F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Losing 10-15lbs in 2 months a realistic goal?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Losing 10-15lbs in 2 months a realistic goal?

I have dieted before, but I will admit that it was not the most healthy way of doing it. I am 6ft tall and weigh about 195lbs and would love to slim down to 180ish before my fall classes start. I am not really trying to build muscle so I am mostly going to be focusing on cardio. My question is would I be better off doing this first thing in the morning or late at night?

Also can anybody give me a few ideas on what to eat during the day besides fruits? I can easily cut out sodas and the occasional Friday night beers, but I am mostly worried about what to eat during the day. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

hi ,

you'd better off doing cardio first thing in the morning , even better on an empty stomach before breakfast ( if you can ) , it's very hard but that's the best & most effective way to burn fat .
when you make cardio , your body uses carbs as main source of fuel in the first 30 minutes then after the 30 first minutes your body starts to burn its fatty reserve . that's why cardio work out has to last at least 30 minutes if your goal is losing weight and has to be repeated constantly ( if possible every day to be effective ) .
of course your body will be craving for sugar and food after your work out but you have to be disciplined and avoid too much fat food & sugar .
don't starve yourself neither in the first days as the day you'll be reeating normally your body will jump on all the food you give it and will stock it as a prevention in case you starve it again in the future .

losing 15 lbs in 2 months is possible but requires discipline . key is regular cardio work out ( doesn't have to be heavy load , gentle cardio is also fine ) and balanced diet ( avoid fat , sugar , none total elimination but reasonable amount ) and you'll be fine in 2 months
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingpanda View Post
I have dieted before, but I will admit that it was not the most healthy way of doing it. I am 6ft tall and weigh about 195lbs and would love to slim down to 180ish before my fall classes start. I am not really trying to build muscle so I am mostly going to be focusing on cardio. My question is would I be better off doing this first thing in the morning or late at night?

Also can anybody give me a few ideas on what to eat during the day besides fruits? I can easily cut out sodas and the occasional Friday night beers, but I am mostly worried about what to eat during the day. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
YES anything is possible with the right stuff.

i have been kickboxing for the past 3-4 years i do a lot of strength training cardio ect... anyways cardio in the morning OR kickboxing classes if you can
having a instructor is always the best cuz they push you .

a) running is the best , sit ups, pull ups. before going to bed do push up as many as you can do

b) eat HI in protein lots of fiber ,good fat lean meat 0 carbs
eggwhites
baked sweet potato
turkey burgers
turkey
veggie burgers
eggwhites omelets with whatever veggies you want init

i can sit here and type forever

what it comes down to is YOU NO sodas no pasta no fries no FAT FAT FAT FAT stuff

no one said it would be easy good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:

YES anything is possible with the right stuff.

i have been kickboxing for the past 3-4 years i do a lot of strength training cardio ect... anyways cardio in the morning OR kickboxing classes if you can
having a instructor is always the best cuz they push you .

a) running is the best , sit ups, pull ups. before going to bed do push up as many as you can do

b) eat HI in protein lots of fiber ,good fat lean meat 0 carbs
eggwhites
baked sweet potato
turkey burgers
turkey
veggie burgers
eggwhites omelets with whatever veggies you want init

i can sit here and type forever

what it comes down to is YOU NO sodas no pasta no fries no FAT FAT FAT FAT stuff

NO sugar if you want sugar eat fruits

no one said it would be easy good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
First, realize that to lose a pound of fat a week you need to create a ~4000 calorie deficit without starving yourself, so you'll need to burn more calories while taking in fewer calories without sending your body into starvation mode. The best way, imo, is to do your cardio twice a day - early and late - to keep your metabolism revved up, just short 20 minute sessions. What will also help is no sugar or alcohol - none. And what I've found works best diet-wise is dropping calorie intake to 1500/day, ideally ~500 calories spaced out at 4 hour intervals. That sounds light, but that's a decent amount of healthy food like fruits, vegetables and grains - compared to one double quarter pounder with cheese.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
And what I've found works best diet-wise is dropping calorie intake to 1500/day, ideally ~500 calories spaced out at 4 hour intervals. That sounds light, but that's a decent amount of healthy food like fruits, vegetables and grains - compared to one double quarter pounder with cheese.
I think that 1500 calories / day is the starvation diet . a 180 lbs man burns 2000 calories a day without effort...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Get real burgers, fuck veggie burgers lol.

