F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive knob problems
ARMA SPEED

12-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

iDrive knob problems

My wife complained that sometimes the iDrive would seem to fire spurious joystick-left events from time to time. The most common case was when she was using the knob to enter text in a search field. She would get a couple of letters in, then the display would unexpectedly jump back to the previous screen.

I had assumed she was accidentally moving the knob left, as she tends to be twitchy with that sort of thing. But this weekend it happened to me several times. On one occasion a very light touch on the top of the knob fired a joystick-left.

Has anyone else seen this? I assume we need to take it into the dealer for repair?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
My wife complained that sometimes the iDrive would seem to fire spurious joystick-left events from time to time. The most common case was when she was using the knob to enter text in a search field. She would get a couple of letters in, then the display would unexpectedly jump back to the previous screen.

I had assumed she was accidentally moving the knob left, as she tends to be twitchy with that sort of thing. But this weekend it happened to me several times. On one occasion a very light touch on the top of the knob fired a joystick-left.

Has anyone else seen this? I assume we need to take it into the dealer for repair?
I've never had accidental clicks in any direction. It's nice and solid with good feedback. I'd have the dealer look at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Yeah that's not normal...could be a faulty switch or faulty piece of wiring somewhere along the line that's shorting out and triggering the false press.

I would just see if it's possible to get it so it's reproducible before you take the car to the dealer, if they can't reproduce it they may not do anything.