F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i driven - multiple sources
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2015, 03:11 AM   #23
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalo View Post
What I can't understand is that if LCI models are available for shipping, as confirmed by one of our members in a thread earlier this week, why BMW is unable to muster a UK specified version of the LCI for some of the most critical reviews. These first reviews will stick for a long time and will be what many people read when deciding on how to spend 40 grand on a car. I can't fathom how a company like BMW could drop the ball like that. The suspension and drivability of these cars are what is supposed to separate them from their competitors, surely they should have made this version perfect. It does suggest that by heavily discounting the car they were trying to ensure sales which they will have succeeded in doing.

I imagine more in depth reviews will bring other opinions on the model. I would be keen to see a review for a standard x drive m sport model which is the one that has gained a bad reputation for its factory suspension.
The reviews were done months ago

The embargo gets lifted same time , hence everyone posted same time

Invite all to Germany , lay on few identical cars
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:15 AM   #24
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've just read all the reviews and I'd say they were all very good except for views on the VSS, however CAR think it's perfectly good, and suggest that it's down to personal preference.

It sounds like the steering has the biggest change, and it's because of the Chinese and US markets apparantly. However I think VSS is something that you just need some time to get used too. When I drive any other car without it I find I need to recalibrate my inputs!

But overall in terms of the new engines, overall handling balance, and ride comfort it sounds like they've made meaningful improvements. And it seems that without changing too much they've managed to lift the overall interior feel, which is no bad thing.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:15 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

What is confusing is identifying the exact specification these demo cars have fitted, the journo's don't always know themselves and their comments often indicate lack of knowledge.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, seems at least some of the cars have what is described as the "track option", adaptive suspension and VSS, 18" wheels on Michelin PSS tyres.

If this is so, maybe it is the wrong set of options to give to the press for initial impressions. If not, it does appear BMW have some oddities going on, to say the least.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #26
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

All driven together, same hotel, same bars....group think perhaps??

As previously suggested some more reviews of delivery cars needed.

It is of course to the individual to decide what is right for them after they have test driven. Nothing better than an extended test drive in a model directly comparable to the basis of your desired spec. I wouldn't have had adaptive until i drove it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:30 AM   #27
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_F32 View Post

It is of course to the individual to decide what is right for them after they have test driven.
Yes this is the key point- The Car reviewer says that he likes the VSS, but is open minded enough to know that not everyone will, and says this. The other reviewers just tell you it's rubbish and to not get it.

The fact is that on this forum I think everyone who has VSS really likes it, though it does seem that it's changed a fair bit on the LCI.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:36 AM   #28
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:

It is of course to the individual to decide what is right for them after they have test driven.
Yes this is the key point- The Car reviewer says that he likes the VSS, but is open minded enough to know that not everyone will, and says this. The other reviewers just tell you it's rubbish and to not get it.

The fact is that on this forum I think everyone who has VSS really likes it, though it does seem that it's changed a fair bit on the LCI.
It does certainly sound like it. Despite the overall vagueness in exact specs, you would have thought that BMW would have chosen decent spec combos for the first press reports. That most found the cars underwhelming on what are pretty well surfaced roads doesn't really bode well....

Suppose we'll find out soon enough - not holding my breath!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:50 AM   #29
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Group hug for the old model then!

Looks like the all new 3 series might arrive sooner rather than later then!!!

On the bright side - still looks a million times better than that god awful C!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:52 AM   #30
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Group hug for the old model then!

Looks like the all new 3 series might arrive sooner rather than later then!!!

On the bright side - still looks a million times better than that god awful C!
The chrome flourishes ruin the interior
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:54 AM   #31
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

The PH review says they love the car (sans VSS) and that it probably pips the XE now in the handling stakes, a car that has been universally praised.
      07-17-2015, 03:57 AM   #32
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity
Quote:

It does certainly sound like it. Despite the overall vagueness in exact specs, you would have thought that BMW would have chosen decent spec combos for the first press reports. That most found the cars underwhelming on what are pretty well surfaced roads doesn't really bode well....

Suppose we'll find out soon enough - not holding my breath!
I really don't think they were that underwhelming. The steering is the only point if issue and sounds like the rest of the package is great. The new engine sounds very good!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:00 AM   #33
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Got rid of the VSS on my order. I've always been split on this option as having never had it, I could never really see a need for it and the reviews have always been 50/50.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:39 AM   #34
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Feel sorry for anyone that decided to go for the LCI rather than the current model...

