F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > 2015 F31 and F36 code to 6NS armrest USB problem
ARMA SPEED

09-28-2015, 02:52 AM   #1
nesto
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix Sport Wagon

2015 F31 and F36 code to 6NS armrest USB problem

Hi Everybody,

My girlfriend and I just had 6NS coded into our cars, but the USB port under the armrest no longer works after the change from 6NH. Both cars are MY2015 with Nav and BMW Apps and no EBT. We like to use this port to play music from Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora with ConnectedDrive, so we can see playlist info, scroll through stations, album art, etc. A lot more features are available than just streaming music from BT.

Whenever a phone (iphone 6 or 6s plus) is plugged into the port, the phone rapidly goes in and out of charging and a connection to ConnectedDrive cannot be established.

Is there something else that needs to be configured for a 2015 to re-enable the USB port? I've searched the forums for this specific problem, but haven't been able to find anybody with a similar problem. Is this a known issue/limitation from changing to 6NH to 6NS?

We also tried removing 6NS,went back to the factory coding and the ConnectedDrive and USB port were no longer working. I could no longer play music though USB and only heard static when playing from Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music. Is there a way to reset the BMW Apps/Connected Drive?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto View Post
Hi Everybody,

My girlfriend and I just had 6NS coded into our cars, but the USB port under the armrest no longer works after the change from 6NH. Both cars are MY2015 with Nav and BMW Apps and no EBT. We like to use this port to play music from Spotify/Apple Music/Pandora with ConnectedDrive, so we can see playlist info, scroll through stations, album art, etc. A lot more features are available than just streaming music from BT.

Whenever a phone (iphone 6 or 6s plus) is plugged into the port, the phone rapidly goes in and out of charging and a connection to ConnectedDrive cannot be established.

Is there something else that needs to be configured for a 2015 to re-enable the USB port? I've searched the forums for this specific problem, but haven't been able to find anybody with a similar problem. Is this a known issue/limitation from changing to 6NH to 6NS?

We also tried removing 6NS,went back to the factory coding and the ConnectedDrive and USB port were no longer working. I could no longer play music though USB and only heard static when playing from Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music. Is there a way to reset the BMW Apps/Connected Drive?

Thanks in advance.
Are you using an OEM charging cable or an aftermarket one?
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
nesto
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus
Quote:
Hi Everybody,

Thanks in advance.
Are you using an OEM charging cable or an aftermarket one?
I wish that was the problem. We're both using the OEM cable. I just tested a non-OEM cable and the problem still persists.

I was able to update my phone and media SW with a USB drive from www.bmw.com/update and now the track name and album art change change on the I drive and instrument cluster screen.

The USB port and BMW Connected app still do not work after the update. It's strange that I was able to update via the armrest port, but my phone won't connect to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I wish that was the problem. We're both using the OEM cable. I just tested a non-OEM cable and the problem still persists.

I was able to update my phone and media SW with a USB drive from www.bmw.com/update and now the track name and album art change change on the I drive and instrument cluster screen.

The USB port and BMW Connected app still do not work after the update. It's strange that I was able to update via the armrest port, but my phone won't connect to it.
What's the production date on your car? I enabled it on my 2015 March build 2 series and it was fine - USB port works. I've also enabled it on several other 2015 vehicles and never had an issue.

Have you tried plugging in an Android phone to see if the issue follows the Apple Software? You can try to press and hold the volume key until the iDrive restarts but I don't think it's an issue with the iDrive. It's likely the version of the iOS that you're on.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

No problem on my car (also MY2015 and also with iPhone 6) after coding from 6NH to 6NS.

Did you check if you need a software update (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html)?
      09-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
nesto
Rep

Problem solved! I just got an iphone 6s over the weekend and I wasn't using the included lightning cable, but rather an OEM lightning cable from my iphone 5. I'm unsure what the differences are between the 5 and 6s oem cables, but the problem was solved with the new 6s cable.

I'm now able to use the BMW Connected app with Spotify via usb and can browse my playlists, saved albums, and view album art.

Thanks you everybody for the tips and helping me solve the problem.

Also, thank you Frogman for coding my car. What a great asset to the BMW community!
Appreciate 1