F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Apple iPhone X- Buy or wait
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #463
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #464
Nachbar
Lieutenant
Nachbar's Avatar
Switzerland
256
Rep
429
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
No
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 12:30 PM   #465
jmg
Brigadier General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
2618
Rep
4,382
Posts

Drives: 2016 F80 M3, i3 REx
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
Did you do a clean install? I haven't noticed anything yet and I swear to god I will be done with iPhones if my $1200 new phone starts to feel old in less than a year.
__________________
F80 ///M3
i3 REx Giga World
Previous: F30 340i M Sport ZTR F30 328i Sport Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:27 PM   #466
minn19
Brigadier General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
2942
Rep
4,955
Posts

Drives: 17 GT350, 16 F150, 16 428 GC
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

No issues at all here, it has been awesome so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #467
Emjaydc
Enlisted Member
8
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
Try restarting it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #468
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
Did you do a clean install? I haven't noticed anything yet and I swear to god I will be done with iPhones if my $1200 new phone starts to feel old in less than a year.
no, restored from a 6
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #469
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaydc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
does anyones phone stutter and lag yet? mine does
Try restarting it.
i would have never thought of this
Appreciate 1
jmg2618

      11-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #470
bimmer456
Lieutenant Colonel
278
Rep
1,634
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
no, restored from a 6
I always do a clean install and it seems to work best that way. Try resetting and set up as a new phone rather than restore from backup. You can just download the apps you use the most and it will be cleaner and should run better.
Appreciate 1
jmg2618

      11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #471
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
no, restored from a 6
I always do a clean install and it seems to work best that way. Try resetting and set up as a new phone rather than restore from backup. You can just download the apps you use the most and it will be cleaner and should run better.
Thats a bit unfortunate though... I would love to have everything back in.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:20 PM   #472
bimmer456
Lieutenant Colonel
278
Rep
1,634
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Thats a bit unfortunate though... I would love to have everything back in.
Yes it is a little inconvenient, but not all that bad. I have my pictures backed up on google photos and most of the apps the passwords are in icloud keychain so it just logs back in with face-id. I have situations where after restoring from backup on my ipad, it would not go into landscape, after a clean install it was working again. Sometimes this happens after installing an update and I think it's an issue with the update but the problem would be fixed with a clean install.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #473
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
1140
Rep
2,110
Posts

Drives: Yaz M3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Thats a bit unfortunate though... I would love to have everything back in.
I'm not an iPhone owner but I used to be. I would bet your phone isn't lagging based on it's performance but more to do with those older apps not being optimized to run on the iPhone X.

I would do as advised. Run this a new phone and sync your photos, music and contacts from backup. Download the apps again on the phone. Pain in the ass for sure but the iPhone X is a huge leap and I bet these old apps on iPhone 6 and before can't keep up. It's the next level so you have to make this evolutionary jump.
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #474
bimmer456
Lieutenant Colonel
278
Rep
1,634
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
I'm not an iPhone owner but I used to be. I would bet your phone isn't lagging based on it's performance but more to do with those older apps not being optimized to run on the iPhone X.

I would do as advised. Run this a new phone and sync your photos, music and contacts from backup. Download the apps again on the phone. Pain in the ass for sure but the iPhone X is a huge leap and I bet these old apps on iPhone 6 and before can't keep up. It's the next level so you have to make this evolutionary jump.
Good luck.
The old apps just look letterboxed for now until they're updated. I haven't had any problems with them performance wise, but the new full screen apps look awesome. Sometimes when restoring from backup because the iphone 6 has older hardware the backup was optimized for that scenario and may not run properly on newer hardware, so a new setup will be more optimized to the new hardware and should run better. Apple will be releasing more updates in the future to further optimize the software, such as adding fast wireless charging in the the 11.2 update that is forthcoming.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #475
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blksnowflake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Thats a bit unfortunate though... I would love to have everything back in.
I'm not an iPhone owner but I used to be. I would bet your phone isn't lagging based on it's performance but more to do with those older apps not being optimized to run on the iPhone X.

I would do as advised. Run this a new phone and sync your photos, music and contacts from backup. Download the apps again on the phone. Pain in the ass for sure but the iPhone X is a huge leap and I bet these old apps on iPhone 6 and before can't keep up. It's the next level so you have to make this evolutionary jump.
Good luck.
you are probably correct
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #476
ASAP
Bavarian Motor Works
ASAP's Avatar
No_Country
1392
Rep
3,784
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami / 305

iTrader: (0)

Do I think it is a good phone? yes
Do I think it's revolutionary? no way
Do I think it is a good upgrade? yes, if you are coming from and Iphone 6s or older
Do I think face id is the best solution to accessing the phone? not even close
Is the only reason to upgrade due to the screen and overall speed? yes... nothing else would warrant this imho
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #477
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
277
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Do I think it is a good phone? yes
Do I think it's revolutionary? no way
Do I think it is a good upgrade? yes, if you are coming from and Iphone 6s or older
Do I think face id is the best solution to accessing the phone? not even close
Is the only reason to upgrade due to the screen and overall speed? yes... nothing else would warrant this imho
Agreed. I tell everyone the same thing that asks about it. I say "It's an iPhone".