Nightmare, worse handling and having to live with those Chavvy rear Led's

What a bummer, long wait for a worse car than the current one.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:52 AM   #35
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What is confusing is identifying the exact specification these demo cars have fitted, the journo's don't always know themselves and their comments often indicate lack of knowledge.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, seems at least some of the cars have what is described as the "track option", adaptive suspension and VSS, 18" wheels on Michelin PSS tyres.

If this is so, maybe it is the wrong set of options to give to the press for initial impressions. If not, it does appear BMW have some oddities going on, to say the least.

HighlandPete
It certainly looks like they all had the track package. Even if they didn't specifically state it, they had all the components of it (wheels, brakes, tyres, VSS and Adaptive). Interesting that the 398 wheels are available in silver with MPSS but in the UK, you *have* to have the black ones. Silver looks loads nicer IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:53 AM   #36
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Feel sorry for anyone that decided to go for the LCI rather than the current model...

I know this is tongue in cheek and looks are personal preference, but the reviews are universally positive, except from VSS (which was never liked). As mentioned above, Pistonheads loved it!

On a side note, it's good to hear that they've stiffened up the dampers and springs (sounds like they also lowered some models too?) and have been able to do this because the front end is more strong. However it was also the sport model they were driving which has always been lowered and stiffer compared to the SE. I'm wondering if this is all pseudo bollocks and actually all they've done it put the sport suspension on the SE levels and claimed a 10mm height reduction and stiffer springs etc based on that. Technically it's true, but only for a couple of models.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:55 AM   #37
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post

I know, how will I ever live it down?!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #38
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Clearly the journalists are all idiots and drunk on German beer criticising the ultimate driving machine.
Looks like Jag will prosper with some winning reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:08 AM   #39
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Found a video of a startup and 0-200KMh run:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:37 AM   #40
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
I know this is tongue in cheek and looks are personal preference, but the reviews are universally positive, except from VSS (which was never liked). As mentioned above, Pistonheads loved it!

On a side note, it's good to hear that they've stiffened up the dampers and springs (sounds like they also lowered some models too?) and have been able to do this because the front end is more strong. However it was also the sport model they were driving which has always been lowered and stiffer compared to the SE. I'm wondering if this is all pseudo bollocks and actually all they've done it put the sport suspension on the SE levels and claimed a 10mm height reduction and stiffer springs etc based on that. Technically it's true, but only for a couple of models.
I understood that pre LCI sport model shared the same suspension as the SE and only m-sport had stiffer/ lower settings?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #41
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
I understood that pre LCI sport model shared the same suspension as the SE and only m-sport had stiffer/ lower settings?
M sport and sport shared the same suspension, Luxury and SE got the SE suspension
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 05:48 AM   #42
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post

I think other markets may have been different. Though, you are correct, UK SE and Sport models shared the same suspension unless adaptive was specified.
      07-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #43
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
340i SE by the looks of both articles...

The M Sport version may be much improved. It doesn't seem clear on if the M Sport Adaptive Dampers see fitted in either case...
They both say the test car has the adaptive m sport suspension, so exept for the wheels and tyres the handling review is basically of an M Sport.

Strange Autocar & Autoexpress are completely opposed on the handling though!
Sorry, missed that.

I wonder if there is a market tune in the adaptive dampers?

Also, on my 18" square winters Sport damping is compatible with 19" staggered summer wheels in terms of body control...

On the 18" winters it always felt a little like it wanted to roll and pitch. However, this could be due to the winter rubber and the high tyre pressures.
      07-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #44
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Some details stand out which lead me to believe not much has changed.

Firstly the press cars were shod with MPSS tyres. All the owners on here that have changed to these have felt a significant improvement to the drive and noise/ vibration. They aren't standard, so why go to the lengths of fitting them to press cars? Can only be to amplify 'improvement' in my mind.

They make a big deal about the 5 bolt strut tower mod. Hardly a feature that would transform a suspension unless there were serious flexing issues to start with, which I'm sure there isn't. Harping on this as a new feature is grasping at straws, quite frankly.

Apart from that, typical comments expected from a non F30 driver. I've been driving an Infiniti Q50 for the last few weeks. Getting back into my VSS equipped F30, the steering does feel odd, weights up differently at different steering angles, and has a variable rack so takes a bit (teeny weeny) of getting used to. I know that once you are used to it, you can look past the electric numbness. Having owned both VSS and the Servotronic, for me VSS any day of the week, but admit to it being more 'different' than the Servotronic is to most other cars, so can see why the journos might be negative to it, they always have even in the M135i which has a similar unit to the F30 pre-lci.

I'm smiling a little at the thought some BMW engineer might have read some comments made in this forum about the F30 suspension
Appreciate 0