F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Playing other audio from Iphone5
Extreme Powerhouse

03-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Cultivate
Rep
Drives: 330d F30 MSport Tanzanite Blue

Playing other audio from Iphone5

Thanks to many helpful guides, I have got my iphone 5 working well... Apart from when I want to play other audio through the sound system.

If for example I'm playing some music from iTunes and then I try and use a 3rd party app like BBCiplayer to stream a podcast, it works for like 3 seconds and then switches back to the iTunes song. It does the same for the apple podcasts app, although I have found a workaround by navigating to the podcasts through the menu (but that doesn't help if I Want to stream one)

Any ideas?

Im currently connected via the iphone cable and a lighting 30 pin adapter. I have BMP Pro Nav with extended Bluetooth.
      03-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

There is only one work around to this. You must use/launch BMW Apps (i.e Pandora), first. Then switch to your streaming app.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Cultivate
Rep

OK great! Is Pandora available in the UK? I couldn't find it when searching for it in the apps store on my phone earlier...

Thanks for the tip!
      03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultivate View Post
OK great! Is Pandora available in the UK? I couldn't find it when searching for it in the apps store on my phone earlier...

Thanks for the tip!
Not sure about Pandora, but Aupeo! should be an equivalent app/solution for you. You have BMW Apps on your car, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Cultivate
Rep

I HAVE but i cant get the damn thing to talk to my BMW connected app - every time I try the self diagnosis tool, it fails.

Im awaiting for the Y cable to come through and will try again, as at present in the ConnectedDrive menu I don't see BMP apps....

Will try that app you suggest also, thanks
      03-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
ghettodefendant
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sportline

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I use Spotify on my iPhone 5 in the vehicle with no issues. I find that if you try to change tracks with the vehicles controls on a non-native app, the vehicles audio will revert back to the native music player (iPod etc). I get around this by selecting/skipping tracks on the phone itself. The covers and song titles appear on the car but I've noticed that the track progression bar and time is incorrect.
      03-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultivate View Post
I HAVE but i cant get the damn thing to talk to my BMW connected app - every time I try the self diagnosis tool, it fails.

Im awaiting for the Y cable to come through and will try again, as at present in the ConnectedDrive menu I don't see BMP apps....

Will try that app you suggest also, thanks
No, you don't need to mess with the BMW Connected app. You need to launch an app like Aupeo, then select ConnectedDrive from the iDrive menu. THEN you can launch your streaming app. You don't need the Y cable. Does your car have option code 6NR - BMW Apps? You won't see an option for BMW Apps in the ConnectedDrive sub-menu. After you launch Aupeo on your iPhone, you will see it listed as an option under the ConnectedDrive sub-menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettodefendant View Post
I use Spotify on my iPhone 5 in the vehicle with no issues. I find that if you try to change tracks with the vehicles controls on a non-native app, the vehicles audio will revert back to the native music player (iPod etc). I get around this by selecting/skipping tracks on the phone itself. The covers and song titles appear on the car but I've noticed that the track progression bar and time is incorrect.
You have the new NBT Nav? The behavior is a little different with the new Nav.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Cultivate
Rep

Sam S, great advice! Thanks so much. Off to my dealer on Sunday so I'm sure all will be revealed!

Final question, can movie files be played off an external drive, or USB? Like avi or mov or can you only do from the DVD player/disc?
      03-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Cultivate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettodefendant View Post
Thanks, will give spotify a blast!