F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 1-8 memory buttons and <> not working
Extreme Powerhouse

04-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

1-8 memory buttons and <> not working

Ok, so they didnt just stop working without me instigating something compleltley seperate.

I have done the Alpina gearbox flash, which has actually been successful.

However, when I have come to clear the faults in Rheingold afterwards,
IKHA and CON ecus are no longer responding.

The only symptom I can find in the car is the memory buttons and <> are no longer functional or showing the assignment when touched.

Has anyone come across or could point me to any threads that could provide any information, I have been digging, I dont think its fuses as I would expect the aircon and touch controller to be working.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
McBeemer
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d Xd MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
Ok, so they didnt just stop working without me instigating something compleltley seperate.

The only symptom I can find in the car is the memory buttons and <> are no longer functional or showing the assignment when touched.

Has anyone come across or could point me to any threads that could provide any information, I have been digging, I dont think its fuses as I would expect the aircon and touch controller to be working.

Thanks
How have you found the alpine gearbox flash in operation?

Gone: 2015 F31 320d M Sport Xdrive Auto
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

You see it's stories like this that stop me using bimmercode to flash the Alpina dials on my car.
JustChris17487.50
Tommo355.00
      04-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
Quote:

Thanks
How have you found the alpine gearbox flash in operation?
Lots of research..

Not for the faint hearted.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I know it seems obvious but have you tried re assigning to the buttons?
I pretty sure after some coding I had to set them up again.

Last edited by SW6Steve; 04-06-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Sounds like he's saying the buttons don't function at all.
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      04-07-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
I know it seems obvious but have you tried re assigning to the buttons?
I pretty sure after some coding I had to set them up again.
Ha... I know I thought that, but unfortunately not working at all..
I'll get it sorted.. just need to research and find the time..
Pretty sure I didn't do anything untoward during the flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

After the flash how do you now find the gearbox in ordinary driving i.e in comfort mode, how straightforward is the process for the flash, how long did it take you to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
After the flash how do you now find the gearbox in ordinary driving i.e in comfort mode, how straightforward is the process for the flash, how long did it take you to do it.
I think it feels to pull a bit better in the mid range but also seems be at lower revs when just driving at a constant speed, motorway for example...
Need to assess more yet.

The process is simplish when you know how with esys, but I read a lot before doing it..

However, now I have the button problem, so until I know what happened.. I wouldn't take my advice :
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      04-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
However, now I have the button problem, so until I know what happened.. I wouldn't take my advice :
Yes very true , i will let you work out the problem before i pop round to see it in action
To be fair though its rare you actually use the eight buttons, i always forget you can store things on them but most things are accessible quite easily anyway.

It's a big shame Bimmercode doesn't do anything similar with the gearbox !!

Last edited by APJ; 04-07-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes very true , i will let you work out the problem before i pop round to see it in action
To be fair though its rare you actually use the eight buttons, i always forget you can store things on them but most things are accessible quite easily anyway.

Yeh no probs..

Thing is, it is quite a bit more involved than coding, it's writing a whole software file via the the communication system, which means it could be going via a gateway module onto the relevant canbus.

It's not only the 1-8, I've realised the volume knob doesn't work either, the mute press does.
The more I think about, I think it's an existing fault on the control panel maybe faulty pcb or wiring) that has shown itself when the systems were all shutting down and starting back up, possibly a small surge while the flash was in process..
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      04-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

You might not, I use them a lot. Two radio stations, wife's phone number, home sat nav short cut, work sat nav short cut, short cut to DVD when sat waiting for school to open with kids, short cut to iPod, short cut to downloaded music.

I bet I use the shortcuts several times every day.
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      04-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #13
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I know its all tricky stuff and most of it goes above my head, i do remember when i was having mine re-mapped, he linked up a battery booster, and he mentioned surges. any way hope you do get it all sorted. Mine's due its first MOT in July, soon as that's done i will be looking at the gearbox re-map

Another question, have you had the 15mm rear anti roll bar fitted, just wondered if there is one specific to the 4 series or do you just get one off the m140i or m240i ?

Last edited by APJ; 04-07-2019 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00
      04-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #14
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
You might not, I use them a lot. Two radio stations, wife's phone number, home sat nav short cut, work sat nav short cut, short cut to DVD when sat waiting for school to open with kids, short cut to iPod, short cut to downloaded music.

I bet I use the shortcuts several times every day.
I do have home and the wife's phone number short cutted, the radio seems to disappear so i don't bother anymore but if i do have anymore i forget what they're assigned too
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2024, 01:43 PM   #15
Donny85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

Quote:
Yeh no probs..

Thing is, it is quite a bit more involved than coding, it's writing a whole software file via the the communication system, which means it could be going via a gateway module onto the relevant canbus.

It's not only the 1-8, I've realised the volume knob doesn't work either, the mute press does.
The more I think about, I think it's an existing fault on the control panel maybe faulty pcb or wiring) that has shown itself when the systems were all shutting down and starting back up, possibly a small surge while the flash was in process..
Hi, I’ve just purchased an F32 that has this problem… the shortcut and volume knob buttons don’t work. I swapped out the Audio FBM module and the problem was still there.

I reached out to the former owner and he said that the NBT was swapped out a few years ago, and since then the buttons haven’t worked. Could this be due to the coding of the replacement head unit? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 06:28 PM   #16
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=Donny85;30914169]Hi, I’ve just purchased an F32 that has this problem… the shortcut and volume knob buttons don’t work. I swapped out the Audio FBM module and the problem was still there.

I reached out to the former owner and he said that the NBT was swapped out a few years ago, and since then the buttons haven’t worked. Could this be due to the coding of the replacement head unit? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks

I’m not sure to be honest, it’s a while since this happened to me.

For me it was a faulty gateway module,
I’m just guessing here, but it could the control panel is faulty..just looking on eBay, looks like about £60 replacement.

I suspect it has a local can connection to the gateway which would then relay messages to the nbt.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 04:41 AM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

A few weeks ago my car bricked itself, long story but it involved being recovered twice, 3 hire cars, 2 BMW assist callouts, recovery trucks and 3 attempts by the dealer to fix, as it was software/firmware/battery electrical in it's nature I was so glad I chickened out coding it.

The dealer was very apologetic though and fitted a brand new set of rear tyres that needed replacing FOC which saved me £624 compared to the price on Mytyres, which was nice and very unexpected.

On the point around tyres they have really got expensive those were 275/35/21 PZ4's but they did last 34k miles with 2mm remaining.
      03-01-2024, 08:41 AM   #18
Donny85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

So I've managed to get my problem with the volume / shortcut buttons not working fixed.

It turns out that when the head unit was replaced, the IKHA was put into transport mode. Thinking it was a coding issue, I reached out to Zed Coding (you can find him on Facebook) who remote connected to my car and fixed it for me. Highly recommend him!
Appreciate 1
DaveH28287.00