F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Folding mirrors...
ARMA SPEED

02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Bimmer-Mac
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
here is the final and definitive answer to your questions: US cars only!

Straight out from the dealership:

You can have the mirror fold and unfold via the little button on the driver's door. (Period).
If folded and the car locked, when you unlock the car, the mirrors unfolds automatically.
Once in the car and stationary, if you decide to have the mirror folded, then when you take off, the mirrors will automatically unfold themselves when you reach the speed of 20mph.
Thank you! That was exactly what I wanted to know. I was under the impression that you had to push the button to fold and unfold, but if I understand you correctly, when you approach the vehicle and unlock it, they will unfold automatically.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #24
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
I believe its programmable how long you want to wait for it to fold. If you set it to 0 it'll do it as soon as you press the button.
Does anyone know how to do this? Which option is it to adjust?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #25
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I might be brave enough this weekend Richard. Don't stray too far from a PC in case I need you!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Does anyone know how to do this? Which option is it to adjust?
The delay time is adjusted here:

FEM_BODY / 3053 PwMaster / KOMFORT_SCHLIESSEN.

The default is 0Fx (15 decimal) and the units are in 0.1 seconds, so the default is to delay 1.5 seconds after pushing the lock button (or CA) before the mirrors fold.

I've set mine to 2 (0.2 seconds). 0 is no delay so if you hit the fob button, the mirrors will always fold. I found that I didn't always want that.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:

You can have the mirror fold and unfold via the little button on the driver's door. (Period).
If folded and the car locked, when you unlock the car, the mirrors unfolds automatically.
Huh? Mine doesn't do this. I can ONLY fold/unfold the mirrors by pushing the button on the inside of the door. What's this bit about folding out when unlocking the car? If I press unlock on my key fob while the mirrors are folding in, they don't budge.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Huh? Mine doesn't do this. I can ONLY fold/unfold the mirrors by pushing the button on the inside of the door. What's this bit about folding out when unlocking the car? If I press unlock on my key fob while the mirrors are folding in, they don't budge.
You are correct; without coding, the mirrors will only fold back out if you hit the button, or if you forget, when your speed hits about 25 mph.

The unfolding when unlocking only happens if you code the car and if you folded the windows via the fob or CA (also only enabled if you code it).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
JohnVidale
Seismoguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix Mojave/Venetian

In my situation, unfolding on unlocking would be bad. I fold the mirrors for the tight parking in my garage, and I'd rather the mirrors didn't unfold until I am safely outside. So pushing the button to manually fold the mirrors works better.

I can imagine that folding to park on a busy street instead might be a situation in which unfolding on unlocking is more convenient.
      03-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
You are correct; without coding, the mirrors will only fold back out if you hit the button, or if you forget, when your speed hits about 25 mph.

The unfolding when unlocking only happens if you code the car and if you folded the windows via the fob or CA (also only enabled if you code it).
Gotcha. I really don't care enough to bother doing any coding. Pushing that button has become 2nd nature to me when I start/stop the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVidale View Post
In my situation, unfolding on unlocking would be bad. I fold the mirrors for the tight parking in my garage, and I'd rather the mirrors didn't unfold until I am safely outside. So pushing the button to manually fold the mirrors works better.

I can imagine that folding to park on a busy street instead might be a situation in which unfolding on unlocking is more convenient.
On mine it is more intelligent than this. If I fold the mirrors with the button inside the car then they won't unfold automatically when the car is unlocked so you'd be fine. They only unfold when unlocked if I folded them via the keyfob.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

The default is 0Fx (15 decimal) and the units are in 0.1 seconds, so the default is to delay 1.5 seconds after pushing the lock button (or CA) before the mirrors fold.

I've set mine to 2 (0.2 seconds). 0 is no delay so if you hit the fob button, the mirrors will always fold. I found that I didn't always want that.
Thank you Sir! I'm off to try this
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 04:20 AM   #33
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

Hi,

Do you think it is possible to program the speedlimit to fold and unfold whenever you want it to, so lets say instead from 20 to 50 Mph for example. I think this would be great when driving in narrow streets like i allways do.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #34
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

I'm a newb, can anyone direct me to a disussion of coding a 328?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyFor View Post
Hi,

Do you think it is possible to program the speedlimit to fold and unfold whenever you want it to, so lets say instead from 20 to 50 Mph for example. I think this would be great when driving in narrow streets like i allways do.
Sure.

