F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Perfectly positive thread - express BMW love
ARMA SPEED

07-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
black_beauty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: a really nice BMW

Perfectly positive thread - express BMW love

No whining, complaining, accidents or malfunctions, no jerky people parking too close to your beloved BMW, no acidic bird poops that eat paint.

Simply why do you love your car? The way it performed, felt, brought you a smile, joy?

For example. This morning. A tight, two lane highway doing 60+, guard rail on left lane and small shoulder on right lane. Subaru Outback in the right lane, I'm about to pass left as the road starts turning left, it was open, I had it and there was enough room. As I'm accelerating to pass, the subaru veers left, into my lane and all of a sudden there was not enough room to pass. Nailed the brakes smoothly but very firm and a possible accident becomes simply a not so close call. Car slowed quickly and in control. Took the turn and road mostly straightened, subaru moved back into his/her own lane, thank you very much, and off we go...

Brakes are fantastic, car is always in control whether braking, accelerating, turning, cues the driver into knowing what the car can and can't do and boy, it can do a lot!

En-JOY it!

Last edited by black_beauty; 05-04-2015 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #2
Trajan265
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X-Drive M-Sport

'13 335ix 8AT M-Sport

There is so much to love about this car. The engine is a piece of artwork. Smooth power delivery that pulls fairly hard from any revs. It has a great sound that isn't rude or annoying, but lets you know it is there and ready to go. The brakes are incredible. They bite hard and the car doesn't get out of shape no matter what you try to do. I love the multiple personalities the car can display between eco-drive and sport+, it makes you feel like you aren't even in the same car. I simply love getting into it every day and I can't imagine driving anything else.

When I first test drove the F30, I couldn't believe how far along cars had come. I had just retired from a career of driving a Ford Crown Vic and had a take-home 2007 Impala. It was amazing how bad that car was... Anyway, it had been quite a while since I had any car worth driving.

Many years ago I was an avid racer of autocross, SCCA Solo I hillclimbs and track events in a '75 Datsun 280Z in various forms of modification from stock all the way to a fully stripped/caged GT-2 race car. There is something about the N55 that reminds me of the old L28 in the Z, although they made their power in such different ways. I guess it is the smooth revving inline 6. I also drag raced a couple of Fox body Mustangs in the early 90s and I still can't get over how much had to be done to a 5.0 to get close to the 1/4 mile times put down by a stock 335.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning the love of the car and starting this thread. By reading some of the other threads, you wouldn't get a feel for how great of a piece of engineering the car really is.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Before buying a BMW I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, although I did not doubt that there must be something to make so many people fans of the brand. After owning one recently, I can say that I feel like I'm joining that fan club (waiting for the honeymoon period to be over first though). The handling, gadgetry, engine, aesthetics and attention to detail (for the most part) make this one awesome all-in-one package! For me, I would say that most points go to the engine, handling and attention to detail in execution/integration of various features. The rest can probably be found in other brands as well.
      07-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
cwazy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

coming from an old c-class MB, I was use to the fact that sport and comfort modes literally meant the same thing. Now that I'm in a 328, I can actually feel the difference (and a big one at that) between comfort and sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
BlueRoundel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Before buying a BMW I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, although I did not doubt that there must be something to make so many people fans of the brand. After owning one recently, I can say that I feel like I'm joining that fan club (waiting for the honeymoon period to be over first though). The handling, gadgetry, engine, aesthetics and attention to detail (for the most part) make this one awesome all-in-one package! For me, I would say that most points go to the engine, handling and attention to detail in execution/integration of various features. The rest can probably be found in other brands as well.
This x100. Before I drove and owned a BMW between me, my colleagues and friends used to say how anyone who buys a BMW are just wasting their money. Why buy a BMW when you can get cars that have better performance figures and faster for way less money than a BMW?

It wasn't until when I had the chance to drive one, then it dawned on me that BMW with their rear wheel drive and constant hype on weight distribution...maybe they are on to something here. I have never driven a car where once I sat in it and started driving it I felt comfortable and at home with the car. What really stood out for me was the handling and how balance the car is. The driving "dynamics" of the car is really good. Sure a STI or an EVO will go faster, but in my opinion a BMW is a more complete and balanced, therefore a better car than the 2. And the interior of the car is simply a better place to be in.

