F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 328i and ATS 2.0 Battle Again in Direct Comparo by Car and Driver
Studio RSR

10-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #133
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

I test drove an ATS today. ATS Performance with 3.6L.

Test drive was short due to a failure of the car. Pulled out of dealer and first time pressing the accelerator down the car bucked. I released the accelerator and continued to drive in traffic normally until we reached a spot where I could try out the car. Depressed the accelerator again and had same issue including this time I noticed the dash gauges and warnings on dash illuminating. From there within minutes the small LCD on dash was quickly switching itself between modes, warnings, etc. Check engine and a couple indescribable lights illuminated.

Drove car back to dealer somewhat slowly and all ended there.

So, the test drive was a FAIL, however I have some feedback.

1) Handling and little body roll. Amazing for a Cadillac (GM) sedan. As C&D said, likely better and more fun than the F30. Not sure how it compares to an F30 Sport with VSS.... (and the car I drove did NOT have the magnetic ride shocks which supposedly are awesome)
2) Steering may be light and electric, but it seems less isolated than the F30 I drove.
3) Exterior fit and finish pretty good. Engine compartment well laid out.
4) Like a CTS Jr. but looks way better.

DISLIKES
1) Ummm, defective car with only 9 miles on it. Has GM changed?
2) Rear seat legroom is cramped. Unibody bulge under seat bottom further cramps rear legroom. Pretty bad and legroom probably more like E36 3 series!
3) Some cheapy materials, some really cheap! Especially the door panels and the pathetic fake stitching on them. The person who approved that door panel finish should be hung.
4) CUE controls on steering wheel. The left/right/enter selector is horribly designed and doesn't work well. Especially the Enter key.
5) Trunk a bit cramped and narrow compared to F30

INDIFFERENT
1) Performance and overall drive, since car had mechanical/electrical problems.
2) CUE. Its different and likely weird. However, GM may have a decent platform to build on and improve. GM claims CUE will be routinely upgraded via USB. I wonder what they'll do over time...However I feel CUE needs some fairly drastic UI changes to be useful (who did they use to user test this???) but I bet GM is unwilling to push GUI changes that may force existing users to re-learn a new setup. Ho hum, maybe CUE2 will be better....

So that's it for the ATS unless the salesman calls me to re-test the car. That was the only 3.6L they had and it obviously needs repairs. 2.0T cars not arriving for another 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by claykin; 10-13-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0