Fruit, don't not exceed 2 servings a day. 1 serving can be a handful of berries, a apple, a pear, half mango, 2 slices of pinapple, 3 dates, etc etc etc.

Just know that ur 10-15lb you want to lose will also include quite a bit of water weight, i'd be willing to bet 3-5lb worth. If you've got a lot of muscle mass as well, some of that will be gone as well.

Weight training will increase ur rate of body fat % lose. Don't think it's just for building muscle. It's a stupid misconception that people have.

If you are serious about this and getting a summer beach body, you'll need to get ride of alcohol completely. It really is the culprit for a lot of people.

Snacks to eat between meals. Nuts, veggie sticks and maybe some egg whites. If they get bland, add some spices to em.

Stay hydrated as well.

30min steady cardio upon waking up without food. Just have some green tea and water before doing it to kick start the day. Obviously eat a breakfast afterwards.

Also experiment with how carbs effect you. I personally do better at cutting fat with lower carb intake but I know friends that can exceed 250+ grams of carbs per day and still stay lean.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Thanks for all the advice/food advice. I haven't been able to do cardio in the morning for the past 2 days as it has been raining alot lately in Florida, but I've stuck it out with a reduced calorie diet and no sodas/alcohol. I'll report back in a couple of weeks regarding my progress.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
OfficialBOLO
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i X-Drive MSport

Garage List
I recently lost 25lbs in about 4 months with basic diet and exercise. I use an app on my phone to keep track of my exercise and calories. It really helps, I recommend it to anyone trying to lose weight. I also gave up cheese (this was really hard, i love cheese) and to some extent sweets. Sugar is the devil, along with anything fried. 10-15 in 2 months should be a breeze if you are dedicated, but this kinda stuff is easier a few months before the summer. Good luck, and keep us posted.

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (for sale)
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
XDEEDUBBX
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 535I

it's fairly easy to lose that weight but keeping it off is even harder.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by borabora View Post
I think that 1500 calories / day is the starvation diet . a 180 lbs man burns 2000 calories a day without effort...
Having done it myself last year to lose 30lbs, I'd disagree on the grounds that 2000 calories or more wasn't aggressive enough to keep one's metabolism revved.

Quote:
I haven't been able to do cardio in the morning for the past 2 days as it has been raining alot lately in Florida
You don't have to go outside and run for cardio. While I run a couple of miles for one session, the other is a pyramid/circuit of calisthenics. I do 15 dumbbell squats, then 15 push-ups, then 15 sit-ups, then move to 14 reps, then 13, on down to 1, without stopping. Gets your heart pumping, takes about 20-30 minutes. Be very aware of your breathing - this will have a lot of muscle groups demanding oxygen and with poor breathing control/pacing you'll get winded and poop out. You might need to start with 10 and work up to 15 or more.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
nikusha
nikusha
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Bottom line is "Eat Less, Exercise More". That is pretty much it. Shouldn't miss out of friday beer or burger every once in a while. You live once, gotta enjoy every part of it. But seriously, gotta keep up with training, forever (best part for me).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #13
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

I just stopped drinking beer, and started to eat more healthy food, and I lose 5 lbs in a month without trying hard.. now I am going to exercise to see what are the results.
2005 z4 2.5i/// Aero front bumper, m rear bumper,08 rear lights, custom quad exhaust, matte black front grill, OEM alarm, llumar security film,m wheels, HID lights, LED interior and trunk light,Ipod integration, stubby antenna,tein s-tech springsx
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
overdrive23
Fast Fighter
Rep
Drives: High Output 330i

I went from 190-179 in 24 days on a "24 Day Challenge" that myself and a handful of the guys I do my BJJ/MMA with did. I stayed fairly strong (strength training is my bread and butter) and leaned out a great deal. I recommend this 24DC to anyone and everyone!

