F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Buyers Remorse
proTUNING Freaks

04-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #89
juleswheel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by granCLop View Post
No luck. Spoke to three geniuses who said touching the handle a second time to unlock remaining doors is not a feature of comfort access. Instead, I unlock from the passenger side, that unlocks all doors regardless of what the fob is set to.
Thanks so much for following up on this! It was driving me nuts. I guess the nice thing if you do have passengers is just go to their door first, since it unlocks all. Plus it looks like you have really nice manners since your are unlocking their door before your own, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:17 PM   #90
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeHeadphones View Post
Completely Agree. That and my iPhone starts playing music the moment I start her up. And the navigation, an entire generation behind. So slow...

I still love the car though.
What are you talking about with the Navi? Its the best out there now. Much better than Audi and MB whose systems both are ugly and don't make much sense.

Everything loads extremely quickly on my car.
      04-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #91
OfficeHeadphones
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
What are you talking about with the Navi? Its the best out there now. Much better than Audi and MB whose systems both are ugly and don't make much sense.

Everything loads extremely quickly on my car.
I guess I am coming from a different perspective here. I'm not comparing it to the offerings of other manufacturers. I never compared them since they didn't sell a car like the GT for me to shop anyhow.

I'm thinking about design choices, how I am using technology today, and what I would like to see coming from manufacturers.

Technology today comes with automatic updates, crowd sourced data, and the like. Take for instance, Waze. It's a remarkable app that I wish I could get to run on my Nav screen. The maps are updated by the community and are excellent at being as up to date as the roads are. If you find an error, you can mark it for a volunteer to fix, or fix it yourself. It's great. When it comes to real time traffic, the data is sourced from other users in real time, with excellent traffic avoidance. Not only that, major road closures for St. Patrick's Day Parades, marathons, etc. also appear. Waze uses 50 megabytes a month or so of data, so implementing something similar in a vehicle doesn't seem too outside the realm of possibilities.

Today, automobile manufacturers rely on maps saved on a computer in the car. They also store points of interest, gas stations, etc. This system works without a cell signal, a good selling point. The usefulness of this system decreases overtime as roads are added and businesses change. Every year, you have an opportunity to update your maps and points of interest. For me, this is a long time to wait, and at some point it will cost the same as just buying a garmin every year.

So in the end, I would rather have a system that is more connected to an updated set of maps, traffic, and points of interest, than to have an annual update of maps, etc. I'd happy have a cheap garmin in my car for the small possibility that I am in a place with out cell coverage. Manufacturers made a design choice, but I think they need to abandon it to progress to something better.

When I speak of speed, I am talking about how fast I can enter an address confirm the location and start driving. The cell phone the gold standard I think any auto manufacturer needs to beat when it comes to setting an address. I can find a location on waze or google maps, press go, and start driving very quickly. It was suggested to me to try to send the location to my car. I gave it a shot, it was handy. I only used it through the Remote App. I haven't figured out if I can use google maps on my phone to send an address to the car. Having to then scroll to the office, open a message, and then go, was too many steps for me. I also don't send to my car from a computer, because, I just don't really use a computer at home much anymore.

I've also played with the voice recognition. All the processing is done by the car. The commands have to be learned. You can't use the language that comes naturally to you. That kind of rigid voice control is decades old, I find it disappointing that auto manufacturers are only now getting to that level. The online assistants, Siri, Cortana, etc, are not perfect either, but they are getting better everyday, and you can take advantage of the improvement immediately. The cars that have this feature hardwired fall behind fall behind the times before the car is ever released.

What I have found useful. I have set a short cut button to take me home, I love that feature. So while I use my phone to go somewhere, I almost always use the car to send me home. It is faster than my phone, and I use it accordingly. This is the example where a manufacturer has beaten the phone.

Lastly, when it comes to issues of user interface, or demands to read the manual. I think it's the wrong way to address customers. The fewer times you have to train your users the better. Interface Designers should not be forcing people to interact with cars using their ways, but design the interfaces such that there are multiple ways to the same end, so users can use their way. When people think of the car as being intuitive, that is a win for the designers. Each time a user gets frustrated, it's a loss.

Just my thoughts. I would love to see the system updated to a better interface, however, given their design approach I would probably have to buy a new car.

Anyhow, those were my thoughts. I hope they were constructive, non-whiny, and develop discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #92
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
I guess I am coming from a different perspective here. I'm not comparing it to the offerings of other manufacturers. I never compared them since they didn't sell a car like the GT for me to shop anyhow.
Cut the rest of your post so my reply post didn't look huge lol.

I also have programmed a shortcut home which I love.

As far as map data goes yes, it would be nice if it could be updated in real time but the POI's actually are connected.

Its very easy to do an online POI search. I actually used it yesterday, I wanted to go to Five Guys, I know where it is but I wanted to call ahead the order so I type "Five Guys (town name)" and then there is the one I want, with the phone number right there that I can just press the button to call.
      05-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #93
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Quote:

I haven't figured out if I can use google maps on my phone to send an address to the car. Having to then scroll to the office, open a message, and then go, was too many steps for me.
First of all, I would like to emphasise that I have no buyer's remorse at all, although I agree that the iDrive interface could be friendlier. It becomes easier as you learn how to use it, but I'd prefer the computer to learn the way I operate, not the opposite.I'd appreciate a touch screen, and saw that they'll introduce it in the new 7 Series soon.

To send Google maps addresses to the car is one of the features I like most. It is easy and time saving.

I use the Send to Car app (android, not BMW original). You just open Google maps, point to you destination and click on the share option. Share it to the Send to Car app and it is ready.

(In the first time you use the app you must enter your Connected Drive ID. Pay attention not to leave any space when you type)

When the address reaches the car you'll see a small envelope icon in the display. Just go to Connected Drive - Messages and open It.

Last edited by BrasWien; 05-03-2015 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #94
Xgtowner
Rep
Drives: 328xiGT

Just found someone to take over my BMW GT lease. Danke Gott!

To be clear, the GT itself looks and drives great, but idrive sucks, as does the single door unlock button in the center console. I hope BMW fixes both for the benefit of future drivers.

If you are buying your first BMW, insist on an overnight test drive before you buy!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #95
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgtowner View Post
Just found someone to take over my BMW GT lease. Danke Gott!

To be clear, the GT itself looks and drives great, but idrive sucks, as does the single door unlock button in the center console. I hope BMW fixes both for the benefit of future drivers.

If you are buying your first BMW, insist on an overnight test drive before you buy!
Well, I'm delighted you found someone to take over your BMW GT lease. But, for the life of me, I can't understand your complaints, they sound extremely trivial to me.

Why would you advise a new BMW buyer to insist on an overnight test drive ?
Would that be to make sure you like the shape of the light switches ?