F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport Automatic Transmission
Studio RSR

10-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

Sport Automatic Transmission

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a 328i M Sport. Does anyone know if there is significant difference between the regular AT and the Sport AT?
Still don't get why a Golf GTI offers a dual clutch and not a BMW M Sport...
Thanks for your inputs!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

yes.

from someone who hjas driven VAG dsg zf8sport is better

shifts just as quick if not quicker and the efficiceny is unreal
      10-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

A must have
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

There are so many bloody threads on this it's ridiculous.
Bascially, the Sport Auto is better than the standard auto in every area and that's not opinion, that's fact so don't let anybody tell you differently.
I didn't feel the standard auto responded or shifted quickly enough, and therefore gave power interruptions which were constant as there are 8 cogs to go through.
The Sport Auto is telepathically good and super smooth in D. And then when you want some fun, DS and Manual mode (M/S) has the car bang through the gears like a DCT transmission - it really is unbelievably quick and responsive.
Aesthetically, you get a nicer gear lever, a nice leather surround (instead of plastic), and flappy paddles. It also adds Sport+ to the car if you do not have Adaptive M Suspension.
So the standard auto is good, but for the little bit extra, you might as well purchase perfection.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
A must have
+1 Hands down the beset bang for your buck option.
      10-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

The Sport Auto is the only transmission to get if you're at all concerned about driving performance and can't live with a manual.
      10-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
There are so many bloody threads on this it's ridiculous.
Bascially, the Sport Auto is better than the standard auto in every area and that's not opinion, that's fact so don't let anybody tell you differently.
I didn't feel the standard auto responded or shifted quickly enough, and therefore gave power interruptions which were constant as there are 8 cogs to go through.
The Sport Auto is telepathically good and super smooth in D. And then when you want some fun, DS and Manual mode (M/S) has the car bang through the gears like a DCT transmission - it really is unbelievably quick and responsive.
Aesthetically, you get a nicer gear lever, a nice leather surround (instead of plastic), and flappy paddles. It also adds Sport+ to the car if you do not have Adaptive M Suspension.
So the standard auto is good, but for the little bit extra, you might as well purchase perfection.
the sad thing is its actaully the same transmission underneath. just with a different shift pattern program, and the paddle shifters and the leather surround.

i ordered it. i think $500 honestly is a justifiable price. i mean if most people don't want to pay for the work that went into developing that shift program then thats fair. totally worth buying from what i've read , when i see sport / m-sport trims on lots without it, it hink it is a shame.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
RWD4Life
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
the sad thing is its actaully the same transmission underneath. just with a different shift pattern program, and the paddle shifters and the leather surround.

i ordered it. i think $500 honestly is a justifiable price. i mean if most people don't want to pay for the work that went into developing that shift program then thats fair. totally worth buying from what i've read , when i see sport / m-sport trims on lots without it, it hink it is a shame.
I completely agree with on the shame part. I get the feeling that most BMW drivers today are looking for luxury appliances rather than the ultimate driving machine. Die hard bimmer fans are an extinct species...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD4Life View Post
I completely agree with on the shame part. I get the feeling that most BMW drivers today are looking for luxury appliances rather than the ultimate driving machine. Die hard bimmer fans are an extinct species...
It used to be that you added the Sport Package and you got the Ultimate Driving Machine. Now you have to know to get Sport/MSport and then add DHP (Mainly for VSS) and the Sport Auto (if not manual) to get to what truly has the characteristics expected in a sport sedan.

Really I only fault them for doing a terrible job of explaining both DHP and Sport Auto on the website. If you didn't do a lot of research on forums such as this or have a very knowledgeable CA (which is super hard to find, I always know more than the CA) then you could end up not getting what you expect out of your $50k+ sport sedan.

IMO if you pick Sport or M Sport those two options should be included, at the very least VSS & the Sport Program for the Transmission. Make the paddles and adaptive suspension the options even.

Ah well, that's just if I ran the company
      10-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
It used to be that you added the Sport Package and you got the Ultimate Driving Machine. Now you have to know to get Sport/MSport and then add DHP (Mainly for VSS) and the Sport Auto (if not manual) to get to what truly has the characteristics expected in a sport sedan.

Really I only fault them for doing a terrible job of explaining both DHP and Sport Auto on the website. If you didn't do a lot of research on forums such as this or have a very knowledgeable CA (which is super hard to find, I always know more than the CA) then you could end up not getting what you expect out of your $50k+ sport sedan.

IMO if you pick Sport or M Sport those two options should be included, at the very least VSS & the Sport Program for the Transmission. Make the paddles and adaptive suspension the options even.

i totally agree. i mean the paddles being seperate from sport/m-sport was a bit much , plus its $500 . on the e92 right now, its $100 extra for paddles / different shift lever on top of m-sport. doubt it adds shift logic, but its only $100...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
ducatiboy72
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport

Garage List
I think this depends on if you are living in Europe or the USA. In USA everyone seems to agree the sport auto is faster. In Europe they are the same except the paddle shifters and different gear knob/leather.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
awwwyeah206
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Is the comfort mode in the sport auto even different than the standard auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

This is not even a question to be asked, sport auto for sure. It shifts so fast that sometimes u truly believe its on par with dual clutch trannies
      11-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Coming from manual shifting in my last 3 BMW's (2002 335XI, 2006 330I, and 2008 335 XI) I am still not 100% sold on the 8 speed sport automatic in my 335 Xdrive, but one thing for sure, it sure shifts faster and smoother than I can with a manual gearbox.........
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither
Quote:

I totally agree. I bet most CAs don't even really think about discussing sport auto with their clients off the streets.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

the reg automatic is very aggresive in sport + mode so I could just imagine what the optional one can do
      11-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #17
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying a 328i M Sport. Does anyone know if there is significant difference between the regular AT and the Sport AT?
Still don't get why a Golf GTI offers a dual clutch and not a BMW M Sport...
Thanks for your inputs!
Yes there is a huge difference dish out the extra $500 bucks and get it! You wont regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
yes.

from someone who hjas driven VAG dsg zf8sport is better

shifts just as quick if not quicker and the efficiceny is unreal
Exactly! I started a thread a while back audi s4 dct vs our sport at. I love my sport at its what honestly got me to pick an automatic. After I test drove both the 2012 audi s4 and my 335i with the sport at I was convinced it was smoother and shifted just as fast.
      11-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #18
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Only things I would recommend are DHP and Sport Auto. You can feel the difference. I drove with and without both, and I must say it's noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #19
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

If thats one option you can have get the Sports the different is imo night and day. Also try to conjur up some money for the Xenon lights its sooo worth it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #20
rocko911
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sports line

Which is faster, keeping the shift lever on the "D" mode or shifting it to the left to the "S" ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #21
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Neither. The computer still does the shifting and they're the same.