Does everything it's supposed to smoothly and quickly without crashes etc.

FaceID needs some work. It can be pretty inconvenient in certain situations.

Oh and I cannot stand control center being in the top right. I miss making brightness adjustments and jumping into calculator etc with one hand. Finally they make a phone with a large display and small footprint that is easy to use with one hand for everything except what WAS easy on the larger phones.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #478
TheAxiom
Major General
TheAxiom's Avatar
Japan
1761
Rep
7,668
Posts

Drives: E92 Msport 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Agreed. I tell everyone the same thing that asks about it. I say "It's an iPhone".

Does everything it's supposed to smoothly and quickly without crashes etc.

FaceID needs some work. It can be pretty inconvenient in certain situations.

Oh and I cannot stand control center being in the top right. I miss making brightness adjustments and jumping into calculator etc with one hand. Finally they make a phone with a large display that is easy to use with one hand for everything except what WAS easy on the larger phones.
Not giving up my 7 plus for a while.
__________________
E92 Msport 6MT: 1mm Valvetronic lift adjusters, AA headers, SS section 2, AFE SI stage 2 intake, BPC ALFA N tune, BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #479
doogee
Captain
doogee's Avatar
Canada
277
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: '08 M3, '97 328is
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ancaster, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Not giving up my 7 plus for a while.
There is no massive reason to.

I upgraded from a 7 Plus and have no regrets, but I'm a sucker for having the latest tech. I also prefer selling my device after a year while it's still worth almost what I paid for it.

If anything, my favorite feature is the new form factor. Typing with one hand is a breeze.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #480
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
667
Rep
6,080
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah, will dump my 7+ in a month when it's "free" to do so. Just too large. Will get an X, but not expecting huge differences, just the smaller footprint.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #481
TheAxiom
Major General
TheAxiom's Avatar
Japan
1761
Rep
7,668
Posts

Drives: E92 Msport 6 Speed
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yeah, will dump my 7+ in a month when it's "free" to do so. Just too large. Will get an X, but not expecting huge differences, just the smaller footprint.
I do think that is cool, but nothing else really appeals to me...especially the lack of a home button.
__________________
E92 Msport 6MT: 1mm Valvetronic lift adjusters, AA headers, SS section 2, AFE SI stage 2 intake, BPC ALFA N tune, BMW PE
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #482
Law
Lieutenant Colonel
Law's Avatar
Taiwan
1410
Rep
1,535
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 6MT | E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I do think that is cool, but nothing else really appeals to me...especially the lack of a home button.
Surprisingly, one gets used to the lack of home button rather quickly and doesn't miss it at all.

The Control Center being in the upper right hand corner takes more effort than it should to access, so that's inconvenient during one-handed usage.
I've enabled "Reachability" to help alleviate it, although it's still not always easy to activate with the current phone case I'm using.

But if anything, it's FaceID that needs refinement.
Most of the time, it works just fine and I've been amazed at how intuitive it is when it works.
However, there are still enough daily situations where it won't read your face, which can get annoying:
1) FaceID is not particularly good in low-light situations, or if you're lying down. So say you're in bed but not asleep/can't sleep and you wanna check some messages or news or whatever, you're going to be entering your passcode.
2) FaceID is also not a very flexible system; if you happen to be performing another task that involves your face changing shape slightly, or an object slightly obstructing your face (i.e., eating, smoking, yawning, etc.), you better complete that task first, or you'll be condemned to enter your passcode.
__________________
2011.5 E90 ///M3 6MT (Current)
| RAYS | EIBACH | AKRAPOVIČ | M PERFORMANCE |

2004 E46 ///M3 6MT (Past)
| HKS | KW | RECARO | RAYS |
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #483
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
667
Rep
6,080
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm used to frequently entering my passcode anyway, TouchID is far from flawless too. Just keep a four digit passcode and it's not that bad.

My three year old's constantly grimy hands probably come into play with TouchID for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #484
ORIGIN M.
Major General
ORIGIN M.'s Avatar
1353
Rep
7,819
Posts

Drives: ...Incoming
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

I have had the Phone for less than a week.

The size is the only thing I do not like yet, I really liked the size of my 7S, but I am sure I will get use to it. Jumped from flee-mobile to Verizon, so I have a much better Carrier [IMO] for traveling to Mexico and Canada now, and on I am on Corp rates too. I love the screen... I'd say go for it, just get a lightweight screen.

Last edited by ORIGIN M.; 11-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST