F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "Profile" mem settings for "sport" mode
Extreme Powerhouse

07-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

"Profile" mem settings for "sport" mode

I don't have my 335i yet, but I downloaded the 3 series manual.

I'm reading through it and find the section on how to set "profiles", which can then be transmitted or set to your key/fob.
It says that one of the options that can be set to auto activate when you use/have your key/fob is the drive select settings.
So you can set "sport" mode as a default, stored on 1 of your keys, and when you open and start your car with that key, then it will automatically set drive mode to "sport" every time.

Is this correct, or did I misunderstand it?
Has anyone tried this?
As I said I can't try it cause I don't have my car yet.

Too bad it doesn't show ASS as an item to be stored.
But, I'll be coding that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I don't have my 335i yet, but I downloaded the 3 series manual.

I'm reading through it and find the section on how to set "profiles", which can then be transmitted or set to your key/fob.
It says that one of the options that can be set to auto activate when you use/have your key/fob is the drive select settings.
So you can set "sport" mode as a default, stored on 1 of your keys, and when you open and start your car with that key, then it will automatically set drive mode to "sport" every time.

Is this correct, or did I misunderstand it?
Has anyone tried this?
As I said I can't try it cause I don't have my car yet.

Too bad it doesn't show ASS as an item to be stored.
But, I'll be coding that.
That would be shocking ( but, in a good way). They might be referring to the fact it "remembers" your configs. on the drive mode set up for the sport button or eco pro. ( you still have to engage it as I remember from test drives )

eg--w/ M adaptive choice 1 -- chassis and steering

or choice 2 --chassis, steering and throttle response.

I don't have my car either--its sitting on the dock waiting for a ride home.

Maybe someone could try it and educate all of us. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Did you test drive the M adaptive ?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post
That would be shocking ( but, in a good way). They might be referring to the fact it "remembers" your configs. on the drive mode set up for the sport button or eco pro. ( you still have to engage it as I remember from test drives )

Maybe someone could try it and educate all of us. I'll be watching this thread closely.

I played around with these settings today, I kinda gave up I didn't have much time to mess with it. I didn't see the sport setting as an option. I'll have to look again. The one thing I found usefull was you can turn off the mode setting on the Main LCD screen. I found it kind of annoying that when you go from comfort to sport it informs you on the cluster and LCD. I shut the LCD off.
      07-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

I have an F30 328i. The car always reverts to "comfort" upon startup. It's a bummer. I wish/hope there is a way to revert to the most recent setting upon startup.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
I have an F30 328i. The car always reverts to "comfort" upon startup. It's a bummer. I wish/hope there is a way to revert to the most recent setting upon startup.
Only way currently is by coding. But I spoke to my buddy a tech at BMW he said he'd rather see me put in a tune then code. He said lots can go wrong, and usually people never revert to stock when bringing in a car for service. He said when you plug the car in its linked to Germany and his words BMW "sees everything".

He said a tune you always pull out..
      07-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
crowed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Only way currently is by coding. But I spoke to my buddy a tech at BMW he said he'd rather see me put in a tune then code. He said lots can go wrong, and usually people never revert to stock when bringing in a car for service. He said when you plug the car in its linked to Germany and his words BMW "sees everything".

He said a tune you always pull out..
I am an engineer at a car company, and while we can potentially "see everything", we usually don't care if the failure cannot be directly related with a customer's modification
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
I found it kind of annoying that when you go from comfort to sport it informs you on the cluster and LCD. I shut the LCD off.
I found this annoying too!

Luckily, you can turn this mode change display off through "Settings" -> "Control display" and unchecking "Driving mode info".

It's in the manual, starting at the bottom of page 107.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowed View Post
I am an engineer at a car company, and while we can potentially "see everything", we usually don't care if the failure cannot be directly related with a customer's modification
Yes, I mean I figured as much. My dealership is very informative and they dont care about light mods such as exhaust or coding. He was just saying BMW does see if the car is coded. Id like to code a few things, but it kind of makes me nervous with the complex electronics. I think I just need to learn how to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I found this annoying too!

Luckily, you can turn this mode change display off through "Settings" -> "Control display" and unchecking "Driving mode info".

It's in the manual, starting at the bottom of page 107.
Yes I loved that feature, so happy when I changed modes now it only shows up on the cluster. No need for the whole car to inform everyone thats a passanger as to whats going on.

My girlfrend was always like why did you change to sport are you going to race lol. Im like no its a nice curve coming up I want the steering tighter.
      07-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
It could be worse. My "320d Efficient Dynamics" always defaults to ECO-PRO which is just horrible... You press the accelerator and just sit there wondering when it will bother to react.
I'm trying to make it my standard regime when getting in the car to switch to Sport mode.

ASS on the other hand does not bother me too much. It has not failed on me once, and normally (with 8AT) the moment I take my foot of the brake the engine is very quick to start. Unlike on me wife's VW Bluemotion which takes way too long to start the engine again, so she ends up disabling it each time.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtrey View Post

I go tomorrow. CA thinks there may be one with M adaptive.
I'm hoping there is, along with the VSS.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
It could be worse. My "320d Efficient Dynamics" always defaults to ECO-PRO which is just horrible... You press the accelerator and just sit there wondering when it will bother to react.
I'm trying to make it my standard regime when getting in the car to switch to Sport mode.

ASS on the other hand does not bother me too much. It has not failed on me once, and normally (with 8AT) the moment I take my foot of the brake the engine is very quick to start. Unlike on me wife's VW Bluemotion which takes way too long to start the engine again, so she ends up disabling it each time.

They give us an unasked for keyless start, to supposedly avoid having to relieved of that 'insert kek/fog' then push start, only to be replaced by having to push a few more buttons to turn off ASS and put in 'sport' mode.

Thanks BMW! I feel so 'COMFORTED'. x
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
THizzle7XU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
They give us an unasked for keyless start, to supposedly avoid having to relieved of that 'insert kek/fog' then push start, only to be replaced by having to push a few more buttons to turn off ASS and put in 'sport' mode.

When I ordered my 2013 328i xDrive last week and discussed my dislike for ASS due to the engine shudder, the sales guys claimed that the setting will be remembered between car starts for 2013. Whatever the last setting was when the car was turned off, that's how it will be when it's turned on.

It was a pretty direct statement and at that point, I was practically signing for the car, so it's not like he had to fib to get me in the car. Hopefully this is true. I mean, I don't have to switch my radio station back to it's last setting everytime I turn the car on...it's just common sense to expect your chosen settings to be remembered!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #13
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by THizzle7XU View Post
When I ordered my 2013 328i xDrive last week and discussed my dislike for ASS due to the engine shudder, the sales guys claimed that the setting will be remembered between car starts for 2013. Whatever the last setting was when the car was turned off, that's how it will be when it's turned on.

It was a pretty direct statement and at that point, I was practically signing for the car, so it's not like he had to fib to get me in the car. Hopefully this is true. I mean, I don't have to switch my radio station back to it's last setting everytime I turn the car on...it's just common sense to expect your chosen settings to be remembered!
I have my 2012 328i set to default to last ASS setting, but I had to code it to set that mode.

It's a real setting in the software, BMW just has to make it the default.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:24 AM   #14
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
Quote:

Most of the things discussed in this thread are simple coding using Carly for BMW Pro App and Adapter.
Appreciate 0