It's been about 2mo and I'm still in the 177-182 range. And my metabolism is through the roof still!

https://www.advocare.com/11101783/default.aspx

Ask me any questions; I love talking about this stuff!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

I did 20 lbs in 2 months, but I'm pretty active for a sedentary corporate job and a man of routine and didn't focus on weight but body fat %.

Swim in the morning - every morning.
breakfast/snack = yogurt or protein shake
lunch = chicken wild rice and veggies and go to gym (I'm lucky to have my gym across the street from my work) and circuit train 30 mins.
mid afternoon snack = granola
dinner = 2/3 veggies 1/3 meat 1/3 carb
don't eat after 8pm
Lift at least twice a week in the evening.

rinse and repeat.

Total I went from 230-185 in a little over 6 months. Don't eat after 8pm and be dedicated.

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
i think you can lose 10-15 pounds in 2-3 weeks imo.

Cut out carbs(big one) + HIIT training.

Its all about your diet. working out would be meaningless if you ate like shit.

low carbs, low fats (gotta know what fats are good and bad), increase your fiber and protein, Do Cardio and lift.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

I lost 53 lbs. in 18 weeks.

Do yourself a favor and sign up on gregplitt.com to learn how to treat your body right. On an internet forum, everyone has a different idea about everything. Some good.. most not so much.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Realistically 2 pounds per week is healthy. 2.5 pounds per week is borderline healthy. I would not recommend doing any more than that. Since you were talking about classes, you seem to be young. Your weight/height does not make you obese so if you go any more than that you might see a loss of muscle (which you don't want) and/or a decrease in energy level.

2 months --> 8 weeks --> 16 pounds

So yes, your goal does seem achievable!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
With the two finger diet you can drop a lot more than that!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
ragingpanda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
With the two finger diet you can drop a lot more than that!
LOL funny guy. I'm not that desperate to lose an insane amount of weight as I am still young.

I've been eating better and cut out sodas/alcohol completely and I have lost about 5lbs just from doing this. I've been doing cardio in the mornings as well, but not everyday. So I have lost about 5lbs in about 2 weeks time, I am content with how it is going so far even though I know I can push myself even further to lose more, but I won't be doing that like I did before.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
krnet2dboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Base

People that say run, bike, swim, yadda yadda = all crap.

Burn more calories than you consume = loss of weight.

And HIIT > Regular Cardio ANYDAY. But with right diet and regular weight training, you don't necessarily need any cardio unless you are looking out for your cardiovascular health.
      09-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

For those of you in your 20's,30's...losing fat is a breeze. You can get on and off a regimen and get right back on track unless your Testosterone is falling off for some reason.

I'll be 50 in Nov. and up til last Easter I had been off a regimen for about 7 years due to my fiance' getting killed. I just dropped ALL good habits.

Stopped may Martial arts,running,eating right,sleeping right,drinking went way up etc. Never ate dinner til near midnight. Awful shit.

I'm 6'1" and my fighting weight is 225lbs. I weighed about 265lb. Then fell and broke my radial elbow,fractured wrist and elbow joint compacted.

Anyway....day 3 into the break I got off the meds and began range of motion steps. The pain made me angry and before I knew it I was in the gym doing everything I could to get strong again.

While I still can't fully straighten the arm....I'm down to 210lbs and feel great.

Diet was>
1)-No fast food ever !
2)-Chicken,fish,fruit,greens. Mainly in the form of salads.
3)-Nothing after 8 pm.
4)-24oz of water at rise,24oz before sleep.
5)-Bottle of water in hand all day-consumed 3-6.

Gym>
1)-Squats til fail.
2)-Freeweights and cables til fail.
3)-Martial arts style free-weight control-Very slow movements for long counts.
4)-Light cardio.

Everyone tells me I look better than most 22 year olds but I know they're just being nice.

I'll post a pic when I get the nerve,lol.
Appreciate 0