F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS JB Stage 1 vs. AFE Power Scorcher Module
ARMA SPEED

03-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #133
dgzill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

I got my tune today but my dash display started craping out on me so I'm going to have to take it in for service before I load up the tune......bummer!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #134
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgzill
I got my tune today but my dash display started craping out on me so I'm going to have to take it in for service before I load up the tune......bummer!
That's sucks man! What a bummer! But i will tell you this much! You will not regret it!!! In fact, you wouldn't want to get out of your car! As we speak! Im tempted to go back in the car and go for a nice drive!! ))
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #135
FrozenDarkness
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wanted to ask about this boost, it doesn't require any other installs right? For example, no air intake or exhaust upgrades? Is it suggested?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #136
FrozenDarkness
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also, since the F30 has like sport/eco pro mode/etc, how does this actually effect those settings? Will it just make each setting faster or does it only affect sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #137
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
I wanted to ask about this boost, it doesn't require any other installs right? For example, no air intake or exhaust upgrades? Is it suggested?

No, the power claims are with no other hardware changes, just the tune. Hardware will make even bigger gains, such as downpipe and exhaust. Intakes are proven to not make more power than stock on these cars.
Quote:
Also, since the F30 has like sport/eco pro mode/etc, how does this actually effect those settings? Will it just make each setting faster or does it only affect sport?
It affects all settings.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #138
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Will it just make each setting faster or does it only affect sport?
It makes each mode more responsive. Yes, if you want to carry out some flat to the floor time trials, it makes the car faster than stock. It doesn't matter which mode you select when you want max power & torque from the car. It's the same in all of them.

It gives EcoPro mode the nice kick it needs. Not so sluggish with the JB1. I keep my car in Comfort mode 90% of the time since there's lots of traffic where I live. More than adequate, especially if I want that extra kick.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #139
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
No. Forget about air intake. No gains there. You will get great performance boost just from the JB1. As for exhaust, no gains there either, just a deeper growl, unless you modify the entire exhaust system. Limited gains there for the cost.

You can change the stock down pipe with catalytic converter to a cat free down pipe for added power & torque, but in pretty much every country you change it over, it will make the car illegal for the road.

Use the best street gas you can get your hands on.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #140
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
No. Forget about air intake. No gains there. You will get great performance boost just from the JB1. As for exhaust, no gains there either, just a deeper growl, unless you modify the entire exhaust system. Limited gains there for the cost.

You can change the stock down pipe with catalytic converter to a cat free down pipe for added power & torque, but in pretty much every country you change it over, it will make the car illegal for the road.

Use the best street gas you can get your hands on.
I saw gains with a catback, 7whp and 20ft lbs.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #141
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I saw gains with a catback, 7whp and 20ft lbs.
Yes, the further you go back, the slightly better the result, but at what cost though? Not worth the expense, especially when you can achieve such fantastic gains with relatively little cost with our JB1s.

I was right, my supplier forgot about the USB cable.

Mike, if/when you read this post, or if you know Jameson, do I need to have the engine on if I want to adjust the boost to 4psi?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #142
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the further you go back, the slightly better the result, but at what cost though? Not worth the expense, especially when you can achieve such fantastic gains with relatively little cost with our JB1s.

I was right, my supplier forgot about the USB cable.

Mike, if/when you read this post, or if you know Jameson, do I need to have the engine on if I want to adjust the boost to 4psi?
The catback will be under $1000 and will be even better with the BMS stage 1 and 2. The more boost, the more benefit exhaust and down pipe can help.

30whp is nice from BMS, but that's just he start. My catback will be free since I was the development car. so for little money out of pocket I plan on coming very close to 300whp.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #143
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
My catback will be free since I was the development car. so for little money out of pocket I plan on coming very close to 300whp.
Cannot get cheaper than that!!! The benefit of giving your car in for the good of the F30 328i world! Well done.

But for us ordinary payers, the JB1 plus each of the upgrades and the boost to 4psi will do me just fine - for now.

When do you take delivery of your exhaust? Which brand? So many on the market now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #144
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cannot get cheaper than that!!! The benefit of giving your car in for the good of the F30 328i world! Well done.

But for us ordinary payers, the JB1 plus each of the upgrades and the boost to 4psi will do me just fine - for now.

