it, so I *assumed* I was probably imagining it as I never measured the exact temp coming out of the vents.
**all modes.....

**I've now got in the shop for the 3rd time. First time, they said it had no coolant but couldn't find a leak. On the last go around, they had to wait for a part from Germany....and, the A/C seemed to work OK for a few weeks. Then, it started to degrade in cooling performance again. Today, a warm (~90deg) day in Miami, the system failed to be able to cool the car after running for >15 minutes. Again, the right 2 vents were blowing warm air and the left 2 vents cooler but not cold air with both temp dials down to 60.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #401
purpl3ish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Velvet Orchid M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Mine's leased. Was going to get a 335i, but investigation revealed it was cheaper than a 335i - higher residual + incentives. I did get USAA discount this time too. Basically same performance but a little more technology and a silent ride quite a bit in the city. Over a 2010 335i, I'm doing almost 20% better for same style of driving, which is like $30-$40 cheaper on gas per month. So nothing to do with hippie.
+100000, this was the same as me. didn't care about the extra weight, didn't absolutely need 6MT although I would've liked it again. my car is $475 with taxes and the regular 335 I built would've been $520, no brainer.
      09-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #402
TokyoBimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Active Hybrid 3

Got a black on black AH3 MSport in Tokyo this past July. Driven around 2500km so far and loving it. I understand everybody has an opinion, but do we have to say how stupid or a waste it is about fellow BMW or F30 lovers? FYI- in Japan the ONLY way to get the sweet N55 engine is to buy the AH3, so guess what? I chose the AH3. Either that or I would have to go 4 cylinder or diesel. I don't look at the AH3 as a money saver- but more top of the line technology. So honestly I'm not counting every cent saved per mile and depreciating it towards my purchase price. Maybe I'd do that with a Prius or Insight, but this is a NET 340hp driving machine. I choose to think of this system more like KERS in F1, a boost when I need it-which it does and thereby giving it better 0-60 times vs. standard 335. Anyways, thumbs up to all F30 owners worldwide and to each his/her own.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #403
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
Anyone else out there having problems with the A/C in their AH3?

My A/C blows warm air out the right side and right center dashboard vents. It's been in the shop a couple of times and seems to work ok for a week or two.....and then the hot right side problem re-emerges?

After the car and A/C have been running and have cooled down, the air temp from the 2 right vents is cooler....and might even finally feel the same as left 2.

Any ideas or suggestions?
I would suggest getting if fixed ASAP. If you look back in my threads I had a nightmare. If AC goes out the whole car goes out. It will cook the CPU and Hybrid Batteries. My car was in the shop for 28 days waiting on a part from Germany. Every system in my AH3 shut down.

The problem was a small hole in the AC pressure line. Probably when I went from sea level to 12300ft. Change in pressure. Anyway it started blowing warm and then went out. Then everything just went nuts. Engine errors cooling and charging failures. If the Hybrid system is not being cooled it will get so hot it will cook the batteries.

Long story short. AC is very important and after fix my AC is unbearably cold. Even in Sept in Florida. Car is freezing in 5 minutes.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #404
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
**all modes.....

**I've now got in the shop for the 3rd time. First time, they said it had no coolant but couldn't find a leak. On the last go around, they had to wait for a part from Germany....and, the A/C seemed to work OK for a few weeks. Then, it started to degrade in cooling performance again. Today, a warm (~90deg) day in Miami, the system failed to be able to cool the car after running for >15 minutes. Again, the right 2 vents were blowing warm air and the left 2 vents cooler but not cold air with both temp dials down to 60.
I think you'll end up being happy if they replace the main cooling line. I think they had issues with this part. Maybe a weld or something. Like I stated I live in Tampa area and now my car is freezing after 5 minutes and its been hot as crap and my car is black.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #405
cblandin
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, Volt, XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
...Personally what I'd like to see is a plug-in ActiveHybrid 3, with a 15-20 mile all-electric range and double the electric power (100HP). In boost, that could mean I can make my work commute and only have the engine come on when I'm accelerating on an onramp.

But it seems clear from BMW's roadmap that their plugin hybrids will most likely be N20-based or below, and I'm not sure I want an engine downsize either. Oh well.
Ditto on the plug-in hybrid, and I'm guessing we will see exactly that in the next gen 3 series (or some variation on the EREV theme as seen in the upcoming i3).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #406
the1beard
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 F30

ActiveHybrid 3 is a monster in sheep's clothing total Q car.
Around town it's waft central like being in a limo and on the open road it's a 335i with KERS on top!
If it were an F1 car the pootling around town is like pootling around the paddock.
Like a 335i only using less fuel.
And in the UK less insurance and less road tax £120 vs' nearly £500 VED

Second hand they are worth a look if you're a low mileage user who still likes to have the feeling you're driving an M car As I do less than 6,000 miles a year the numbers kind of work.

