F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Steering Wheel Vibration Poll (Which Wheels Do It)
proTUNING Freaks
View Poll Results: Please check if you have a vibration or None
Style 393 Yes 12 17.39%
Style 393 No 6 8.70%
Style 396 Yes 0 0%
Style 396 No 2 2.90%
Style 397 Yes 12 17.39%
Style 397 No 21 30.43%
Style 401 Yes 2 2.90%
Style 401 No 2 2.90%
Style 415 Yes 1 1.45%
Style 415 No 0 0%
Style 416 Yes 4 5.80%
Style 416 No 7 10.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

08-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by batislav View Post
I wonder if there was a batch with more problems resulting in a geographic concentration of the problem, because I drove 5 different models when test driving and didn't notice any shake. I was paying a ton of attention to the steering feel because I didn't like how it felt on the non-sport non-vss ones so I was primed to find problems if there were any.
At first i thought it was real early models. My car was one of the first 500 made, and i read that they changed a competent in the steering box after march builds. But my chop foreman just got an F30 and said his was even worse than mine. Def has to do with the electric steering. He thinks it might be that there is not enough amperage to the steering box. But there is no fix as of now. Ideally i would just get another F30 without the problem but there is not guarantee it will be fine, so i am looking at the 135.
      08-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
At first i thought it was real early models. My car was one of the first 500 made, and i read that they changed a competent in the steering box after march builds. But my chop foreman just got an F30 and said his was even worse than mine. Def has to do with the electric steering. He thinks it might be that there is not enough amperage to the steering box. But there is no fix as of now. Ideally i would just get another F30 without the problem but there is not guarantee it will be fine, so i am looking at the 135.
The software fix for ASS stalls adjusted the amperage for that function, so clearly they're still working on the software to control all the electrical features.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Taking the hands off the steering wheel at 50 mph and the wheel shakes, not a subtle shake but a shake. Having owned numerous different BMW's, from 8+ E90's, X3, X5's, 5serie(5+). I can tell you that i have never seen a BMW steering wheel shake in the 15+ Bmw's i have had like the wheel shakes in the F30.

Can i feel it? Yes, a little, its not bad, but its also not acceptable. It would be a different issue if i could just bring it in and they fix it but since it can no be fixed(shop foreman told me so). I am unsatisfied, especially considering the amount of money i pay monthly for the car.

Like i said, 99% of people might not notice or care, but then again, us enthusiasts have higher expectations and standards than the average owner.
Normal vibration over rough surface is expected, but a noticeable shake over smoother asphalt is totally unacceptable.

As for the question if people are on the hunt for a visual shake? Of course not, but if you notice it and you know it wont go away or be fixed are you ok with that on a brand new car? I am not.

As far as can i feel it? I feel something, but since this is my first f30 and everyone i drive is the same(vibration 40-60) it's hard to tell if its the steering or the road. One thing that is certain is the visual vibration in the steering wheel. I will say my E90 sport felt a lot smoother through my hands and everyone of my E90 steering wheels never had a hint of vibration/movement.

My dealer is very friendly and aware of my high expectations, they have swapped me out of a few cars before without hesitation, mainly because i have gotten 20+ cars from them in the past 6 years.

Facts
-Visual vibration between 40-60
-Shop foreman says he notices it, and is even worse on his personal F30
-There is no fix currently
Thanks for coming back on my comments, your explanation makes more sense to me now. BTW, I'm not trying to undermine the seriousness of this issue, but we do know forums can self perpetuate an issue, even get it out of all proportion if we are not careful.

I'm trying to get my head inside this problem, at present I'm minded to think there is an overreaction going on. As you are an experienced BMW driver, do you feel this vibration is anything like wheel balance/shimmy? What I am leading to, is it in a similar frequency range to wheel balance problems, at the steering wheel, or a much higher frequency? As if the steering servo is somehow working overtime, even in straight line driving.

Have you found (or anyone else) that the vibration changes, even disappears, if the car is rounding a bend (same speed), but where you are definitely holding pressure on the steering wheel to hold the line?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Thanks for coming back on my comments, your explanation makes more sense to me now. BTW, I'm not trying to undermine the seriousness of this issue, but we do know forums can self perpetuate an issue, even get it out of all proportion if we are not careful.

