F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Apple CarPlay retrofit for F32 - worth it?
Studio RSR

03-07-2024, 09:17 AM   #1
morcsekovszky
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Hey.

I dont use navigation which is built in, for obvious reasons the Waze app is superior for me, only using that.

Cant really put my phone to anywhere, I dont like to disturb the natural beauty of the interior, I dont like on vents etc. The one I might use is the Kies style, I dont know.

I have big screen originally, but thought about changing it so I can use AppleCarPlay wirelessly and Waze.

But I want to keep !original sound quality! michrophone, steering wheel control etc. also the original menu.

So everything original just with a nice CarPlay. I know, there maybe not such a thing I can make 1-2 little compromise however too much disadvantages makes it too cheap i might just stay.

Have anyone tried such thing, how is it and which product? Main question is sound quality, control from wheel etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:54 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Can't comment much on Carplay since I use an Android. For a phone mount/charger you should get a Rennline mount. They also sell a Magsafe style wireless charger that mounts to it. It provides a super clean look with the F3x interior. You can run a USB cable through the dash and down to the passenger footwell for power.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 05:29 PM   #3
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
The solution depends on the model year of your vehicle and your original equipment. The head units on 2016 and older vehicles have only 2GB of memory, leading to bugs and crashes when attempting to retrofit, as I found out. The answer in this case is to replace the head unit with a later unit with 4GB of memory. Newer vehicles may be able to be updated by coding.
While Apple CarPlay may have more features than the vehicle’s GPS, it won’t work in areas with no cell phone service.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 09:53 PM   #4
TX552
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i, 21 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morcsekovszky View Post
Hey.

I dont use navigation which is built in, for obvious reasons the Waze app is superior for me, only using that.

Cant really put my phone to anywhere, I dont like to disturb the natural beauty of the interior, I dont like on vents etc. The one I might use is the Kies style, I dont know.

I have big screen originally, but thought about changing it so I can use AppleCarPlay wirelessly and Waze.

But I want to keep !original sound quality! michrophone, steering wheel control etc. also the original menu.

So everything original just with a nice CarPlay. I know, there maybe not such a thing I can make 1-2 little compromise however too much disadvantages makes it too cheap i might just stay.

Have anyone tried such thing, how is it and which product? Main question is sound quality, control from wheel etc.
Reach out to kubax86 for coding options.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 01:37 PM   #5
lllRazorlll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

I will always be a proponent of Apple CarPlay, especially in a car that had it as an option. Definitely a huge quality of life improvement. I made two videos on retrofitting Apple CarPlay and on the Rennline MagSafe phone mount:

Appreciate 3
      03-11-2024, 07:52 AM   #6
morcsekovszky
Rep

Thanks guys!

I will stick with the Rennline.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 11:11 PM   #7
Salty B.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT MSport

Garage List
Rennline.

Bought the Bimmertech box to go between head unit and... the rest of it, before the generic versions were common. Works fine but occasionally won't wirelessly connect so I have to either delete the phone and re-pair it, or connect via USB.

All in all, a great upgrade.
      03-13-2024, 12:59 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
I will always be a proponent of Apple CarPlay, especially in a car that had it as an option. Definitely a huge quality of life improvement. I made two videos on retrofitting Apple CarPlay and on the Rennline MagSafe phone mount:

Another vote for Rennline mount. East to install. Perfect fit.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 02:10 PM   #9
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I just recently installed fullscreen carplay on my 2017 F32 (with id6) since my connected drive subcription ended and the bluetooth functionality on idrive was being wonky (kept resetting playlist etc)

Benefits of idrive:
Better music gui (see full list of upcoming songs on screen and on hud)
nav directions on hud
better map functions (auto zoom, etc)
Better gui interface (carplay controls are very wonky and infuriating with the idrive controller if you have to do any advanced functions)

Benefits of carplay
better integration with playlists (no longer resets to first song in alphabetical order every time i turn on the damn car )

Considering fullscreen carplay was $60 from easy bimmer coding and connected drive is $99+/year it seemed worth it to make my music work better- still not happy with the controller functionality in carplay but im willing to live with it
      03-16-2024, 12:59 PM   #10
drhome
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30

I've bought MMI prime for my 2013 BMW F30, I have to admit that the installation and trim removal was a huge pain in the a** but that was worth it. The only thing which is missing for me is this "bass support" which was mentioned in the remarks. But as the guys above have said it also depends on the year of manufacture of your car maybe there will be a better solution for you which less interference to the whole car like mic's replacement etc .
Anyway GL, fingers crossed for ya!
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2024, 01:16 PM   #11
morcsekovszky
Rep

Thanks!

Was thinking about MMI prime yes.. the only thing they mentioned is the sound quality and im too critical on that.

Will order reinnline mount, and buy a case, hope it will solve the problems

Thanks
Appreciate 0