F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Huge letdown from my car and BMW NA customer relations.
ARMA SPEED

12-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #67
mcli
_________
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt

The frustration at having to take your car in three times in about a year of ownership is understandable. Being without a car, unplanned, is a huge disruption to your life. That said, you do have a choice in how you deal with these unfortunate occurrences, and your composure defines you (not them).

Choice 1: blast the dealer and the brand, publicly and directly.
Choice 2: take care of yourself (E.G., arrange transportation) and calmly address your concerns with the dealership/BMW NA

Coming from one brand (Infiniti) to another (BMW), I can tell you that while it's customary to receive a loaner for scheduled maintenance, they don't guarantee them for unscheduled visits. If there is one available during an unscheduled service, they'll give it to you. However you may feel about it - they aren't obligated to give you a loaner, and you aren't entitled to one. Not every single situation in life is going to go your way. You won't always get what you think is fair. Instead of lambasting the dealer, brand, and BMW NA - you could have chosen a more reasonable approach:

1. arrange your own transportation, a rental if that's what it came to.
2. calmly let the dealer know that it's costing you time, money, & you need the car back asap.
3. When you pick the car up, calmly restate your case (E.G., I spent $500 on car rentals while you had the car for a week)
4. Don't expect any specific outcome. Maybe on your next service, they give you a M6 loaner and a dinner giftcard for you and the missus.... who knows? Maybe in the future they give you a great price on the MPPK? Maybe they take care of the rental cost on the spot.
5. Above all else, you respond with dignity and grace

Personally, I'm surprised that they didn't provide a loaner at some point - but again, that's just something you can't control. It's extremely difficult to remain calm and composed, especially when life gets complicated. Remaining composed is no guarantee that you'll get what you think is appropriate, but I find it a lot less stressful for both myself and those I'm dealing with.

Good luck, I hope things roll better for you.

Last edited by mcli; 12-23-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #68
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

I agree with everything you said. For the record, my interactions with the dealership and BMW NA were respectful and calm. I am sorry if my original post here came across as a non productive rant against BMW -- that was not my intention.

You can find 325 posts of mine before this that had nothing but positive words about my car. I just felt like it is worthwhile to share my experiences here both positive and negative.

Certainly, I took care of my own transportation needs with no expectation of it being reimbursed. It was only after I got home and took care of the rest of my unfinished business that I came on here, after a tiring day, to type up a little rant about my experience.

My overall experience with the brand has still been positive and I would enjoy another BMW in the future. All I'm saying is that in lieu of flawless reliability, getting swift alternate transportation is important to me. That is just my opinion of what I feel is important in my car ownership experience. You are of course welcome to disagree, and I totally understand people who say they really would not mind being in this situation.

Life is too short to stay pissed off at things
      01-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #69
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Got a call back from my SA today. the PUMA case resulted in instruction to replace an electrical wiring harness from the rear battery to the belt tensioners. This part is being custom built in Germany and may not show up for a few weeks. I'll have a better ETA in a few days. I'm going to have a rental car reserved for when I get back on Monday.
      01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #70
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

What issues have you had? I'm on 14K mi with not even a warning light. There is some wind noise, but apparently that is something broken with the F30 design.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #71
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
What issues have you had? I'm on 14K mi with not even a warning light. There is some wind noise, but apparently that is something broken with the F30 design.
Hmm let's see...

(1) almost brand new: FEM recall/reprogramming.
(2) check engine light: some sort of programming issue with a gas tank sensor
(3) grinding sound in AC and musty smell. Turned out the AC blower sucked in leaves that then proceeded to mold. A grate was installed on the air intake.
(4) check engine light. Fuel temp sensor was bad. Replaced but took 2+ weeks for a fuel pump to arrive from Germany
(5) air bag and belt tensioner fault. 3 weeks and counting

I don't think this ownership experience is typical -- honestly I'm getting a bit tired of taking the car to the shop and this is the first time that's happened.

My Audi had around 3 issues in 30k miles and between that and oil changes I was in the shop 6 times in 2 years. But due to how readily the Audi dealership had loaners it didn't really bother me.
      01-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #72
BL 5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 REx, 2018 Tesla P3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Hmm let's see...