I'm trying to get my head inside this problem, at present I'm minded to think there is an overreaction going on. As you are an experienced BMW driver, do you feel this vibration is anything like wheel balance/shimmy? What I am leading to, is it in a similar frequency range to wheel balance problems, at the steering wheel, or a much higher frequency? As if the steering servo is somehow working overtime, even in straight line driving.

Have you found (or anyone else) that the vibration changes, even disappears, if the car is rounding a bend (same speed), but where you are definitely holding pressure on the steering wheel to hold the line?

HighlandPete
Good questions. Wheel balance was one of the first things we(myself and dealer) thought could be the problem, they checked balance, alignement, all that good stuff and it did not resolve the problem. Others that have this issue have reported that after a balance the issue is still there, although i think i did read of someone who got their issue resolved after a rebalance.

I have not looked for it in a turn, mostly because it is hard to detect unless i take my hands off the wheel. I will try to test that next time i out.
      08-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Vibration exists

I was at a different dealership today (my second attempt to fix this vibration issue). Before they attempted to fix the issue, I had the shopforeman drive the car. He noticed the vibration / whobbing immediately and acknowledged that it should not be happening. They spent 2+ hours and told me they rebalanced 4 wheels/tires and the vibration is gone. I got excited and I drove the car to test and the vibration still exists. So, I do not understand how can they say that the issue is fixed and the car is operating normal if the vibration is still there. It is so insulting for them to say that this is normal for this car. a $45.000 car should not have a vibration at all. These are the two biggest BMW dealerships in ATL, truely sad.
While my car was at the deaership, they gave me a 2012 F30 loaner with 17" wheels and that car had very minor vibration, almost non existant. I will have one more attempt to fix this issue and then take another direction I guess.
      08-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
I was at a different dealership today (my second attempt to fix this vibration issue). Before they attempted to fix the issue, I had the shopforeman drive the car. He noticed the vibration / whobbing immediately and acknowledged that it should not be happening. They spent 2+ hours and told me they rebalanced 4 wheels/tires and the vibration is gone. I got excited and I drove the car to test and the vibration still exists. So, I do not understand how can they say that the issue is fixed and the car is operating normal if the vibration is still there. It is so insulting for them to say that this is normal for this car. a $45.000 car should not have a vibration at all. These are the two biggest BMW dealerships in ATL, truely sad.
While my car was at the deaership, they gave me a 2012 F30 loaner with 17" wheels and that car had very minor vibration, almost non existant. I will have one more attempt to fix this issue and then take another direction I guess.
It's a shame because it's a really nice car. Never had anything like this in my E90's.

No question it's related to the electric steering. If it is in fact hardware related and not software related(which is what i think) then thats going to be a bitch to fix.

I will be calling the head of service on Monday and ask him what my options are regarding the next step. I either want a new F30 or a 135. Leaning towards the 135.
      08-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
Tim_78
Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

135i is due to change next year. If you are planning on keeping this car more than a couple of years, you will end up with a car that will be outdated (if you care for that of course).

Another F30 might have the same issue when you receive the new one, so I think it is risky.

In any case, good luck with your decision.

Quote:
It's a shame because it's a really nice car. Never had anything like this in my E90's.

No question it's related to the electric steering. If it is in fact hardware related and not software related(which is what i think) then thats going to be a bitch to fix.

I will be calling the head of service on Monday and ask him what my options are regarding the next step. I either want a new F30 or a 135. Leaning towards the 135.
      08-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #30
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_78 View Post
135i is due to change next year. If you are planning on keeping this car more than a couple of years, you will end up with a car that will be outdated (if you care for that of course).

Another F30 might have the same issue when you receive the new one, so I think it is risky.

In any case, good luck with your decision.
Yea, the next 135 will probably continue this "technology craze" bmw is on. I thought my E90 N54 was the perfect car. Pissed i got rid of it.

I dont mind the current body style because i will only have it for 2and a half years(remaning time on my current lease).

Just not sure if i would go DCT or 6M