F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > All Season Wheel Tire Combo
Extreme Powerhouse

08-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

All Season Wheel Tire Combo

Decided to get the Enkei Racing PF01 rims (18.2 lbs/35mm offset) with the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season 28 lbs) tires for this winter (46.2 lbs/wheel). Square 18x8 225/45R18 91W. As this is a regular tire and not a RFT, my plan is to carry a small compressor, slime plug kit, and a jack kit in the trunk to fix flats. I have a compressor and plug kit readily available. I'm somewhat at a loss for a small jack kit that will fit the F30.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on where I can find a compact jack kit that will fit the F30 and is reasonably priced?

On another note, I recently saw a 2012 Porsche Carrera S promotional video clip and it had wheels very similar in design to the Enkei Racing PF01. At first, I wasn't too certain how it would look on the bimmer. But after seeing it on the Porsche, I'm now very optimistic that it will enhance the overall sports appeal on the bimmer.

The wheels were delivered with the TPM, tires installed, and balanced. Just waiting for the weather to cool down before making the swap from summer tires.

It will be interesting to check the weight of the OEM wheel/tire combination.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

wouldn't dedicated winter tires be better choice ? You are in Chicago and you do get a fair amount of snow, just like in Toronto where I am.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I might get 7-10 days of actual snow driving per winter. When it does snow, the roads are plowed and salted almost over night. Winters are mostly driving in cold dry surface. Between xDrive and cold weather driving with limited exposure to snow, the all weather should get me through the winter just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
wouldn't dedicated winter tires be better choice ? You are in Chicago and you do get a fair amount of snow, just like in Toronto where I am.
I agree. Its not for the days when the roads are taken care of. Its for the days when the roads are not well taken care of, or you have to get home while in the middle of a snow storm.

I'll take a BMW with RWD and Snow tires over one with X-Drive and All seasons any day of the week.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I had driven awd cars & suv in the past with just stock tires (so called all season), I can tell you it's one hell of a scary drive, esp. having the feeling of the tire slipping and not able to stop when you really want to stop.

That's why I rather pay to be safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
cjs033
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I had driven awd cars & suv in the past with just stock tires (so called all season), I can tell you it's one hell of a scary drive, esp. having the feeling of the tire slipping and not able to stop when you really want to stop.

That's why I rather pay to be safe than sorry. Just my 2 cents.
I agree completely Bobblehead...dedicated winter tires are a must and studies have proven time and time again they are the safest for your vehicle in the winter and provide you with much better stopping and gripping power over all seasons. I mean, besides your vehicle, how much is your life worth to you?
Your choice my friend, but you'll never see me on all seasons in the winter.
Cheers

2012 BMW 335i Sedan Sport Line, Mineral Grey Metallic, 35% tint, premium package, sport suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Jackalripp
Jacko
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport line

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I've had winter tires slide on icy roads the same way as a all season or summer tire. If the road is covered with black ice nothing works. Having x drive is better than just rear wheel drive because if you do slide of the road your chances of recovering your car and getting back on the road heading the way you want to go are better.
(I'll take a BMW with RWD and Snow tires over one with X-Drive and All seasons any day of the week.) RIGHT! Rich@GTB .That really makes sense. But, it depends on the person and what he really believes until he finds out different. Move to Fairbanks Alaska and say that.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Wife has a 2002 RX300 with AWD and AS tires. During inclement weather when most RWD cars are slipping and sliding all over the road, the RX300 will handle and drive like a dream. Have occasionally taken it out to test the limits of adhesion when the roads were packed with snow and the local authorities are encouraging everyone to stay home. It reinforces my sense of security knowing that I have to push the driving limits fairly hard before reaching the threshold of control. The threshold is so far above normal driving habits that snow pack roads during inclement weather is not even an issue.