Now my response when people ask why I buy a boring BMW rather than a faster car for less money I say to them drive a BMW, your whole perspective on BMW cars will change and you'll see for yourself why its loved by so many
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

It's about BALANCE. Performance and comfort in a package that lets you use everything the car has to offer without feeling like it's compromised in any important way. I build computers in the same way; there's no point in buying a rockin' video card and tying it to a lower-end processor. I adore my car.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I like how it makes my butt feel smaller.
      07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Dcarter15
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Msport

Never been happier with any other car. Everyday feels like the day I took delivery and I look forward to waking up every morning and starting my hour commute to work. Didn't think that could ever be possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
It's about BALANCE.
This x1000.

I'll add that aside from balancing sport and luxury perfectly, BMW is one of very few (2 others I can think of) luxury sports car makers that bothers to put the engine in the right spot - on or behind the front axle.

I studied mechanical engineering and vehicle dynamics, and part of why my handle is S4NoMore is that I learned anything other than 50/50 weight distribution is referred to technically as an over- or under-steer car. Audis are understeer cars. I don't like that, my brain focuses on it and the drive is ruined, even if they do a decent job of hiding the understeer.

BMW sets the bar for vehicle dynamics, it's well-known and accepted, and this includes the delicate balance between comfort and performance handling.

Appreciate 1
      07-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Just love getting in it and drive, then park it and stare while going to the store, work, ...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
black_beauty
Private
United_States
Rep

That's so wonderful, thanks for the expressions of joy!

So many good points. Having both luxurious comfort and incredible driving dynamics is probably where BMW excels past all others. Love the point; yes, you can go faster in something else and yes, you can buy a car that's more comfortable and luxurious but no other car delivers both of those qualities as good as a BMW. It is like multiple personalities, mild mannered Clark Kent, cruising down the road in comfort mode, chilling out, enjoying the scenery and then he rips off his suit, becoming Superman in Sport mode, screeching his wheels on every turn. That's the BMW, drive it the way you want it because it does all of those things very well!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #12
black_beauty
Private
United_States
Rep

My 335i was delivered yesterday and I couldn't be more thrilled. Woke up early this morning looking forward to driving it again. Feel so fortunate to be able to enjoy a car as much as this.

Hope you all are having as much fun with your BMW's!!!

Enjoy it all, it's special to have such amazing cars and to enjoy driving them so much
      07-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
bedensbrook
Grand Air Marshall
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 6sp ED 10/7/17

I am in the middle of a European Delivery as I post this (ED on 7/11 and drop off in Paris on 7/28).

My 435xi is proving to be a great Grand Tourer...over 1,300 miles so far, including sprints to 155mph on the autobahn and three laps of The Ring. I've owned some nice performance-oriented cars before, but none can match the seamless integration of power, luxury and confidence that my new wheels have. And the BMW ED experience is a memorable experience!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I can only echo the comments of other BMW users. The balance of luxury, comfort, driving dynamics, sportiness and the ability to use the cars according to your driving mood.

I've been around BMW (not exclusively) for over 40 years. Still choose to drive one, as nothing else does the same for me as a driver in all conditions.

The same applies through the model ranges, as long as we acknowledge the 'priority balance' change across models, there is typically something for all drivers.

You can get the same driving experience from a stripped back example, as long as we don't directly compare to a fully optioned example.

I drive a 5-series wagon out of choice, but if my price point was limited to a more humble, small engine 3-series, I'd willingly drive a base specification BMW. If I was in similar priced competition, I'd always be thinking "I could be in the seat of a BMW".

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Nothing but love for BMW. The ownership experience has been exceptional. I made a thread about the events I have attended this year to which I was invited by BMW. I made a thread about how my then 13' 335i xdrive with PPK could go to 60 in under 5 seconds by just mashing the throttle from idle and no brake torquing. I made a thread about how the F30 is possibly the car with the most tech in its segment. Now that I have launch control in my 14 F30 it's just amazing how fast this thing can get to 60. I love how the 14 seems to take curves faster than the 13 I had, I can get to over 50mph on curves where I could not get beyond 50 in the 13, this could be a function of knowing the car better though.

