E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > $ justified: piano vs. high gloss finish

12-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
The Accountant
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: n/a

$ justified: piano vs. high gloss finish

Originally posted in the general/UK forum, I understand there is an individual package in Australia, better chance of getting help from the aussies I think.

Ordered the coupe with Piano trim but....

Cost is about euro 1,000 vs. no charge for the black high gloss (plastic) trim with dakota leather.

The BMW woods in fact seem similar to plastic (although they are wood).

The question is, should I save the cash and swtich to high gloss trim or is the piano black actually nicer?

I know it isn't going to be euro 1,000 nicer, but will it actually look better at all?
2008 metalic black 320d coupe, black dakota leather, sport suspension, piano trim, i-drive professional, PDC front/rear, prologic 7, 6FL, heated seats, full electric sport seats, comfort access, folding mirrors, adaptive headlights, bluetooth, 189 wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

I was having the same problem as well. I looked at both and i couldn't spot the difference between the two. Its only when you tap the trims with your finger you understand which one is which. Id say save the money and get high gloss, mainly because visually there is no difference.For my car i chose burr walnut trim in the end, it went well with saddle brown leather.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

+1

Everything except the aluminium trim looks like glorified plastic to me so that is why I went for the aluminium trim. At euro1,000, save your money for other mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
+1

Everything except the aluminium trim looks like glorified plastic to me so that is why I went for the aluminium trim. At euro1,000, save your money for other mods.
?? The aluminium trim looks like glorified plastic to you, so you still got it....??
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Accountant View Post
Originally posted in the general/UK forum, I understand there is an individual package in Australia, better chance of getting help from the aussies I think.

Ordered the coupe with Piano trim but....

Cost is about euro 1,000 vs. no charge for the black high gloss (plastic) trim with dakota leather.

The BMW woods in fact seem similar to plastic (although they are wood).

The question is, should I save the cash and swtich to high gloss trim or is the piano black actually nicer?

I know it isn't going to be euro 1,000 nicer, but will it actually look better at all?
I'd save the money and get the high gloss, still looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
?? The aluminium trim looks like glorified plastic to you, so you still got it....??
personally i think it looks like a tin can, but hey...
      12-31-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
What I was trying to say was that all the woods looked like glorified plastic (to me at least). The aluminium looked real. It all comes down to choice. When I purchased my E39, my wife insisted on the walnut trim even though I was not a fan of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
What I was trying to say was that all the woods looked like glorified plastic (to me at least). The aluminium looked real. It all comes down to choice. When I purchased my E39, my wife insisted on the walnut trim even though I was not a fan of it.
Lol, i didn't read the except part... one of the downfalls of reading posts after a few.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0