Seems to me that I get the best of both worlds driving in snow or hard dry asphalt in 10 degree weather. You guys drive what you want. More power to you. As for me, I'm perfectly content with AWD and UHP AS tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Installed the A/S tires early. Summer tires definitely have the softer/smoother gliding on ice affect. Noticed a bit more road roar coming through in the A/S tires. The A/S wheel time combo is so much lighter then the OEM wheels its amazing. Hard to notice any difference between summer and A/S tires. Will Probably need to push the limits of adhesion on a test track to really sense any difference between the two tires. Seems the wheels are designed to show rotors and calipers when driven. Very pleased with the initial results.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Installed the A/S tires early. Summer tires definitely have the softer/smoother gliding on ice affect. Noticed a bit more road roar coming through in the A/S tires. The A/S wheel time combo is so much lighter then the OEM wheels its amazing. Hard to notice any difference between summer and A/S tires. Will Probably need to push the limits of adhesion on a test track to really sense any difference between the two tires. Seems the wheels are designed to show rotors and calipers when driven. Very pleased with the initial results.
Not really understanding the logic here? Your car came with the stock wheel set and summer tires. So you decided to buy a dedicated winter wheel and tire set except you chose AS tires instead of dedicated winter tires?

Or is this wheel/tire combo supposed to be used all year long?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
I agree. Its not for the days when the roads are taken care of. Its for the days when the roads are not well taken care of, or you have to get home while in the middle of a snow storm.

I'll take a BMW with RWD and Snow tires over one with X-Drive and All seasons any day of the week.
This....

Why do so many forget that a/s tires harden in the cold. Your dry pavement grip is compromised even without snow and ice on the ground.

Not to mention the OP got "ultra high performance" all seasons; which means they are pretty close to summer tires.

If you're spending the money already on extra rims and tires, it doesn't make any sense. The extra foot or two of braking distance may mean the difference between crashing or driving away.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

A/S tires have more grip on dry pavement than winter tires. Why'd you think otherwise is interesting. Heavily siped tread blocks "squirm" like crazy making predictable handling much harder.

I'm speaking from experience and also from asking this direct question of Tire Rack this week, as I shop for a similar set.
      10-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNJ View Post
Not really understanding the logic here? Your car came with the stock wheel set and summer tires. So you decided to buy a dedicated winter wheel and tire set except you chose AS tires instead of dedicated winter tires?

Or is this wheel/tire combo supposed to be used all year long?
Pete, refer to post #8. Over the top performance and handling in Lexus RX300 with AWD and A/S tires in Chicago snow. The adhesion threshold is so far above normal driving that inclement weather or snow storm is never a concern. The A/S tires is more then sufficient for most AWD vehicles. I get the benefit of softer/smoother A/S tires over the intrusive whining road roar of stiff winter tires during the winter season. Speaking from experience, it works for me. A/S in the winter and summer in summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
A/S tires have more grip on dry pavement than winter tires. Why'd you think otherwise is interesting. Heavily siped tread blocks "squirm" like crazy making predictable handling much harder.

I'm speaking from experience and also from asking this direct question of Tire Rack this week, as I shop for a similar set.
sure, bit when the road surface is cold, or covered in ice or snow a/s do not stop you nearly as well. I'm speaking from being born and raised a Canadian

Last edited by bananachipz; 10-07-2012 at 09:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Pete, refer to post #8. Over the top performance and handling in Lexus RX300 with AWD and A/S tires in Chicago snow. The adhesion threshold is so far above normal driving that inclement weather or snow storm is never a concern. The A/S tires is more then sufficient for most AWD vehicles. I get the benefit of softer/smoother A/S tires over the intrusive whining road roar of stiff winter tires during the winter season. Speaking from experience, it works for me. A/S in the winter and summer in summer.
Still doesn't make sense, but good luck. Hopefully you won't have to emergency brake this winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
not when the road surface is freezing they don't.. Proven by many many test performed by Consumer Reports and others.
you mean dry doesn't mean freezing? get out!
      10-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
you mean dry doesn't mean freezing? get out!
surface can be dry but -10c ...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
This....

Why do so many forget that a/s tires harden in the cold. Your dry pavement grip is compromised even without snow and ice on the ground.

Not to mention the OP got "ultra high performance" all seasons; which means they are pretty close to summer tires.

If you're spending the money already on extra rims and tires, it doesn't make any sense. The extra foot or two of braking distance may mean the difference between crashing or driving away.
+1 Very well said!

Exactly the reason why I went with a dedicated set for summer and now a set for winter.