F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is it acceptable if an employee of a dealership used your car to commute?
Studio RSR

05-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #23
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Generally I don't mind if it's a hard to diagnose issue. I had it with a sunroof rattle. As long as the car isn't abused it's fine with me.

I just want the problem fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
icwhatudidthere
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Test drives are fine, even long test drives, especially for problems that only show up intermittently. But at the very least, it should be disclosed. A simple line on the service writeup like Test Drive Performed or some justification.

A service department shouldn't be a free-for-all for the techs to pick and choose what car they wanna take home for the night.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #25
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I think that's fucked up and don't agree it's only a car. You are "hiring" the dealership to work on your car. If they have to drive it to solve issues then it's good, but in this case the car was driven for personal use which was not cleared. If you hire a refrigerator guy to fix your fridge is he also entitled to drink the beers in the fridge just to make sure they are cold? C'mon.
I mean, jeez, it's "only" a beer. What's the problem?

When you drop your shirts to be dry-cleaned, you don't let the owner wear your shirt? I mean, you aren't wearing it at the time, right? He just wants to test out the cleanliness, right?

From the OP, why is no one concerned that the SA hasn't returned messages to the OP? Says to me like he knows his tech shouldn't have done it. If it was part of the normal diagnostic, why not respond right away saying so? Never, never, never ignore your customer.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #26
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinnrice View Post
Normal practice. My buddy is a shop Forman for BMW. If they see fit to take it home for test ride then they will. I asked him what if something happens to it... BMW will pay up.
Grab a beer and enjoy the weekend.
LOL of course your buddy thinks it is normal practice; he is the one joy riding and knows BMW will foot the bill if he damages the car

OP, take it to another dealer where the SA sees things the way you do

Others might be ok with random joy riders but if you aren't you don't have to be; take your business elsewhere
Why would you assume that it's a joy ride? Why couldn't he be taking on a drive in real world situation for testing after the fix? Some city some highway?
So why would they take a clients car out for a joy ride when they can take any car off the lot home for a joy ride?
Sure take it to another dealer. Guaranteed they are going to do the same.
      05-27-2016, 05:30 PM   #27
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
Quote:
Normal practice. My buddy is a shop Forman for BMW. If they see fit to take it home for test ride then they will. I asked him what if something happens to it... BMW will pay up.
Grab a beer and enjoy the weekend.
Well except for this infamous case:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=386265
I'm not saying every single case... There's always a bonehead everywhere we go. It's life.
I rather trust a dealer than a Sullivan tire etc...
      05-27-2016, 07:35 PM   #28
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Why would you assume that it's a joy ride? Why couldn't he be taking on a drive in real world situation for testing after the fix? Some city some highway?
So why would they take a clients car out for a joy ride when they can take any car off the lot home for a joy ride?
Foremen at our local dealers do those test drives all the time, on city streets and highways, with the customers in the car to discuss the concerns and troubleshoot together. The test drives are mostly done during business hours, and if customers are not present, it is rarely more than 5-10 miles.

This specific question was brought up to one of the foremen, and his reply was that if it cannot be reproduced at the dealer, there is no reason to believe it can be reproduced anywhere else. He did ask me to leave car overnight so that he can test out cold starts(to track down brake squeaks) at cold early morning hours, but the mileage is carefully logged on invoice.
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2016, 08:25 PM   #29
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For 60+ miles? OP said he took it home to "commute". Those are the facts presented. You can change the facts any way you want to get your desired answer, if that's your intent.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

It's generally not an issue if the repair requires road testing.

For example when my diesel was having emissions issues the technician had to put 50 miles (ie take car home) on the car to reproduce the problem.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #31
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
For 60+ miles? OP said he took it home to "commute". Those are the facts presented. You can change the facts any way you want to get your desired answer, if that's your intent.
60 -100 is nothing.
I'm guessing you all would blow up the dealer if they take it for a 500mile ride.
      05-27-2016, 10:31 PM   #32
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Like I said it's a norm. And it's a norm that there are techs that will take the car for a spin. Ether way OP will get his answer.
      05-27-2016, 11:05 PM   #33
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

It is such a coincidence that this thread came up.

I took my car in to have my headlight replaced a couple weeks ago (5m old car), and when I got it back I noticed a couple things:

1) my car was on the fuel reserve which was not how I gave it to them. This is the first time I went on the fuel reserve, so I got curious as to why they drove it in the first place and where they went such that it burned enough gas to get into the Fuel reserve.

2) My camera (Thinkware F750 securely mounted to my windshield) was rattling when going over bumps which it hasn't done since I installed it.

Upon further investigation, I found the following:
For 1), since they updated the software, the trip computer was reset. It had 10 miles since the last reset (so the dealer drove it at least 10 miles), with an average MPG of 11 or so (were they drag racing or what?). The passenger seat was tilted back and the headrest was up all the way (i keep it at the bottom always), so someone was sitting in the passenger seat.

