F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
proTUNING Freaks

08-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #485
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Shiva.... it has been quite some time since you made the above comments. After having had driven the car for a few months with these M-Perf coilover set, do you still feel that the ride has remained comfortable in general? Still feel the ride is 20% lesser stiff than M3? In one of your recent posts I thought you mentioned somewhere that this kit is not for the faint-hearted.... that seemed a bit contradicting to your original impressions on the kit.

My install is scheduled next Thursday and I'm crossing my fingers that the ride is not going to be nauseous -- classical example of having second thoughts about going ahead with this install. (hint: I hate roller coasters!!)
I would say about 15% less stiff than an M3....but if you daily drive with a WIFE, it's not for the faint of heart. She has started to relentlessly bitch about it now all the time, because we've moved to NJ and the roads are horrible.

So, would i do it again?
YES.
Would I go on a road trip with my wife in the car?
NO.

It's a great package and VERY well balanced, I was doing circular 8's on a track for a CCA day trying to skid out, and yes the tires helped, but the suspension is so tight and well composed, I'd need race car seats to real explore the far-reaching ends of the system. It's that good...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #486
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
I would say about 15% less stiff than an M3....but if you daily drive with a WIFE, it's not for the faint of heart. She has started to relentlessly bitch about it now all the time, because we've moved to NJ and the roads are horrible.

So, would i do it again?
YES.
Would I go on a road trip with my wife in the car?
NO.

It's a great package and VERY well balanced, I was doing circular 8's on a track for a CCA day trying to skid out, and yes the tires helped, but the suspension is so tight and well composed, I'd need race car seats to real explore the far-reaching ends of the system. It's that good...
Thanks! While the roads here in Phoenix are not made of glass, but I would say they are still pretty damn good... I have no doubts about the performance aspect, was just a bit concerned about the comfort aspect since I use the car as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #487
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! While the roads here in Phoenix are not made of glass, but I would say they are still pretty damn good... I have no doubts about the performance aspect, was just a bit concerned about the comfort aspect since I use the car as a DD.
In Phoenix you should be fine, I've driven those roads and they are in FAR better condition than what we have out here for sure...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #488
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

M-Perf installed !!!

I just got the car back after the M-Perf suspension install. Compared to my base suspension it is so much stiffer and the car is noticeably lower. You can easily make out all the "fine vibrations" from even a relatively smooth road on the steering wheel. I will not call it uncomfortable but at the same time this is really not "comfortable territory". I just can't imagine how people can run this suspension with 20" Run Flats !!

I have a question about the sway bars. Since I did not have the sports suspension originally, they were supposed to change out my sway bars too. After install they put the sway bars back in my car's trunk and they look so similar to the sport suspension sway bars. They look the same thickness to the eye and both are black in color. Could someone confirm that the sway bars for the sports and base suspension "visually look" the same? Is there any way I could confirm that the sway bars were indeed changed by the technician (other than asking the technician of course)?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #489
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull
I just got the car back after the M-Perf suspension install. Compared to my base suspension it is so much stiffer and the car is noticeably lower. You can easily make out all the "fine vibrations" from even a relatively smooth road on the steering wheel. I will not call it uncomfortable but at the same time this is really not "comfortable territory". I just can't imagine how people can run this suspension with 20" Run Flats !!

I have a question about the sway bars. Since I did not have the sports suspension originally, they were supposed to change out my sway bars too. After install they put the sway bars back in my car's trunk and they look so similar to the sport suspension sway bars. They look the same thickness to the eye and both are black in color. Could someone confirm that the sway bars for the sports and base suspension "visually look" the same? Is there any way I could confirm that the sway bars were indeed changed by the technician (other than asking the technician of course)?
Measure the width of the bars in millimeters...

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #490
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Your eye will not spot a couple of MM's, you would need to measure with a caliper.
Quote:

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #491
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Your eye will not spot a couple of MM's, you would need to measure with a caliper.
Quote:

Believe me you can. Easily. I'll go home and measure though.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #492
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Believe me you can. Easily. I'll go home and measure though.
You still talking about sway bars?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #493
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
lol....no I was not, but I get it now !!!
cool thanks, that gives me a bit of reassurance that the technician did the right job.

took it out for a spin again for about an hour, already started getting used to stiffness.... and have started enjoying it... always wanted a nice and tight suspension

I'll still replace my RFTs though to get back a bit of comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #494
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Yeah I'm with Jameson on this one, you'll need calipers.

But you'll notice the difference immeidately if you had a non Sport/M Sport model, because the bars make that big of a difference from the POS we get stock.

