F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Can you code a slight headlamp delay?
Studio RSR

02-27-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

Can you code a slight headlamp delay?

I am curious whether anyone knows how to code a slight delay in the headlights so they start one second or a couple seconds after the starter motor has started?

I have been looking through the system and have not found anything yet. I have a physical work around in the mail but would prefer not to have a slight delay on other occasions when the lights turn on.

Essentially the battery cannot take both the starter and the HID kit pulling from it at the exact same time and the ballasts shut down. I just need literally a one second delay.

Would appreciate any direction on this is anyone knows whether this is possible.

Thanks.
      02-27-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
I really highly doubt that that is possible.

Shouldn't have HID's in a halogen housing anyway

Look, I know they suck, I had them on my last two cars, but blinding other people is not the solution.
      03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill View Post
I am curious whether anyone knows how to code a slight delay in the headlights so they start one second or a couple seconds after the starter motor has started?

I have been looking through the system and have not found anything yet. I have a physical work around in the mail but would prefer not to have a slight delay on other occasions when the lights turn on.

Essentially the battery cannot take both the starter and the HID kit pulling from it at the exact same time and the ballasts shut down. I just need literally a one second delay.

Would appreciate any direction on this is anyone knows whether this is possible.

Thanks.
cant u just turn the headlight switch to the off position?

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #4
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

Yes, that effectively stops the problem, however, it requires you doing it every time and then activating the auto headlight function after if you want to use it. I have ordered a programmable delay switch from wolsten tech that allows me to program in a delay from 1/4 second to 2 minutes, but that will also delay the auto headlight signal. I was just hoping their was a timing code in the system that would allow a user to program in the timing of the initial signal to the headlight, there are all sorts of delay codes that effect the timing of the start-up but nothing that seems to effect the headlight signal. It's not a big deal I was more curious than anything else.

@smithF32 I am not ignoring your comment, and your point is taken, but I do like HID lights on this model and I debating pulling the trigger on the projector housing and swapping mine out, I wanted to get the system working as close to stock as possible first before investing in new housings.
      03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Might have better luck over in the Coding Forum. Shoot shawnsheridan a PM, he's the man when it comes to coding...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill View Post
Yes, that effectively stops the problem, however, it requires you doing it every time and then activating the auto headlight function after if you want to use it. I have ordered a programmable delay switch from wolsten tech that allows me to program in a delay from 1/4 second to 2 minutes, but that will also delay the auto headlight signal. I was just hoping their was a timing code in the system that would allow a user to program in the timing of the initial signal to the headlight, there are all sorts of delay codes that effect the timing of the start-up but nothing that seems to effect the headlight signal. It's not a big deal I was more curious than anything else.

@smithF32 I am not ignoring your comment, and your point is taken, but I do like HID lights on this model and I debating pulling the trigger on the projector housing and swapping mine out, I wanted to get the system working as close to stock as possible first before investing in new housings.
I understand your issue but I really don't see a reason for this to be there, its not like BMW expects people to do what you did and to have an issue.

Yeah, its annoying to have to move the headlight switch every time but its also annoying to be in front of a person who is driving at night with HID's in a halogen housing.... ask me how I know...