F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help, dealership could not aim my headlights
Extreme Powerhouse

07-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340i

Previous owner messed with headlights and they pointed extremely high and because of that I got high-beamed by every other passing car at night. They would literally hit the top of highway signs

I took it back to the dealership that I bought the car from (1hr away) because my local dealership (10mins away) would not do it for free. Local dealership wanted like $200

After a few days I got my car back and drove it at night. The head lights are lower, but are definitely not reset to factory.

I don't really feel like driving an hour to take it back to the dealership for them to half ass it again.

I need help re-aligning my headlights!!!!

If you could post pictures of your headlights pointed at a wall. Measure the approximate distance of your front tire to the wall and measure the hight of your beam on the wall and the distance between the two peaks.

Or is there a diagram/guide out there that can tell me all this? =\

I have the LED head lights pictures below show how my headlights are currently.

One from closer range and one from further range.

You can see that my passenger side is definitely out of line.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Passenger side up close
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=742204

Scroll down to page 4. The thread is old and some of the pics have disappeared.
It is unbelievably easy.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Trxn View Post
Passenger side up close
This looks normal to me. Park on a flat road about 25 feet away from a wall and measure how high they are. Measurement on the wall should be ground to headlights - 1 or 2 inches.
      07-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyWilly View Post
Quote:
Passenger side up close
This looks normal to me. Park on a flat road about 25 feet away from a wall and measure how high they are. Measurement on the wall should be ground to headlights - 1 or 2 inches.
Bad quality pic. But if you look, you can see there is a random step down just the right of the peak.

And if you look at my first post you can tell that the passenger points an couple inches higher than the diver side

Interesting 2 inches 25 feet out?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post

It is unbelievably easy.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #7
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Bad quality pic. But if you look, you can see there is a random step down just the right of the peak.

And if you look at my first post you can tell that the passenger points an couple inches higher than the diver side

The passenger side should be higher than the driver's side to keep from blinding on coming drivers, and to also provide you more light down the road on the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Quote:

The passenger side should be higher than the driver's side to keep from blinding on coming drivers, and to also provide you more light down the road on the passenger side.
There's already a difference in height in the cut off

At a distance when the beams over lap then yes the light on driver side should be lower than the light on the passenger side

Up close they should be relatively the same height
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
odus
Call me daddy
Rep
Drives: dont worry

Like others have said the driver should be lower than passenger these don't seem too bad. Also, the BMW projectors don't have the best cut off so that doesn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Previous owner messed with headlights and they pointed extremely high and because of that I got high-beamed by every other passing car at night. They would literally hit the top of highway signs

I took it back to the dealership that I bought the car from (1hr away) because my local dealership (10mins away) would not do it for free. Local dealership wanted like $200

After a few days I got my car back and drove it at night. The head lights are lower, but are definitely not reset to factory.

I don't really feel like driving an hour to take it back to the dealership for them to half ass it again.

If you could post pictures of your headlights pointed at a wall. Measure the approximate distance of your front tire to the wall and measure the hight of your beam on the wall and the distance between the two peaks.

You title is click bait and false.

The Dealer COULD aim your Headlights, you just didn't want to pay them to do so.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #11
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Quote:

The Dealer COULD aim your Headlights, you just didn't want to pay them to do so.
Uhh i took it to a dealer to have them aimed and they could not aim them correctly back to factory. So I drove up once already, but like the title could not get them back to factory.

And my local dealer wants me to pay to have it redone a second time and the other dealer is far

All Im asking is for help to aim the headlights myself in order to save myself some time and money.

Thanks for your input
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Quote:

Uhh i took it to a dealer to have them aimed and they could not aim them correctly back to factory. So I drove up once already, but like the title could not get them back to factory.

And my local dealer wants me to pay to have it redone a second time and the other dealer is far

All Im asking is for help to aim the headlights myself in order to save myself some time and money.

Thanks for your input
The xenon headlights on my 2015 F36 looks similar to your picture. Passenger is a bit higher...
      07-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #13
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
You can definitely adjust yourself.

If you have LED headlights make sure that the light switch is in position 2 and NOT auto whilst doing the adjustment.

For vertical adjustment, anti clockwise will raise and vice versa.

If the beam does not move when you are turning the manual adjusters in the engine bay then you will need to adjust the horizontal first as this will then free up the mechanism to allow vertical adjustment.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #14
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Is the dealer telling you they can't aim your lights back to factory specs, or is it your opinion that they can't put them back to factory?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Quote:
Is the dealer telling you they can't aim your lights back to factory specs, or is it your opinion that they can't put them back to factory?
Alright, my wording is confusing. But to clear this up, they want to try again because they half assed it the first time. Im sure if they spent more time the first time they could do it.

But I dont have the time and dont want to drive that far again for them to try again.

And I dont want to pay my local dealer for something that the other dealer should have done before I got the car

Can everyone just drop the details.........

I got the info I needed thanks to those that offered help.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #16
Kevin_Trxn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
You can definitely adjust yourself.

If you have LED headlights make sure that the light switch is in position 2 and NOT auto whilst doing the adjustment.

For vertical adjustment, anti clockwise will raise and vice versa.

If the beam does not move when you are turning the manual adjusters in the engine bay then you will need to adjust the horizontal first as this will then free up the mechanism to allow vertical adjustment.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #17
sledge149
Rep
Drives: F30

Black Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katin View Post

It is unbelievably easy.
I've seen the post you reference before. But I have a slightly different issue. I can adjust the up and down position just fine, but the horizontal adjusters have a black "cap" on top of the white adjuster. I'm not sure how to remove that cap to get to the screw, or hex, or whatever it is. I feel like if I try too hard, I might break something.

Have you, or anyone, heard of a black cap over the horizontal adjuster before?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:27 AM   #18
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge149 View Post
I've seen the post you reference before. But I have a slightly different issue. I can adjust the up and down position just fine, but the horizontal adjusters have a black "cap" on top of the white adjuster. I'm not sure how to remove that cap to get to the screw, or hex, or whatever it is. I feel like if I try too hard, I might break something.

Have you, or anyone, heard of a black cap over the horizontal adjuster before?
You just pop it off (go to 9:30 of the video):

Appreciate 0