F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Laws on Reflectors
Extreme Powerhouse

08-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #1
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Laws on Reflectors

Hey all, are reflectors mandatory in Canada? Or more specifically Ontario? Going to be changing up my bumper soon and wondering what my options are for reflectors? Can I just get ones that are the body paint colour, essentially deleting them?
Appreciate 1
thug10820.50
      08-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Twindubs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Hey all, are reflectors mandatory in Canada? Or more specifically Ontario? Going to be changing up my bumper soon and wondering what my options are for reflectors? Can I just get ones that are the body paint colour, essentially deleting them?
I deleted mine and have been driving for 6 months no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
ka24682468
JustinCC
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435xi Gran Coupe

Don't worry about it, tons of my friends deleted it, me as well. Never heard of any problem so far.
2015 BMW X5 3.5i, EVERYTHING
2010 Honda CRV, NOTHING
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Haven't honestly checked, outside of checking out other vehicles, non-modified on their bumpers to see what's factory installed on theirs (non-BMW's) and have noticed it's hit or miss on some factory makes whether or not they even have reflectors installed into their bumpers.

That's to say, I've seen plenty makes and models out there on the road, factory-wise with no reflectors on their front/rear bumpers so I just went ahead and installed my painted ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #5
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all! Much appreciated since I just got my new bumpers today and would like to drive without reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I mean, the best and most accurate way of knowing is checking your provincial regulations, however I'm pretty certain if you see other makes on the road, stock, with no reflectors in their bumpers, you should be fine.

Police have more important things to do, but then again... You have headlights and brake lights...you're good.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #7
Nick340xi_qc
EMT - Firefighter
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 340xi mppsk

Garage List
2012 328i  [10.00]
2006 325I  [0.00]
1988 ranger  [0.00]
Ive deleted reflectors front and rear and it's been a while. There's not that many officer who knows the law about relfectors. They usually bother about the height of my car and camber...
BMW 2012 328i F30 Sport / Ext black / Mperf Front and Rear bumper / Front lip and rear diffusor Mperf / Oem Yellow BBK / Low kick carbon spoiler / Varrstoen ES1 / H&R coilover / 335i MPE / AA flash tune + burble / ER downpipe
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
norules
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435ix GC M Sport

If I may go off on a small tangent, how did you all manage to remove the front reflectors on the F3X models? I tried heating mine up with a hairdryer and it just wouldn't budge. I even tried prying with a flat head screwdriver and it looked like my bumper was going to get a dent from the inside so I stopped.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by norules View Post
If I may go off on a small tangent, how did you all manage to remove the front reflectors on the F3X models? I tried heating mine up with a hairdryer and it just wouldn't budge. I even tried prying with a flat head screwdriver and it looked like my bumper was going to get a dent from the inside so I stopped.
Well, about all I can tell you is: Keep doing what you were doing. It's a bitch, no lie. Especially on mine as I didn't even swap them out until 5 years after it was manufactured (bought it on a lease return), so you can imagine how hard that 3M foamy crap was.

Just keep applying heat to the outer edges from the outside of the bumper along the reflector and it'll come out eventually. It was a right pain in the ass for me when I took mine out so I feel for ya, lol. When they did come off, I had to scrap the inner bumper to get rid of all that torn sticky foam so I could apply the new reflectors cleanly for a smooth inner surface.

Brand new ones would be much easier I'd have to assume as the glue wouldn't have adhered/dried to the bumper as much.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
norules
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435ix GC M Sport

Thanks for sharing, I feel a little more hopeful now. Do you remember how long you had to heat it for? I must've heated it for a good 5 minutes and it wasn't doing anything!

Back on topic a bit, I quickly skimmed the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and I didn't see anything about reflectors (only the number of lights and what colour they can be). I have friends who run no reflectors or clear reflectors for 10+ years without any issues ever.

I believe it is a requirement somewhere, but for simplicity in manufacturing, they make it all the same regardless of which market they sell it. When you see a make/model without a reflector on the front bumper, it is usually because it's built into the headlight unit; e.g. the G35 has it on the bumper, but the G37/Q60 integrated it into the headlight.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
LiquidMercury
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, I feel a little more hopeful now. Do you remember how long you had to heat it for? I must've heated it for a good 5 minutes and it wasn't doing anything!

Back on topic a bit, I quickly skimmed the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and I didn't see anything about reflectors (only the number of lights and what colour they can be). I have friends who run no reflectors or clear reflectors for 10+ years without any issues ever.

I believe it is a requirement somewhere, but for simplicity in manufacturing, they make it all the same regardless of which market they sell it. When you see a make/model without a reflector on the front bumper, it is usually because it's built into the headlight unit; e.g. the G35 has it on the bumper, but the G37/Q60 integrated it into the headlight.
Hours!!!

Ok, it only seemed like that, but in reality about the same time. I think the experience was traumatizing (because those uToob vids sure do make it look easy as shit, huh? LOL) as I'm pretty sure I blocked most of the process from my memory after seeing them finally in place and feeling euphoric afterwards.

Pretty sure I said to myself, 'Fuck this!' and ended up with using a pry tool (Hell, even vice grips would work) on the inner bumper to grab and pull the reflector in one hand and my gf's hair drier in the other. I do recall her laughing at the ridiculous visual she must've been witnessing at the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
JackAdams
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335xi

Quote:

I found that if you do exactly what you were doing - about 3-5 mins all around the edges, i.e. where the glue is - then spend about 1 minute on one of the corners, that was the trick for me. You give that 1 corner a good push and once it gives, the rest follows pretty easily. After that, a few minutes peeling off whatever glue is left on the inside and you're good to go. Good Luck!
      08-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAdams View Post
I found that if you do exactly what you were doing - about 3-5 mins all around the edges, i.e. where the glue is - then spend about 1 minute on one of the corners, that was the trick for me. You give that 1 corner a good push and once it gives, the rest follows pretty easily. After that, a few minutes peeling off whatever glue is left on the inside and you're good to go. Good Luck!
I haven't removed mine since I'm going to be installing an M3 style front bumper soon, but I saw this video before when I was considering just swapping out the reflectors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfexvQRaP-c

See if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Never seen anyone with issues deleting reflectors. Cops here usually won't pick on current model BMWs as long they seemingly look factory.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340xi MPPSK

Quote:
I used a heatgun, more heat and less fan than a hair dryer but I'm sure a hairdryer can achieve the same results.

You have to keep heating it up in a rectangular motion around the shape of the reflector. Then start to peel off from one corner and slowly pull it off. Keep doing this in heat, pull, heat pull, heat pull, you will eventually get it.

EDIT: while you pull from the inside, use other hand to push from the outside.
Appreciate 0