F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Performance benefit from aftermarket intake for n20/n26 WITH a tune
GetBMWParts

09-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
DanM2C
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Performance benefit from aftermarket intake for n20/n26 WITH a tune

Hey everyone.

Thought I would pick the collective brain of the forum again. I have gone through a lot of posts on this forum and similar forums regarding the utility of an aftermarket intake for the n20/n26. It seems like the accepted thoughis that an aftermarket intake, like injen, does at best nothing for performance gains and that it is primarily recommended for a more aggressive sound.

I apologize if I missed this in old threads () but I have not seen much on potential performance benefits from aftermarket intakes WITH an ECU tune. I am enjoying my bootmod3 OTS stage 2 tune but will be installing a charge pipe, TIC, and aftermarket intercooler soon. After that, I will likely have the car dyno tuned and a custom BM3 tune made. If there is the potential for a performance benefit from an aftermarket intake WITH a custom tune, I will probably upgrade prior to having the car dyno tuned.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any experience with an aftermarket intake and ECU tune.
      09-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Diegov209
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan328f30 View Post
Hey everyone.

Thought I would pick the collective brain of the forum again. I have gone through a lot of posts on this forum and similar forums regarding the utility of an aftermarket intake for the n20/n26. It seems like the accepted thoughis that an aftermarket intake, like injen, does at best nothing for performance gains and that it is primarily recommended for a more aggressive sound.

I apologize if I missed this in old threads () but I have not seen much on potential performance benefits from aftermarket intakes WITH an ECU tune. I am enjoying my bootmod3 OTS stage 2 tune but will be installing a charge pipe, TIC, and aftermarket intercooler soon. After that, I will likely have the car dyno tuned and a custom BM3 tune made. If there is the potential for a performance benefit from an aftermarket intake WITH a custom tune, I will probably upgrade prior to having the car dyno tuned.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any experience with an aftermarket intake and ECU tune.
Hey whats up bro so right now Im running a jb4 fbo er catless dp, er chargepipes, vrsf 6 stepped intercooler, short ram intake inje, gfb dv I just need an exhaust and better intake. I personally do think like my intake there is a little increase in power in lower rpms but after that not much I am going to switch to a cold air either AFE or Injen Evolution just so the car can run a little cooler. I am getting a custom BEF tune from DME tuning to stack with my jb4 so ill see and tell you if I see any difference bro.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You will get performance increase from an intake but intercooler, downpipe, tune are definitely more important performance mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You will get performance increase from an intake but intercooler, downpipe, tune are definitely more important performance mods
@Mike How come you do not have bootmod3 for N20 on your website?
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallido View Post
@Mike How come you do not have bootmod3 for N20 on your website?
We do.im not allowed to post the link here but i will message it to you

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0