Q and more I don't think I could drive a 4 pot 328i or an oil burner.

The AH3 around town is so luxurious and limo like it's worth having the electric motors just for the luxury waft feeling.

Genius

FYI 1 USmpg = 1.2009499255398 UKmpg so 26 us mpg = 31 uk.

Last edited by the1beard; 09-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: add US to UK mpg conversion
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #407
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1beard View Post
ActiveHybrid 3 is a monster in sheep's clothing total Q car.
Around town it's waft central like being in a limo and on the open road it's a 335i with KERS on top!
If it were an F1 car the pootling around town is like pootling around the paddock.
Like a 335i only using less fuel.
And in the UK less insurance and less road tax £120 vs' nearly £500 VED

Second hand they are worth a look if you're a low mileage user who still likes to have the feeling you're driving an M car As I do less than 6,000 miles a year the numbers kind of work.

Q and more I don't think I could drive a 4 pot 328i or an oil burner.

The AH3 around town is so luxurious and limo like it's worth having the electric motors just for the luxury waft feeling.

Genius

FYI 1 USmpg = 1.2009499255398 UKmpg so 26 us mpg = 31 uk.
You serious? an F30 335d will leave it standing on the drag strip and at the fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #408
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Whether or not it'd be faster at the drag strip or better at the pump, it still can't quite emulate an hybrid/electric car's ability to be totally silent under 30mph, which is really really obvious when you're stopped at a red light or looking for a parking space.

The 328i loaner I had made me realize I forgot how much a car vibrates when idling, after spending 12000 miles in a car whose engine is almost always off when stopped.
      09-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #409
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Whether or not it'd be faster at the drag strip or better at the pump, it still can't quite emulate an hybrid/electric car's ability to be totally silent under 30mph, which is really really obvious when you're stopped at a red light or looking for a parking space.

The 328i loaner I had made me realize I forgot how much a car vibrates when idling, after spending 12000 miles in a car whose engine is almost always off when stopped.
I guess if you value that then you look forward to the days of full EV.

I'm not one who thinks the 'new' generation cars need to be quieter, smoother, more assisted, so very happy with my gruff IC engine. I didn't buy a 328i as I felt it was too smooth

I do a lot of miles, so fuel efficiency is important to me, that is why I drive the 6 cylinder diesel. It knocks the AH3 out of the park when it comes to that. But perhaps you've finally explained the point of AH3, it is quiet and smooth at city traffic speeds.....oh and it allows people in certain parts of the US to drive in special traffic lanes, got it
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #410
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
i think the AH3 is pointless really and only good for looking for parking spaces in a jammed lot and not wasting gas, that is if the battery doesnt get to 7% first. on a 90% full charge the electric motor can barely go 1 full mile and thats below 25mph or else the gasoline motor kicks in. i got a loaner the other day AH3, drove a few hundred miles with normal driving and averaged 24 mpg. My f30 335 gets 23.7mpg with normal driving. whats the point of paying the 10k premium? this car was only made to appease the govt. i was expecting to get like 35+ mpg but not even close. i really dont see the point of this car
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #411
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
oh and it allows people in certain parts of the US to drive in special traffic lanes, got it

That it does not. Only the Porsche Panamera E-Hybrid does that. In order to qualify for that, there's a strict set of rules that essentially boil down to it must be a plug-in hybrid AND while operating off the engine, the engine meets the PZEV emissions class.

I totally agree with you that if you drive a lot of highway miles and not a lot of stop-and-go miles, the diesel will get better fuel economy. BMW expects the diesel to be a good seller. I don't think they expect the ActiveHybrid to be any more than a novelty/specialty car to appeal to a few people who don't mind paying a couple thousand (or less if leasing) on the premium. If anything, they're using us to beta-test their EV components . And potentially your next generation Auto Start Stop too.
      09-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #412
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
i think the AH3 is pointless really and only good for looking for parking spaces in a jammed lot and not wasting gas, that is if the battery doesnt get to 7% first. on a 90% full charge the electric motor can barely go 1 full mile and thats below 25mph or else the gasoline motor kicks in. i got a loaner the other day AH3, drove a few hundred miles with normal driving and averaged 24 mpg. My f30 335 gets 23.7mpg with normal driving. whats the point of paying the 10k premium? this car was only made to appease the govt. i was expecting to get like 35+ mpg but not even close. i really dont see the point of this car