(1) almost brand new: FEM recall/reprogramming.
(2) check engine light: some sort of programming issue with a gas tank sensor
(3) grinding sound in AC and musty smell. Turned out the AC blower sucked in leaves that then proceeded to mold. A grate was installed on the air intake.
(4) check engine light. Fuel temp sensor was bad. Replaced but took 2+ weeks for a fuel pump to arrive from Germany
(5) air bag and belt tensioner fault. 3 weeks and counting

I don't think this ownership experience is typical -- honestly I'm getting a bit tired of taking the car to the shop and this is the first time that's happened.

My Audi had around 3 issues in 30k miles and between that and oil changes I was in the shop 6 times in 2 years. But due to how readily the Audi dealership had loaners it didn't really bother me.
Damn that's a lot of issues for a new car. I am in the same boat, since my MPPK was installed the ck engine light has come on 3 times. I go back next week again. My car has about 4000 mi on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #73
sjbushido
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Quote:
I was considering affording the dealership the luxury of anonymity, but at this point I'm so angry about the way I was sweet talked then left stranded that I say screw it.

Stevens Creek BMW.
I've had issues with Stevens Creek as well. I ended up going to East Bay BMW as my office is in Pleasanton despite living in SJ. So far they have accommodated my every need.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #74
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

PUMA case resolved as requiring replacement wiring from the Battery Safety Terminal to the airbags and belt tensioners.

The car was in the shop for 21 days and returned to me 1/17. Today, the airbag and belt tensioner faults have returned. The car is back in the shop.

Buyback request was rejected on 1/17. Back to calling BMWNA... It turns out that running replacement wiring for non-faulty wires and then clearing the ACSM's faults does not make problems magically go away.

At what point do the lemon laws apply? I thought it was 30 cumulative days out of service during the first 18 months, 2 repairs for safety systems, or 5 total repairs for the same problem, right?

Last edited by jdong; 01-21-2014 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #75
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Quote:
I was considering affording the dealership the luxury of anonymity, but at this point I'm so angry about the way I was sweet talked then left stranded that I say screw it.

Stevens Creek BMW.
Good to know about Stevens Creek. That's where I bought my car, but that doesn't stop me from going to Peter Pan in Mountain View for service.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I believe lemon law is 30 days within the first year, but I could be wrong. Definitely do some research and bring it up if the law applies in your case. It is a state law, so they cannot reject if you have a legit case.

I had a friend with a 545 back in 2006ish. Car was a nightmare and they kept giving him base model 3-series loaners. When I asked how long it had been going on, I told him to look into the lemon law. Sure enough, it qualified, he mentioned it, and the dealer got him into a brand new 550 straight away.

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #76
Jparker82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X6M

Quote:
PUMA case resolved as requiring replacement wiring from the Battery Safety Terminal to the airbags and belt tensioners.

The car was in the shop for 21 days and returned to me 1/17. Today, the airbag and belt tensioner faults have returned. The car is back in the shop.

Buyback request was rejected on 1/17. Back to calling BMWNA... It turns out that running replacement wiring for non-faulty wires and then clearing the ACSM's faults does not make problems magically go away.

At what point do the lemon laws apply? I thought it was 30 cumulative days out of service during the first 18 months, 2 repairs for safety systems, or 5 total repairs for the same problem, right?
Every state is different. Florida is 14 consecutive days in first year. 30 combined days in first 24 months. 3 attempts to fix same problem. An issue that effects the value. I had a car that was repainted 3 times by Toyota from acid rain damage that had happened on lot. The paint lines or total repaint destroyed the resale and I lemon lawed the car. Well not really.... Toyota like most manufacturers will step in before they have a car lemon lawed. They gave me a new car for remainder of lease. With same buyout options.

Last edited by Jparker82; 01-21-2014 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #77
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Now that the breakdown is no longer a shocker/surprise and everyone isn't away on vacation, I've got a lot more calm of an outlook on the situation.

I called BMW NA one more time today to give them an opportunity to step in before I consider dealing with this as a lemon law case.

(BTW, BMW Stevens Creek called me today to say that the technician who's supposed to look at my car today didn't come into work, so no further updates). Got a loaner 135i. Not exactly a fully loaded ActiveHybrid3, but at least it's not an X1.
      01-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #78
Phil R
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

A few years back, I scheduled an appointment with my BMW dealer for regular service, 4 new tires and a detail job. Asked for a loaner...service rep said no dice...I cancelled the appt and took the car to a competent local service garage...no brand affiliation...and spent approx $2k. They picked up and delivered.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #79
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Out of cars? In California? REALLY?!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #80
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

On the 3rd day in the shop. Service advisor called me informing that the technician assigned to my car is busy and won't get around to looking at it until tomorrow.