When do you take delivery of your exhaust? Which brand? So many on the market now.
Rogue Engineering. Hoping for March, April maybe.

Lots on the market, butnI was there for the before and after dynos, no tricks, real power, less weight, sounds great and its adjustable.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #145
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep

Alright guys, I finally did my 0-60 with the tune... Before i put up my results, to let everyone know, my car is a 2013 automatic F30 328i Sedan (baseline model) N26 engine.

Now, my car has no other modifications. The only thing i have on my car is the BMS JB Stage 1 Tune. Other than that, just 19" Wheels, THAT'S IT! I used 91 octane. I didn't have a full tank, I had 78 miles left till empty. Put the settings in Sport Mode with traction on. As far as the weather, it was 66°F(19°C). No wind, no rain. Roads were dry and were paved ok. A few little tiny bumps, but thats it. It was a clear night. Time was 2:00 AM.

Without tune (no modification, no racing fuel, using only 91 octane):
1st run: (0-60mph: 5.8)
2nd run: (0-60mph: 5.7)

With tune (BMS JB Stage 1 Tune only on the car, no racing fuel, using only 91 octane):
1st run: (0-60mph: 5.5)
2nd run: (0-60mph: 5.3)

*With and without tune were tested on different days, but around the same time and same weather conditions. Everything was about the same. I used a stopwatch to time the runs, and was very accurate with the time. From the moment I pushed the pedal all the way down, till i reached at exactly 60mph.

The verdict is that the tune is honestly amazing, but not 0-60mph 4.9s amazing. It's definitely a great tune for the buck! It definitely blows aFe Scorcher Module out of the water, because a Stage 2 from BMS Shall be coming soon and i cant wait to install that on and test it out. I have a feeling my car will then go from 0-60 4.9s having stage 2 on, which i cant wait to get!

Last edited by VANOS; 03-14-2013 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #146
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post

With tune (BMS JB Stage 1 Tune only on the car, no racing fuel, using only 91 octane):

The verdict is that the tune is honestly amazing, but not 0-60mph 4.9s amazing.
Fantastic figures for 91AKI.
If you would have used 93 gas, expect even quicker times. Allow 0.1 second for stopwatch reaction time. 4.9sec 0-60mph quite achievable with the highest grade pump fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #147
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Alright guys, I finally did my 0-60 with the tune... Before i put up my results, to let everyone know, my car is a 2013 automatic F30 328i Sedan (baseline model) N26 engine.

Now, my car has no other modifications. The only thing i have on my car is the BMS JB Stage 1 Tune. Other than that, just 19" Wheels, THAT'S IT! I used 91 octane. I didn't have a full tank, I had 78 miles left till empty. Put the settings in Sport Mode with traction on. As far as the weather, it was 66°F(19°C). No wind, no rain. Roads were dry and were paved ok. A few little tiny bumps, but thats it. It was a clear night. Time was 2:00 AM.

*With and without tune were tested on different days, but around the same time and same weather conditions. Everything was about the same. I used a stopwatch to time the runs, and was very accurate with the time. From the moment I pushed the pedal all the way down, till i reached at exactly 60mph.

The verdict is that the tune is honestly amazing, but not 0-60mph 4.9s amazing. It's definitely a great tune for the buck! It definitely blows aFe Scorcher Module out of the water, because a Stage 2 from BMS Shall be coming soon and i cant wait to install that on and test it out. I have a feeling my car will then go from 0-60 4.9s having stage 2 on, which i cant wait to get!
You are not going to hit 4.9 with traction control on, look at Edmunds.com 0-60 times, they post times for with and without traction control on, times for this car are an easy .3 slower. So factor in the 93 octane and 4psi boost and no traction control on with a proper launch and you should hit pretty close to 4.9. If your 19's are heavier than stock, well that is slowing you down too.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #148
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport
Quote:

The verdict is that the tune is honestly amazing, but not 0-60mph 4.9s amazing.
Fantastic figures for 91AKI.
If you would have used 93 gas, expect even quicker times. Allow 0.1 second for stopwatch reaction time. 4.9sec 0-60mph quite achievable with the highest grade pump fuel.
Ya if i added a higher fuel grade! Wow! The numbers would be fantastic! ) But i am looking at it more practical. Like daily driving, using 91AKI when filling up... Most definitely though David, when i get my hands on fuel higher than 91 i am most definitely going to record my results and enjoy the hell out of that machine! :