RE: drive, it's like sex and food appreciation, all very personal. I did note I was coming from an Evo VIII and comparing it to an Ex M3 I've been in (where I said about 20-25% less stiff). Feeling the road and it's subtle imperfections might be a tire thing too...I have Jamesons 18" M Sport Rims, and didn't want anything larger for that reason alone.

19's and 20's would be unbearable for a DD with this suspension setup. But tolerable for a 5 mile round trip daily commute (my new commute is about 40 miles round trip, and it's fine)

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #495
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

@rallybull: has your car stopped
rolling (pitch, squat etc) as much as you expected?
      08-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #496
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

After getting rid if the rft's my ride improved significantly. Even with lightweight wheels.
      08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #497
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
@rallybull: has your car stopped
rolling (pitch, squat etc) as much as you expected?
In general the car feels rock solid now. Body roll has reduced dramatically. The car is so much closer to a go kart than what it was before.
Can't comment on the pitch/swat yet. I'll take the car out for some aggressive acceleration and braking and will report back. Fast lane changes are super fun now.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #498
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Cool
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #499
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Yeah I'm with Jameson on this one, you'll need calipers.

But you'll notice the difference immeidately if you had a non Sport/M Sport model, because the bars make that big of a difference from the POS we get stock.

RE: drive, it's like sex and food appreciation, all very personal. I did note I was coming from an Evo VIII and comparing it to an Ex M3 I've been in (where I said about 20-25% less stiff). Feeling the road and it's subtle imperfections might be a tire thing too...I have Jamesons 18" M Sport Rims, and didn't want anything larger for that reason alone.

19's and 20's would be unbearable for a DD with this suspension setup. But tolerable for a 5 mile round trip daily commute (my new commute is about 40 miles round trip, and it's fine)
19's and RF's would make it unbearable? I have both and don't plan on giving up the RF's. I was thinking KW coilovers, but I want to keep everything OEM/warranty and do not want to drop my car by 1.2". We picked up a Mini S with sports suspension and JCW strut braces for my wife last weekend. I've been taking corners at about 90mph...I feel like Mario in Mario Kart except I'm 6'5" and do not have a 'stache!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #500
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

has anybody done the performance springs with the regular msport suspension yet? i think i might be the guinea pig and see what its all about. i want to keep it OEM for warranty sake but not sure im willing to spend 3k on sups just yet ...

i cant see how this would be any diff that puttin on H&R or other lowering spring set
      09-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #501
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951 View Post
After getting rid if the rft's my ride improved significantly. Even with lightweight wheels.
What wheels and tires did you get? What wheels and tires did you replace?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #502
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Hi,

I'm wondering what quote others got for the whole thing and how much you were able to beat it down. I know shivaswrath ended up getting a good deal because the dealer messed up first and had to make it up, but ronin and rallybull and others?

I just got license plates for my car - had to take it in to get them fixed, drill a hole ugh - and the first thing I asked about is this upgrade. Dealer quotes around 3k for parts and around 2k for labor. I've ask him to talk o the manager and call me back with a deal. Mine is the base 328i, so that includes the kit, springs (not part of the kit), msport front and rear stabilizer bars.
      09-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #503
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Also to add, here are the part numbers I got from the dealer

- Retrofit kit - 33-50-2-320-980 - seems in line with other posts (ending with 80 for 328i, 81 for 335i)

- Stabilizer bars seem correct: 31-35-6-792-125 and 33-55-6-853-474

However, when it comes to the coils I am not sure:
- Rear 33-53-6-860-620 seems in line with what others posted.

But the front coil part number my dealer mentioned is 31-33-6-860-629. Is this correct? Some other posts mention this as the one for 335i Manual, but I am not sure how to validate. Mine is the auto 328i.
EDIT: This is correct according ronin's post on page 14..

Does that sound right?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #504
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Went from stock m-sport w/rft to apex arc-8 18x8.5. Michelin SS's 235/40 front and 245/40 rear.

Road noise seemed to increase. I think that's just a function of the lighter wheels :shrug:
      09-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #505
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951
Quote:
Quote:
Went from stock m-sport w/rft to apex arc-8 18x8.5. Michelin SS's 235/40 front and 245/40 rear.

Road noise seemed to increase. I think that's just a function of the lighter wheels :shrug:
How was it with the run flats? I don't want to drop the coin on new tires in addition to the suspension. Just bought one new car, leased another one and paid for a wedding.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #506
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin951
Quote:
Quote:

How was it with the run flats? I don't want to drop the coin on new tires in addition to the suspension. Just bought one new car, leased another one and paid for a wedding.
Perfectly fine, I'm running 400Ms with summer S001's and no drama.
All seasons were of course quieter...
Winters, louder.

Appreciate 0