Corporate has been informed I am seeking legal counsel to litigate this under the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act...
      01-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #81
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Either you have a really shitty dealer or they know where this is headed and don't want to spend any time on it.

Have you been in contact with the general manager? I wouldn't waste time with the sales advisor if they're giving you the run around.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #82
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
). Got a loaner 135i. Not exactly a fully loaded ActiveHybrid3,
Funny, I am in the opposite situation for the loaner car.. my loaner currently an AH3 with tech and premium packages because a parts order for my Z435 got messed up, and I wish I had asked for the stripped down 135 m sport loaner.

Good call on lawyering up. best of luck
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #83
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Either you have a really shitty dealer or they know where this is headed and don't want to spend any time on it.

Have you been in contact with the general manager? I wouldn't waste time with the sales advisor if they're giving you the run around.
I've left a message for the GM the last time and I never got a response. Does the GM have any authority to make a buyback / trade in happen? At this point I've about had it with this car. Though this is the first time I've brought it back for the same problem twice, in the past I've brought it in 5-6 times before this for separate issues.

My concern is that I'll have to continue bringing it in every 2 months for the latest warning light to come on or body panel to fall off. And that's not what I am looking for in a $62,000 car…

I'd just like to stop getting the runaround and the "please wait 5-10 business days for a response" followed by "oh you got your car back before we got around to it. Guess there's not a problem anymore" BS. I never imagined that I'd need to lawyer up to get decent customer service from a luxury car company, but if they do not want to talk to me, maybe they want to talk to my legal counsel.

Quote:
Funny, I am in the opposite situation for the loaner car.. my loaner currently an AH3 with tech and premium packages because a parts order for my Z435 got messed up, and I wish I had asked for the stripped down 135 m sport loaner.

Good call on lawyering up. best of luck
I don't think there's anything wrong with the 135i inherently. It's just simply not what I paid $800/mo for. When I lease a brand new car, I kind of expect to be able to drive it for the period of the lease. Not rent a series of BMW ZipCars.
      01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #84
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
I've left a message for the GM the last time and I never got a response. Does the GM have any authority to make a buyback / trade in happen? At this point I've about had it with this car. Though this is the first time I've brought it back for the same problem twice, in the past I've brought it in 5-6 times before this for separate issues.

My concern is that I'll have to continue bringing it in every 2 months for the latest warning light to come on or body panel to fall off. And that's not what I am looking for in a $62,000 car…

I'd just like to stop getting the runaround and the "please wait 5-10 business days for a response" followed by "oh you got your car back before we got around to it. Guess there's not a problem anymore" BS. I never imagined that I'd need to lawyer up to get decent customer service from a luxury car company, but if they do not want to talk to me, maybe they want to talk to my legal counsel.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the 135i inherently. It's just simply not what I paid $800/mo for. When I lease a brand new car, I kind of expect to be able to drive it for the period of the lease. Not rent a series of BMW ZipCars.

The GM is the king and pope of the franchise. Do it face to face.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #85
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
It's just simply not what I paid $800/mo for. When I lease a brand new car, I kind of expect to be able to drive it for the period of the lease.
Am I reading that right that your AH3 lease payment is $800/mo ?!?!

I hope your buyback goes through ASAP!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #86
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
I've left a message for the GM the last time and I never got a response. Does the GM have any authority to make a buyback / trade in happen?
BMWNA would be the ones to buy it back.
      01-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #87
Danman5666
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Man, sorry about all of the troubles - that really stinks!

My dealer has been a hit or miss on loaner cars. However, since they haven't fixed my E90, I've had a rental 320 for over a week now. If there isn't any rentals, they do have an on-site Enterprise Rental Car guy that will issue rental cars at no charge (however, he tries to sell the insurance to you).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #88
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbushido View Post
I've had issues with Stevens Creek as well. I ended up going to East Bay BMW as my office is in Pleasanton despite living in SJ. So far they have accommodated my every need.
I bought from Stevens Creek and live close to Pleasanton.
Stevens Creek BMW service suck nasty donkey balls!!!

I now go to Pleasanton.
Always a car waiting when I schedule. There have been numerous times with my '08 that I wound up there for warranty issues, always an emergency. Always had a car.

OP as far as Lemon Law in Ca.
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon
In the first 18 months or 18K miles:
The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

Now they can stick you with use, but that's it.
Sound's like your car fits the bill. If you want out, you can get out.
You just need to scream louder.
Appreciate 0