F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pinched Vacuum Line (EGR)
ARMA SPEED

01-09-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
328d2014
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Pinched Vacuum Line (EGR)

Howdy Folks!

First post here. Recently did my OFHG as i was leaking coolant. I threw a check engine light after that read (EGR Cooler B Below Efficiency) so i took it to the dealership since i just had the recall on that done.

Apparently as i was buttoning everything back up i pinched the EGR Cooler Flap Vacuum Hose under the intake. The Dealership told me that i need to replace the whole hose as it's now damaged and they quoted me $2k. Of course i declined service but i wanted to know what you guys think as you guys are quite a bit more knowledgable than me. The OFHG was a little over my pay grade but i enjoyed doing it.

Anyhow, do you think i should order a new hose or can i salvage it and just remove the intake and reroute it correctly? I only ask to avoid pulling the intake twice.

It's currently running like a dream which is nice.

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 02:20 AM   #2
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Did the dealer show you the problem? If its one of those high-temp fabric wrapped hoses, its likely the fabric just just frayed a little but with no meaningful damage to the hose itself. Can you get your hand it to feel it?

I would just buy the hose (i assume its fairly cheap anyway) and have it ready if you need to replace it. You can probably return it if yours is undamaged. Its always useful having some spare 3.5mm ID hose around if you don't send it back - pretty much all engines use it for vacuum lines
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:03 AM   #3
328d2014
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

So I got it back from BMW and popped the hood and immediately saw this. I didn’t cut that hose.

Either way. I can probably tee in a new hose. But how do I figure out where this goes, too many damn hoses in here.

Thanks for taking the time to comment btw.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:24 AM   #4
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Hello,

It’s actually an easy fix, (I have an n57, and had a similar issue)

You can buy a silicon hose, ID 3.5, and wall usually 2mm. Check Amazon for the thick wall hoses. It’s cheap, $15 or so.

The hose goes from the back of the intake where there is a vacuum barb, and lies on the engine close to where the intake sits on the block. It then goes under the intake and on top of the EGR is a vacuum solenoid with 2 barb ports. One feeds the vacuum and 1 goes to the EGR flap. The solenoid to the EGR flap is like a 8-12 inch hose, but the port to the flap is under the EGR, sometimes it’s pain to get your hand down there. So you can replace 1 or both vacuum lines with the silicon lines.

aa Rodriguez has a good YouTube video of changing out vacuum hoses on a M57, check that one out.
Appreciate 0