F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPod Classic Crashing?
proTUNING Freaks

09-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

iPod Classic Crashing?

Has anyone else had problems with an iPod Classic either crashing or locking up when plugged in using the combox? I'm trying to decide if our problem is the car's fault or the iPod's fault. It often crashes or locks when you first plug it in, or when restarting the car with it plugged in. But today it crashed (or rebooted itself) when we were driving down the highway.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Let me turn that around: Is anyone successfully using an iPod Classic that doesn't lock up or crash from time to time? In particular, one that lives in the console all the time?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

I found an old iPod mini that I hadn't used in years and gave it a shot. Everything was good for a solid week when all of a sudden, boom, iPod crashed and I lost all music.

Most recently I found my old 160GB iPod Classic and it lags very bad and freezes quite often. I don't think I'll be using it in near future, probably going to stick to the iPhone.

I'd say the problem lies in using HDD based MP3 players.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Balzz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F97 X3M

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2021 X3M  [0.00]
Yup. Have to reboot the iPod every couple days.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
DaveyCee
Awaiting Delivery
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Mine is working pretty much solidly and has been for 5 years - I've got one of the 60Gb ones.

Having said that, this winter it refused to switch on during cold weather, so I think the battery pack is starting to go. I just can't decide if I should go for a 160Gb iPod Classic or just buy a few 64Gb USB sticks and save myself some money.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

I have an original iPod mini that is real old. I updated the OS as far as it would go and the car will not even recognize it. I then plugged in my 3rd gen mini, works no problem. Idrive supports what it supports I guess. I would not hold my breath for an iphone5 dock either.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Jtrevill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Have a 80 gig iPod classic I've been using for about a week. So far it has locked up one time when I first started the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
stoonbmw3
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328 sport xdrive

I had that problem, then my bluetooth phone connection started to drop calls with a high-pitched noise right before the "drop". The dealer said it was a faulty combox and has ordered a replacement. Ask the dealer to replace the combox.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoonbmw3 View Post
I had that problem, then my bluetooth phone connection started to drop calls with a high-pitched noise right before the "drop". The dealer said it was a faulty combox and has ordered a replacement. Ask the dealer to replace the combox.
Actually, we've since tried a different iPod (older model) which works a lot better. OTOH, we've had problems with static doing music streaming from an iPod 5, so there could also be combox problems. Although I've seen lots of complaints online about bluetooth problems with iOS6 and various vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #10
Kozality
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport w/xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Has anyone else had problems with an iPod Classic either crashing or locking up when plugged in using the combox?
I have. I connected my 160GB iPod Classic to the USB port in the armrest, and a few times it would be playing a song, then suddenly stop. iPod would be locked up on the BMW screen, but the iDrive would report no iPod connected. This happened 2-3 times after picking up the car.

It's been a few days and it hasn't happened again, but I'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

After trying the old 80 GB iPod, and it working mostly fine. I tried another brand new 160 GB classic. It's locked once in two days. That's not enough to be sure it shares the problem, but not a good sign.

I'm starting to think it's a general problem with the latest Classics. Apple has all but orphaned the Classic, so I don't expect a fix from them. Does anyone have a recent 160GB classic that _doesn't_ have this problem using the enhanced BT combox?

(BTW, the bluetooth static problem seems to have gone away with the latest BMW bluetooth update.)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

My 60gb classic works like a champ and never has issues ....

My iphone4S OTOH has missing playlist songs frequently...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

I haven't had any issues with my 120gb ipod classic. I've only had my car for about a week now, but this is the same ipod classic and BMW y-cable that I used in my old E90 without any problems for the 4 years I had that car.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

The new unit has continued to lock about once a day.

BTW, this is with the enhanced USB/BT feature, so we're doing audio over the a normal iPod USB cable, not the Y-cable.

I wonder if the 160GB version is more sensitive to vibration?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

have the same problem and have the same thought that it was the ipod freezing, then start to realise the ipod did not freeze/hang, it is the usb connection that doesn't seem to be very stable.

