F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Trip to BMW service department Tomorrow!
Extreme Powerhouse

09-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #67
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ330FZL View Post
OK so here is the verdict after today's visit:

#1, software was in need of update and that has been taken care of. Hope not to see A.S.S. stall out anymore.

#2, "Is this your first BMW?" I reply "Yes", Tech: "Well we tend to see this with new BMW drivers, the car will track the road depending on how it is set for drainage" Me: "Oh".

Needless to say they did check tire balance and alignment and everything was correct. So for now I guess I'll deal with it.

#3, on test drive with Tech, little to no noticeable vibration, of course, go to the doctor and nothing is wrong. At least there is documentation that I mentioned it.

#4, The heated seats, My service adviser in all his 11 years with BMW has never seen a factory coded option never make it into the car, UNTIL today! Glad I could be the first. Nice thing is, it seems the seats are heated, but the AC controller in the dash is incorrect, they used the wrong part and now its on order from Germany. Should be here in about 2 weeks.

So I guess it was a fairly successful trip to the dealer. And I should be back there in about 2-3 weeks when the parts come in from Germany.

** On a side note, they gave me a 2012 328 "base" line for my loaner. The car was similar but the creature comforts just weren't there, I understand it was a loaner but it made me miss my car immediately. The most uncomfortable part of it was the steering wheel, it felt cheap and rubbery and really small. But I'm not knocking those that have 328's not at all, the car was still very quick on the acceleration and easy and fun to drive (on 17"s) It gave me a chance to see what it was like without a specific "line" Those added features sure do make a difference.

Thanks to those that have been apart of this thread!
OMG Im right there with you. My car was in the shop for 6 days due to software updates. They gave me a 528i for a loaner as soon as I drove off I missed my 335i. TO me it was a downgrade lol

Oh and My car came with one wrong tire lol so yeah I feel you on the heated seat buttons missing. Took 3 weeks to get the damn tire in.
      09-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #68
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
+1 Would like to know as well.
Is this an issue with 18 in rims mostly? OEM wheels? Or aftermarket? I have the 18's squared with pirelli tires. Adaptive suspension, adaptive steering, 4,800 miles on the car and no vibratrions.

I did however have this annoying issue with my e90, but only after I ditched the runflats I started having problems that I could never fix. I just blamed it on the aftermarket m6 replica wheels.
      09-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #69
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
Forgot to check them before running around yesterday, but this morning all four corners were set at 40psi. I set them to 32f/35r so we'll see how they feel now.
So did this make any difference for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #70
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
So did this make any difference for you?
Sometimes it's hard to tell. Driving around Sunday it still felt like a slight vibration was there, but this morning it was smooth as glass on my way to work. I think they were over-inflated anyway so I will keep them around the stock recommended pressures.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #71
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
I am not going to do anything as the vibration is very little and comes and goes so its not there all the time. I'm definitely going to live with it.

However with that said, I am EXTREMELY disappointed with BMW and cant believe that I have to "live" with something like this in such an expensive car.

Everything else is awesome and I love the car. I'm going to continue modding my car because that is my passion and a slight vibration is not going to kill me....it might IRRITATE me like hell....but oh well....
It does suck that this happens to some F30's.
That intermittent thing would drive me even more crazy. I had a car years ago that had intermittent vibration and I could barely stand it. I did so many tire changes and new wheels and still it was there though at various intensity levels. Oddly, what finally worked was a new set of high quality Michelin AS tires. Smooth as butter. Never found the source.

I've read on here and a couple of other sites that BMW is aware of this problem, but they don't have a cure yet.
This is what happened with the HPFP issue with the N54 engines.
Dealers didn't know what was up, and BMW told them to do various tests and software updates. The problem persisted because BMW did know there was a problem, but they hadn't found the cause. So, it was all about putting on a band aid to keep the customers at bay until they found a solution.
They had a revised pump that didn't work, then another, and finally a whole different pump that finally cured the problem.

Maybe this issue needs some media coverage. Nothing speeds up the curing/healing process like uncovering the wound for public viewing and scrutiny.

This steering vibration thing is way too common for BMW not to know the problem exists. But until they find the exact cause and then find a cure, it'll be balancing and rebalancing band-aid until they cure it.

I can imagine who ticked off and disappointed some of you are. I would be too. I'm glad I don't have this issue. I shouldn't have to feel "lucky" when buying a $50K automobile, but given how many cars are like this, I do feel lucky.
Here's to wishing this problem gets solved, and much sooner than later.
BMW, get it done!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #72
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Sometimes it's hard to tell. Driving around Sunday it still felt like a slight vibration was there, but this morning it was smooth as glass on my way to work. I think they were over-inflated anyway so I will keep them around the stock recommended pressures.
Is the ride better now with the lower pressures?
You should feel it being a bit smoother over bumps.
Also, with that much pressure in the fronts you probably had a bit of under steer, though you may not have noticed unless you're driving it harder on twisty roads.

As I've said my S001 RFT's are great, no vibes.
But, I do have a very slight vibe with the steering wheel moving left/right only after sitting over night and the tire has "flat spotted" a bit. After a few minutes of driving it smooths out perfectly.
This happened with my 135i on Conti tires, and my A4 with Bridgestones.

Do you notice a greater than usual vibration at the wheel when the tires are cold from sitting over night, and does the vibration reduce a bit after 5-10 minutes of driving?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #73
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

slight at the dealer means we can't feel it, you're crazy! but good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #74
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

I think it may have helped. To be honest, it seems like it comes and goes whenever it wants to but is so minimal, I'm fine with it the way it is. I do notice that it is "enhanced" during long sweeping turns.

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #75
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Forgot to check them before running around yesterday, but this morning all four corners were set at 40psi. I set them to 32f/35r so we'll see how they feel now.

BTW, yesterday morning noticed that the dealer had either curbed my front wheel or got sloppy with the tools during balancing. I've notified them of my displeasure and am waiting to hear their response.
that sucks. happened to me in my s2k 13 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #76
estorilF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 F30, '01 E38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukster View Post
Going to the service dept tomorrow too. My laundry list:
1. ASS update
2. Car shudders a little bit when I do WOT from 50-80(passing speed) as if the engine hesitates or the transmission is slipping. I hope they can look into it. no steering wheel vibration but i just want it checked out before i put on rims and springs.
3. Wind noise at 70-80mph driver's and passenger's. we went on a road trip and tried sitting in the back. it was very quiet back there.
4. Audio jack issue. the plug is loose.
Does anyone here have an issue with the audio jack being loose? I can plug in and take out a 3.5mm cable without any resistance.

Also, does it cost anything for you guys to have a road force balance done? I asked my service rep and he said it'd be $200, even though the car had <500 miles...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #77
Hilbe
Rep
Drives: F30 320 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukster
Going to the service dept tomorrow too. My laundry list:
1. ASS update
2. Car shudders a little bit when I do WOT from 50-80(passing speed) as if the engine hesitates or the transmission is slipping. I hope they can look into it. no steering wheel vibration but i just want it checked out before i put on rims and springs.
3. Wind noise at 70-80mph driver's and passenger's. we went on a road trip and tried sitting in the back. it was very quiet back there.
4. Audio jack issue. the plug is loose.
Hi, in from México and my 320 (got it in octuber 2012) is doing the exact same thing lukster, im especially worried about the shudder. So what was it? Did they fix it?
Appreciate 0