FEM_BODY / 3110 PfExternalMirrorMaster /

ASP_GESCHWINDIGKEIT_AUTO_AUSKLAPPEN sets the mirror auto open speed. Default is 28 (40kph). Set to FF to disable.

ASP_MAX_GESCHWINDIGKEIT_BEIKLAPPEN sets the max speed at which the mirrors can be folded. Default is 14 (20kph). Set to FF to disable.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #36
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I'm a newb, can anyone direct me to a disussion of coding a 328?
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696777
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:

Once in the car and stationary, if you decide to have the mirror folded, then when you take off, the mirrors will automatically unfold themselves when you reach the speed of 20mph.

Via (backdoor) code (as i have done with my car) (Thanks to Frogman):
you can set that you fold and unfold the mirrors with your keyfob.
With this added functionality (which is standard for cars outside of the US),
if you fold the mirror via the button inside the car, then lock the car,
when you unlock the car, the mirrors wont unfold, it will only unfold if you push the inside button again or drive above the speed of 20mph. (as member Vitoco has pointed out below)
Everything else above stays true.

I hope i was able to clarify a bit more for you, if not once and for all.
Also, if you have Comfort Access, you put your finger on the touch pad on the door handle and hold for a second or two, the car locks and the mirrors fold.

Much kudos to Frogman for unlocking that feature.
      12-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #38
glangford
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Quote:
Thanks, probably more than I want to get into, but it's cool to know that it's doable.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

Quote:

Via (backdoor) code (as i have done with my car) (Thanks to Frogman):
you can set that you fold and unfold the mirrors with your keyfob.
With this added functionality (which is standard for cars outside of the US),
if you fold the mirror via the button inside the car, then lock the car,
when you unlock the car, the mirrors wont unfold, it will only unfold if you push the inside button again or drive above the speed of 20mph. (as member Vitoco has pointed out below)
Everything else above stays true.

I hope i was able to clarify a bit more for you, if not once and for all.

My F30 doesn't automatically unfold the mirrors when I unlock the car(It was folded when locked car).
      12-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #40
MoneyFor
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Sure.

FEM_BODY / 3110 PfExternalMirrorMaster /

ASP_GESCHWINDIGKEIT_AUTO_AUSKLAPPEN sets the mirror auto open speed. Default is 28 (40kph). Set to FF to disable.

ASP_MAX_GESCHWINDIGKEIT_BEIKLAPPEN sets the max speed at which the mirrors can be folded. Default is 14 (20kph). Set to FF to disable.
Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #41
gobears81
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Auto fold-in mirrors on F30

I have a 2013 328i. I love the button for folding in the mirrors because my garage doesn't have much space.

Within the first day of owning the car, I had hoped that there was a key fob trick that would allow me to control them. Unfortunately there isn't. Does anyone know why BMW won't allow US cars to control the mirrors? It would be such an elegant thing to do with one's key fob in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears81 View Post
I have a 2013 328i. I love the button for folding in the mirrors because my garage doesn't have much space.

Within the first day of owning the car, I had hoped that there was a key fob trick that would allow me to control them. Unfortunately there isn't. Does anyone know why BMW won't allow US cars to control the mirrors? It would be such an elegant thing to do with one's key fob in my opinion.
I'd bet it's simply a marketing decision.

At least the car has the ability to do it, you just have to enable it though coding. It's very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #43
nfwb11
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 435i M-Sport - SB

Frogman…. you seem to know quite a bit about the coding specs. Any idea how coding may/may not affect warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #44
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

I doubt this would affect the warranty ..

I rarely use the hold to fold because when you unlock the unfold again, and my wife always forgets something in the car ... I just press the door button on my way out.

The silly part is that with something like iDrive this should all just be settings in some sub menu, and they could even make it a hidden menu with some scary legal disclaimers.
Appreciate 0