After a combined 20,000 miles between my 13 F30 & 14 F30 I could not be happier with my choice. However the F80/2 is one gorgeous car. OMG. I guess I am now a lifetime member of the BMW owners club.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

I'm currently on week two of rental cars (first a Jetta station wagon, now a Chrysler 300C) while waiting for some repairs to be completed. The Jetta was a fine car overall, but very bland. The 300C has some definite strong points: comfy seats, a multitude of nice features/options, and the roominess is nice. That being said, what I do NOT like is the extremely soft suspension, loose and sloppy steering, and old man slow throttle response.

Really looking forward to driving my car again!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #17
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Sometimes I'll be sitting at a stop light and I'll look at my wife and say."Sport Mode?". I'll hit the button, the light turns green and a smile automatically comes to my face.

I also love the Black Sapphire Metallic paint. Tell me, what's so funny about this: I was getting gas and noticed a very small drop of bird urine (about the size of a nail head) on my trunk lid. I licked my thumb, wiped off the stain, then used the bottom of my T-shirt to wipe it off my thumb. Some guy pumping gas laughed. I didn't see anything funny about it.
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #18
sleeeper
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435iMSport, MPPK, LSD, MPE

'14 435 M Sport
Love it for long trips, S8 tranny is silky smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
tunjik
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I remember back in the late 80’s when I first started reading Motor Trend when I was 14; there was a story on the 1989 BMW 750iL. After reading that I was hooked on BMW’s and have been following them since then.

Back in 2012 when I began searching for my new vehicle to replace my 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, which was having many problems at about 60,000 miles, BMW was in the upper tier of my price range but did not think I was ready. I remember reading in Car and Driver that the 3.0 inline six was being replaced by a turbo four and I was like what! Even though I was only an admirer of BMW and not an owner.

So I began looking for the new car and after being underwhelmed by the Buick Regal GS, Honda Accord V6, Toyota Camry Sport V6, Hyundai Azera and various other models that I could list. I decided to test drive my 2012 328i with manual transmission Luxury Line, I was blown away by the performance, luxury and features of the vehicle. I was trying to hide my excitement of driving a BMW but the salesman could tell and knew he had another sale for the day. After returning from the test drive I knew what my next car was going to be.

I had to get approval from the wife and of course she loved it and I was able to get my first BMW.

I love everything about it. I am a driver and could care less about anything else such as navigation, back up sensors etc. I love taking it up to the mountains and just drive. The turbo four, the transmission, the ride, balance of everything are all top notch. I even love the compliments I get from everyone about how beautiful the car is. I can turn the car into a super economy car with ECO PRO mode and get 36 MPG and then put it into sport mode and smoke the pimple poppers with their supposed souped up Honda Civic at the stop light and not break a sweat. Off the subject a bit but everyone at work comments on how can I afford a BMW when I paid 39000 for it after discounts and they drive $70,000 1/2 ton trucks with lifts on their GMC Denali's and Dodge RAM longhorn editions.

From how I was treated when I first bought the car to the service department. (Schomp BMW #1!) I will get new BMW’s for life.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
black_beauty
Private
United_States
Rep

maybe revive this thread?

I've been regularly driving my 6MT in Sport Plus mode lately. If you want to be mellow, try to save some gas, maybe, and chill, you can shift early, keep the rev's under 2K and the car is like a little angel, gentle and smooth, even in Sport Plus, you are barely touching the gas pedal, nice.

Ah, but staying in Sport Plus has the advantage of whenever you want to move and move fast, it's there waiting for you. 2nd gear, heavy on the gas and BOOM, the front end lifts and the car takes off. The power in 2nd gear at > 5K RPM's is really something. Shift into 3rd at nearly 80 mph, wow, the car is ready to go...

Love the idea that you can go fast whenever you want to and it's fun to drive really mellow, not because you have to but because you want to.
      05-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #21
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Chassis and suspension are my most favorite aspects of a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #22
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

The crackles of the MPE I just got for my N20 make me smile every time I hear them