F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Coding in Kent
Extreme Powerhouse

06-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux

Coding in Kent

Hi, any recommendations for coders in Kent?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

have you considered doing it yourself?

need a laptop, cable and of course esys and data files.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #3
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
have you considered doing it yourself?

need a laptop, cable and of course esys and data files.
I've bought the Carly dongle but as my car is MY2016 it can't really do much.

I'm also concerned about warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep

If you are concerned about warranty , then there's no difference between you or someone doing it. the dealers are unlikely to spot it. I've had my car services twice since coding and nothing has been said. That includes me making a change to KOMBI which generate an error at time of coding which I thought they might have picked up a servicing when they check any error codes, but nothing was said.

If any changes are made then if the dealer updates software then you will lose them again.

Whilst there is a risk with this, it is low as long as you read up on the procedure and are careful.

I got hold of Esys and made a few changes myself, nothing major. (Set stop start to last setting and indicators in the HUD). As I'm sure you've seen on forums, there is quite a lot that can be done from changing settings and enabling or disabling features to adding a feature (adding to the vehicle order VO) that wasn't present when you bought the car (although you will need the associated hardware of course.

What sort of things are you looking to change out of interest?

I would recommend it and it's rewarding, if you have a laptop running Windows you are halfway there just need to get the cable and obtain the software.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
If you are concerned about warranty , then there's no difference between you or someone doing it. the dealers are unlikely to spot it. I've had my car services twice since coding and nothing has been said. That includes me making a change to KOMBI which generate an error at time of coding which I thought they might have picked up a servicing when they check any error codes, but nothing was said.

If any changes are made then if the dealer updates software then you will lose them again.

Whilst there is a risk with this, it is low as long as you read up on the procedure and are careful.

I got hold of Esys and made a few changes myself, nothing major. (Set stop start to last setting and indicators in the HUD). As I'm sure you've seen on forums, there is quite a lot that can be done from changing settings and enabling or disabling features to adding a feature (adding to the vehicle order VO) that wasn't present when you bought the car (although you will need the associated hardware of course.

What sort of things are you looking to change out of interest?

I would recommend it and it's rewarding, if you have a laptop running Windows you are halfway there just need to get the cable and obtain the software.
Thanks for the advice.

It's mainly the Windows and mirrors closing on the key fob as I used to have it on my f20 and its so frustrating that it no longer works in my f33. (I do have electric folding mirrors but now it only works on the door button)

I do have HUD so indicators displayed may be an interesting option now you have mentioned it. Also speed limits as I didn't select that option but not sure if I need extra bits in the car.

Convertible roof remote open close could be good too but not sure what's possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

"Coding in Kent" *irish accent*

sounds like some kind of a medieval game.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 05:42 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep

surprised the closing the mirrors via key fob is not enabled. I thought us in the UK got that enabled by default, it was sometinhg our U.S. Friends didn't for some reason, so a popular setting to be changed over there.

I would suggest sourcing the software loding up and having a look (along with the instructions) and you are happy with this, order a cable and go for it.
Instructions are pretty straightforward, just make sure you follow to the letter. if in doubt, simply stop.

Speed limit, you'll need the camera hardware so do you have lane departure warning? Sure I read somewhere that later cars couldn't have this coded.
BMW do change things so much so something that works for one model year (or firmware) might not for another.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
surprised the closing the mirrors via key fob is not enabled. I thought us in the UK got that enabled by default, it was sometinhg our U.S. Friends didn't for some reason, so a popular setting to be changed over there.

I would suggest sourcing the software loding up and having a look (along with the instructions) and you are happy with this, order a cable and go for it.
Instructions are pretty straightforward, just make sure you follow to the letter. if in doubt, simply stop.

Speed limit, you'll need the camera hardware so do you have lane departure warning? Sure I read somewhere that later cars couldn't have this coded.
BMW do change things so much so something that works for one model year (or firmware) might not for another.
Sounds promising!

Yes I have the lane departure option (steering where vibrates) so maybe a chance of speed camera.

It's with the dealership as we speak so I'll see what they say re. Mirrors and Windows.

Any particular cable/software sites you can recommend?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjonesuk View Post
Sounds promising!

Yes I have the lane departure option (steering where vibrates) so maybe a chance of speed camera.

It's with the dealership as we speak so I'll see what they say re. Mirrors and Windows.

Any particular cable/software sites you can recommend?

I'd suggest heading over to DIY/Coding Forum HERE and PM "shawnsheridan" for all files needed. Cable can be found with a quick search on Ebay or Amazon.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0