Where on earth are you getting a 10k premium from compared to a F30 335i?
      09-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #413
the1beard
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93 F30

For low annual mileage say 5,000 a year and 90% city driving at avg of 15mph the AH3 makes sense second hand vs a diesel as in the uk they're £5,000 + cheaper £5,000 which easily makes up for the slightly lower mpg.
New at list price vs the 330d /335d no.
Even so after have had a diesel for the last few years it's a relief to have a petrol engine again the smoothness makes for a more luxurious driving experience, well when compared to the truck which was my 3.0d X5. Which averaged 16mpg in London stop start traffic getting 27mpg from the AH3 and that glorious n55 soundtrack when I get onto an open road a comparison with any diesel is not worthwhile.

If I was doing double the mileage buying new and driving at average speeds above 50mph then a diesel would be the financial better option but even then the AH3 with the n55 in sport mode would be my personal choice I need a few years away from oil burners which just don't have that complete sport feel and sensation sometimes more is more.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #414
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Where on earth are you getting a 10k premium from compared to a F30 335i?
Let's not ruin a good spin on a story with the truth!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 03:57 AM   #415
acyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3

Hi all,

Brand new on the forum I was reading this thread with interest. I just got a new AH3 few months ago and wanted to share my experience.

In the end, all discussions about energy and fuel consumption are futile compared to the feeling you have driving this car. It is just amazing !

I had the chance to drive in Germany a couple of months ago and used the sport mode to finally see what the engine can really do and I can tell that even at 220 km/h (~140mph) when you push the pedal your head bumps back (unfortunately I was not able to go faster due to too many road works). In addition, when decellerating and reaching 160km/h (~100mph) the engine stops providing a really great feeling.

All that at an average of 7 l/100km (~33.5mpg) consumption.

I would be interested if any of you had different experience (or same...)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #416
bjvincent
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3, 2015 X5

Just wanted to echo the positive reviews on the AH3... I took European Delivery on mine in late June, and after a long wait, it finally arrived here in Northern California last Friday.

I'm embarrassed to admit that despite doing speeds up to 120 mph on the Autobahn, I have still never had the guts to floor this car! It is already so fast (and yes, I'm also being careful due to engine break-in.)

I have no interest in showing off the car as a hybrid to others... in fact I have just completely de-badged the car and think it looks much cleaner that way. I bought the car because I like the technology, the smooth start/stop, the electric drive up to 45 mph in Eco Pro mode, using A/C without the engine running, etc. etc. For me, there is just something very satisfying about sitting at a stoplight, or in traffic, without wasting gas.

So far, I would say the EPA estimates of 25 city / 33 hwy are pretty accurate. Sure, I would have liked to see better... but mileage isn't everything! My last car was a Toyota Camry Hybrid that got 40 mpg, but to me, driving the AH3 is worth every extra penny in gas (and then some).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #417
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvincent View Post
I have no interest in showing off the car as a hybrid to others... in fact I have just completely de-badged the car and think it looks much cleaner that way. I bought the car because I like the technology, the smooth start/stop, the electric drive up to 45 mph in Eco Pro mode, using A/C without the engine running, etc. etc. For me, there is just something very satisfying about sitting at a stoplight, or in traffic, without wasting gas.
I agree and have considered debadging it too. I don't really care what others think of the car but I don't want to feel I need to justify it, nor do I want anyone to get me confused with someone who particularly cares about Eco, because I don't. My two previous cars were both 500HP supercharged Jaguars and my next car may well be something else naughty. I keep looking at C7 Corvettes so who knows... but back to what you are saying. I feel the branding is over the top, and especially those badges on the C pillars which are completely unnecessary.
      09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #418
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
I agree and have considered debadging it too. I don't really care what others think of the car but I don't want to feel I need to justify it, nor do I want anyone to get me confused with someone who particularly cares about Eco, because I don't. My two previous cars were both 500HP supercharged Jaguars and my next car may well be something else naughty. I keep looking at C7 Corvettes so who knows... but back to what you are saying. I feel the branding is over the top, and especially those badges on the C pillars which are completely unnecessary.
Agreed. Mine was completely debadged within hours of (finally) getting her home. Much cleaner, and if people really want to know, it's still on the doors sills and shifter surround.

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0