F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT: driving & foot injury
Studio RSR

05-10-2015, 04:14 AM   #1
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (GO8) M Sport Pro incoming

OT: driving & foot injury

Anyone ever broken their left ankle?

If so how long before you could drive?

I've an automatic, but not allowed to weight-bare for 6wks so not sure how long I'll not be able to drive!

Just as I was about to order a new 1 LCI too!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #2
DanDM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport

I broke my left ankle in Austria on 5 Jan, slightly inconveniently as it was the second day of a snowboarding trip. I didn't drive for an entire 3 days, until picking up my car from Gatwick.
That said I'm not entirely normal. I was driving (a manual) the day after an ACL reconstruction too.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:24 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Have had a few knee ops, Achilles rips etc, only one when using an auto and was told unable to drive until seen by doctor after x weeks.

I think the key but is not about being able to but being actually legally allowed to in respect to insurance - this is where doctor should be key, as they have the yes / no vote.

Basically you need a 'note' saying you are cleared to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #4
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

Putting aside wisdom of having a freshly broken swollen ankle dangling in a footwell, tell your insurers. If they're happy for you to drive, then fine. But make sure you do tell your insurers. Dan was a little lucky cos if he'd had a prang driving so soon after broken ankle / ACL recon, then his insurance company would have likely tried to not pay.

I'd be happy for you to drive if your insurers are happy (without knowing medical details, nature of injury, whether surgery might be needed etc)

Problem is a bulky cast can impede your right foot in smallish car footwells.

The general rule is "can you do an emergency stop safely?" which is usually a bit easier with a broken left ankle in an automatic car.

In more general terms, there's some evidence out there to back up the general rules that you shouldn't drive for 6 weeks after hip, knee replacement or bunion surgery.

ps get that foot elevated properly. Two pillows beneath your heel, so gravity takes the fluid downhill towards your knee and hip.

hope you feel better soon.

DOI: Orthopaedic Consultant
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:47 AM   #5
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice.

I'm back at the fracture clinic on wed so I'll wait until then to get a more official yes/no!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

i broke my left leg and didnt stop driving luckly it was an auto and there was plenty room for cast on foot rest so really it depends on the space available.
Bad part was leg never healed and i was on crutches and in severe pain for years hope you make a quick recovery good luck .
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 1527
i broke my left leg and didnt stop driving luckly it was an auto and there was plenty room for cast on foot rest so really it depends on the space available.
Bad part was leg never healed and i was on crutches and in severe pain for years hope you make a quick recovery good luck .
Ouch!! Did driving with the injury contribute to the healing process for you?
I'm sure there is space for the cast, but not suppose to put foot down, so I'd be cautious of resting it down :
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #8
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Few years back broke my right calcaneus.

In excruciating pain (for the first few weeks) I used to accelerate up until the point cruise control would kick in and would control acceleration via cruise control stalk.
Lucky for me I know how to do left foot braking, so would do that to stop.

If it was my left one that had been broken, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to me in an automatic.

If you can hack the pain which the smallest of vibrations can trigger you are fine to drive.

If you want to be official about it tell the insurance company. They may want you to be signed as fit to drive by a doctor.
With me I asked the doc before the insurance company and he refused to sign me off for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks, so I didn't bother telling insurance and just drove.

With you it's not even your right leg and you drive an auto, so really can't see any reason why you can't drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

No just had too much damage leg never recovered to tell the truth I kept my leg elevated and only had it down for short journeys as I was on the sick so only had a short drive to and from hospital appointments good luck and hope you are well soon
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Few years back broke my right calcaneus.

In excruciating pain (for the first few weeks) I used to accelerate up until the point cruise control would kick in and would control acceleration via cruise control stalk.
Lucky for me I know how to do left foot braking, so would do that to stop.

If it was my left one that had been broken, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to me in an automatic.

If you can hack the pain which the smallest of vibrations can trigger you are fine to drive.

If you want to be official about it tell the insurance company. They may want you to be signed as fit to drive by a doctor.
With me I asked the doc before the insurance company and he refused to sign me off for a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks, so I didn't bother telling insurance and just drove.

With you it's not even your right leg and you drive an auto, so really can't see any reason why you can't drive.
I'm very glad and relieved for your potential victims you were lucky enough not to have an accident that harmed other people during that time.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Sorry no broken ankle experience but GET WELL SOON
      05-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
ammo23
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the "get well" msgs guys

Think I'll stay out the drivers seat until I've had the all clear. Not worth the hassle if something was to happen whilst driving with the cast on. Plus the Mrs won't allow it
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #13
DanDM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport

Just to clear up any confusion, your insurers must cover third party liability if you mow someone down, even if you're driving with 3 broken ankles whilst smoking a spliff and watching Corrie on your ipad.
Although, one clearly ought not to drive if one is unable to safely control the car.
Appreciate 0