When ipod stop playing music, i could just quickly pull out the usb cable and reconnect it, and music starts playing again... at least this is faster than trying to take the ipod out and hard-reset/restart it...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
have the same problem and have the same thought that it was the ipod freezing, then start to realise the ipod did not freeze/hang, it is the usb connection that doesn't seem to be very stable.

When ipod stop playing music, i could just quickly pull out the usb cable and reconnect it, and music starts playing again... at least this is faster than trying to take the ipod out and hard-reset/restart it...
Interesting. Are you using just the USB cable, or the Y cable? What does the iPod display show prior to doing this? We've seen it hang on the BMW screen or the normal iPod display, which might match your experience (and my wife just told me this happened yesterday and replugging the cable did in fact help.) But we've also seen it go back to the "apple" logo and reboot itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

Quote:
Interesting. Are you using just the USB cable, or the Y cable? What does the iPod display show prior to doing this? We've seen it hang on the BMW screen or the normal iPod display, which might match your experience (and my wife just told me this happened yesterday and replugging the cable did in fact help.) But we've also seen it go back to the "apple" logo and reboot itself.
USB cable from apple. Didn't take note of displays (in a case), but its either Te bmw combox logo or iPod menu
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I've got an iPod classic connected with the Y-cable. Most of the time it works fine, occasionally it will crash and not show as connected via the i-Drive screen. Usually syncing it with my computer after that happens does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
bmargolis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Has anyone else had problems with an iPod Classic either crashing or locking up when plugged in using the combox? I'm trying to decide if our problem is the car's fault or the iPod's fault. It often crashes or locks when you first plug it in, or when restarting the car with it plugged in. But today it crashed (or rebooted itself) when we were driving down the highway.
I have a 160gb iPod Classic that lives in the console hooked up using a BMW "Y" connector. Every once in a while, maybe twice per month, it locks up and I need to hard reboot it. (hold the menu and center button until the Apple logo appears). It always works after that and I've never lost anything on the iPod.

I'm using a "Y" cable because with an Apple white USB cable, it will go into "Alvin and the Chimpunks mode" and play everything at a very fast speed. Apple even replaced the iPod and the new one did the same thing. I also had the exact same issues with this iPod in my 2012 550i xDrive.

2013 335i xDrive – 6-speed, AW, M Sport Line, Cold Weather, Dymanic Handling, Premium, Technology, 403M, Black Grills, Carbon Caps, Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
Jtrevill
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I was using an old iPod classic and had the iPod lockup every couple of weeks. Recently updated to an iPod touch and have not had a single lockup. I suspect the problem is with the old iPod.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Victor54
Rep
Drives: 328 Sport line, Mineral Gray

I've had my car for two months now, been using an iPod Nano all the time. Not one crash / freeze in all the time. I've got the Pro Nav with enhanced bluetooth.

Yesterday bought an iPod classic, loaded some songs onto it. This morning plugged it in and drove to work, worked perfect. When I got back in to drive home, the iPod was dead / frozen, meaning I had to do a reset to get it working again.

Plugged it in, started the car, it froze again immediately, then reset itself. The iDrive was showing the track playing and album as unknown, and when trying to read from the iPod it crashed immediately. This cycle kept repeating itself.

I unplugged the ipod, got it to play a song by itself, then plugged it in via the USB cable. Only then did the iDrive pick up the song title and album art. I thought all was fine, but halfway into the song it froze again! It reset by itself, but this time after resetting it went back to the song it was playing before the froze. It played for roughly 10 seconds before crashing again. This repeated about 4 times, until I went into the menus and was able to select another artist.

After this it's been able to continue where it stopped when I got out, did some shopping and restarted the car.

Overall, it seems to be something in the BMW-iPod signal that's causing the crashes, as my other iPod Nano works flawlessly.

BTW my climate was not freezing, nor was there any vibration that could have caused this.

So to answer the OP, no it's not just you, seems to be a common problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #22
terryn
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi Sport line

My iPod Classic 80GB worked for the first two weeks with a USB connection just fine, other than being a little sluggish. Now it has started to lock up and not be recognized by the car. It would be unfortunate if classics are not compatible, since they are the only ones with a large enough capacity to hold all my music.
Appreciate 0