F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lowered F30 in snow
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Lowered F30 in snow

I live in flat-land Michigan with plans of driving my F30 335i (unless it sells) that is lowered on m-performance suspension and blizzak snow tires.

Can you share your experience of driving a lowered RWD car in the snow?

Currently sitting like this, front lip and side skirt to ground = ~5"

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Tommy_hf
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F36 CQ M, Z4 E85 3.0iS MSL SC

No problem at all. My F30 is on sportsuspension along with eibach pro kit springs, goes just fine. My Z4 is a lot lower, also driven all year round without problems. My E46 was low enough to be a snowplough, snow actually got plowed over the hood but even then just RWD with winter tires posed no problems. You don't need 4WD in snow, it does help traction in straight line, but does nothing to pure grip or braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
I am a lot lower than that and we get more snow than Michigan. I live in Novi for 10 years. I got around fine last winter on all seasons, but I did not have the lip splitter on. I plan on taking it off and getting winter tires and should have zero problems getting around. With the all seasons I just had difficulty getting going on an incline. I would suggest yoiu pull off the front splitter as well. The track lanes in the snow after a storm or shortly after will be higher than 5 inches mostly and if that thing catches it will rip the whole bumper apart.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
I am a lot lower than that and we get more snow than Michigan. I live in Novi for 10 years. I got around fine last winter on all seasons, but I did not have the lip splitter on. I plan on taking it off and getting winter tires and should have zero problems getting around. With the all seasons I just had difficulty getting going on an incline. I would suggest yoiu pull off the front splitter as well. The track lanes in the snow after a storm or shortly after will be higher than 5 inches mostly and if that thing catches it will rip the whole bumper apart.
Thanks Dippydo! Double sided tape must have been on sale at port because the front splitter is not coming unless it takes paint with it; it's officially part of the front bumper. Let's hope for no polar vortex!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
Thanks Dippydo! Double sided tape must have been on sale at port because the front splitter is not coming unless it takes paint with it; it's officially part of the front bumper. Let's hope for no polar vortex!
Yah I think if they install it at the port, they use that body panel glue. If so then that thing is not coming off.LOL.. With tape just a hairdryer will do. I bought me an extra lip just in case I break mine coming off. I was thinking about leaving it on but my sixth sense is telling me to pull it off. Right now I am at 4" from the ground but can raise it with my coil overs to about 5.5". Still not feeling that will be high enough. With the bitter cold here, you could probably crack the bumper hitting it with a tennis ball.
Appreciate 0