Btw David I did do that with my stop watch. I made it as accurate as i could. I allowed 0.1 on the stop watch before actually timing it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #149
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:

Now, my car has no other modifications. The only thing i have on my car is the BMS JB Stage 1 Tune. Other than that, just 19" Wheels, THAT'S IT! I used 91 octane. I didn't have a full tank, I had 78 miles left till empty. Put the settings in Sport Mode with traction on. As far as the weather, it was 66F(19C). No wind, no rain. Roads were dry and were paved ok. A few little tiny bumps, but thats it. It was a clear night. Time was 2:00 AM.

You are not going to hit 4.9 with traction control on, look at Edmunds.com 0-60 times, they post times for with and without traction control on, times for this car are an easy .3 slower. So factor in the 93 octane and 4psi boost and no traction control on with a proper launch and you should hit pretty close to 4.9. If your 19's are heavier than stock, well that is slowing you down too.
You know, i have tried with and without traction control and it wasn't much faster. It was like .1 seconds faster :/ i will definitely have a go again with and without traction control on just to be sure. As far as my wheels, they are lighter than my stock wheels, so thats ok. But i will have a go again asap! And post up my results... And as i mentioned earlier for the fuel thing i am just basing it off with something more practical you know. For those who just want to fill up using only but 91. Becsuse i know in some places its hard to get abything over 91 unless you are at the track. But that's how im looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #150
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, i have tried with and without traction control and it wasn't much faster. It was like .1 seconds faster :/ i will definitely have a go again with and without traction control on just to be sure. As far as my wheels, they are lighter than my stock wheels, so thats ok. But i will have a go again asap! And post up my results... And as i mentioned earlier for the fuel thing i am just basing it off with something more practical you know. For those who just want to fill up using only but 91. Becsuse i know in some places its hard to get abything over 91 unless you are at the track. But that's how im looking at it.
They do not use traction control, because they actually LAUNCH the car.

See wheelspin, is a good thing for times, when it's done the right way with the right amount.

Too much, and your times are slowed down, no wheelspin and the car is slower.

So if you are just flooring it from a dead stop, you will not have ideal times like the mags and 4.9 of the tuner. If you have an auto, you will need to brake torque to load the tq convertor, about 2500-3100rpms. If you have a 6mt, you will need to drop or side step the clutch after 2500rpms or so.

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #151
VANOS
NFS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
They do not use traction control, because they actually LAUNCH the car.

See wheelspin, is a good thing for times, when it's done the right way with the right amount.

Too much, and your times are slowed down, no wheelspin and the car is slower.

So if you are just flooring it from a dead stop, you will not have ideal times like the mags and 4.9 of the tuner. If you have an auto, you will need to brake torque to load the tq convertor, about 2500-3100rpms. If you have a 6mt, you will need to drop or side step the clutch after 2500rpms or so.
Ok so then what i will do on my next run i will definitely do that and see how much faster my car can pull. I hope it really is 4.9s. Thanks for you tip JV!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #152
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok so then what i will do on my next run i will definitely do that and see how much faster my car can pull. I hope it really is 4.9s. Thanks for you tip JV!
Sounds good!

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #153
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Becsuse i know in some places its hard to get abything over 91 unless you are at the track.
What about where you live? Can you get 93AKI easily? What is the cost of the different grades of gas in your area.

We are most fortunate here in Australia to have perhaps an over selection of different grades of petrol, with and without Ethanol as well as diesel fuel. I use only the highest grade 98RON fuel WITHOUT Ethanol. Shell V-Power. This would equal your 93AKI.

Looking forward to reading more 2:00am 0-60mph run stats from you.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #154
MarkyMarkOz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328

Quote:
..... So, yes, if I was to boost the turbo to 4psi, I would certainly expect to feel an improvement with the 98RON. I need the USB cable first.
Can I be so bold to ask Mike or JB what the pin-out/spec of the cable is so I can make my own? Simple reason being it is only a $35 cable and by the time I pay for shipping to Australia, is it really worth it to either of us?
Appreciate 0