For 2), I checked my camera immediately but to my surprise, it recorded almost nothing! I found two clips where they were driving, but they were short. I heard the tech turn off the camera (it beeps before turning off which was recorded). So I wondered what happened to the footage before they started driving (he was already on the road then, and the camera starts recording the moment the ignition is on).

I left my micro-sd adapter in the center compartment, so although I can't prove it, I feel like they took the card out of the camera to delete the footage of them driving the car. This could explain why my camera now makes noise over bumps (i.e. they didnt know how to get it out somehow loosened it in the process of getting it out). Although this seems crazy, I have no other explanation of why the camera did not record the clips of the car once it was started.

To top this off, my active sound doesn't work anymore with the new update so the car is super quiet. Also, the throttle response is extremely weak compared to how it was before. I have to really jam on the pedal in sport mode to get it to hit peak torque (seen on sports display), and it thinks for a while before it gives it to me. Overall, my visit left me extremely disappointed.

Next time, I am going to put a note on the damn camera that says DO NOT TOUCH!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #34
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
60 -100 is nothing.
I'm guessing you all would blow up the dealer if they take it for a 500mile ride.
You are joking, right? Would I blow up if they drove my car the equivalent of the distance from Philly to Columbus, OH?--an 8 hour trip. You bet your ass I would.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-28-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #35
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I've had my service rep call to ask if he could take my car home to make sure my "tricky intermittent issue" was fixed. Of course I said yes, and it was a good thing I did because it broke down in 13 miles. It got fixed right that time though.

I'd be pissed if they didn't call to check first if it was outside the normal road test during business hours thing though. I'd never say no, but I think it's good business practice to keep your customers informed if the car is not locked up where they think it is.
^ this. It should only happen with prior notification and specific permission. Any other scenario is unacceptable.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #36
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Gee, how nice would it be for the police to show up at your house with video of your car in an unlawful situation? Think the police would just say "Oh, OK"? Or would that be a job for the lawyer you'd have to hire?

Call the dealership and talk to the GM. Let the GM know you are giving him the courtesy of speaking to him before you call your attorney. This is completely unprofessional and the Service Manager is covering his butt hoping you don't go up the ladder.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #37
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Like I said it's a norm. And it's a norm that there are techs that will take the car for a spin. Ether way OP will get his answer.
Repeatedly saying it doesn't make it true.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-28-2016 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #38
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
60 -100 is nothing.
You are joking, right? Would I blow up if they drove my car the equivalent of the distance from Philly to Columbus, OH?--an 8 hour trip. You bet your ass I would.
Then you should just buy a Kia. When you need a oil change just throw away the car and get another. World revolves around simple mind fucks.
      05-28-2016, 02:27 PM   #39
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then you should just buy a Kia. When you need a oil change just throw away the car and get another. World revolves around simple mind fucks.
If you don't mind the dealer driving your car 100s of miles needlessly to hear a rattle, then you are the simple mind that should buy a Kia. Why don't you give the SA $5 to get himself an ice cream cone while he's at it?

Last edited by tex2670; 05-28-2016 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #40
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't mind the dealer driving your car 100s of miles needlessly to hear a rattle, then you are the simple mind that should buy a Kia. Why don't you give the SA $5 to get himself an ice cream cone while he's at it?
My SA and I grab lunch and ice cream all the time. You should try Hyundai then. I heard they give anal plugs for anal people.
      05-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #41
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My SA and I grab lunch and ice cream all the time. You should try Hyundai then. I heard they give anal plugs for anal people.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be. Maybe the EMFs in the car are affecting your thought process.

Make sure to tell your SA to fill up your car with gas when he returns it Monday morning after his weekend trip to the mountains.

Last edited by tex2670; 05-28-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #42
jinnrice
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be.

Make sure to tell your SA to fill up your car with gas when he returns it Monday morning after his weekend trip to the mountains.
I am shocked that you know what my SA does for me. Don't be so anal. Let it be a lesson for you.
      05-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #43
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am shocked that you know what my SA does for me. Don't be so anal. Let it be a lesson for you.
Wait, what? Your SA does anal for you? We didn't need to know that--it all makes sense now.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #44
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I've had my service rep call to ask if he could take my car home to make sure my "tricky intermittent issue" was fixed. Of course I said yes, and it was a good thing I did because it broke down in 13 miles. It got fixed right that time though.

I'd be pissed if they didn't call to check first if it was outside the normal road test during business hours thing though. I'd never say no, but I think it's good business practice to keep your customers informed if the car is not locked up where they think it is.

This.

I think this is the best way for any dealer to approach the situation.
Appreciate 1