F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Now considering Audi S4 (2017)
GetBMWParts

05-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
I followed one through 5 or 6 miles of B roads a few weeks ago and was surprised he couldn't create any distance (and he was trying). This is in a F31 330d xdrive with MPPK.
I don't think it's a surprise 300hp vs 350hp? That's always going to be pretty equal on a b road, I doubt I'd create any distance from you in my M3 with 430hp, there is a limit to how fast you can/want/are able to drive regardless of the power at your disposal.
      05-23-2018, 09:22 AM   #24
Bored of Audi
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 40D Msport+ in Blue

I had the last of the S5 4.2 V8 in 2011 or something like that, sounded great... I kept a seperate bank account for my fuel so after a year I had a resonably accurate figure...

15 MPG !

A friend has the S4 at the saem time with the new 3.0 6 cylinder engine in and he was lucky if he got 23 mpg.

MY2019 X3 40D M-sport with all the toys. Also a Mini CS for the wife and me to play in at the weekends
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #25
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I have done 9000 miles in my SQ5 and the average mpg per the read out since new is 28.1mpg. I have tested the accuracy on a couple of occasions and it is pretty accurate.

I dont do masses of short journey in town driving - but of course compared to the S4 it isnt quite as aerodynamic....

I can get single figure results on a 1.5 mile journey when very cold but that is exception.

And I do really like it!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:48 AM   #26
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I think that with the discounts the BMW 340i is easily the better buy, why:

1. Better finance deals i.e. 0% APR
2. Cheaper running costs - service pack thrown in as part of deal and S cars ALWAYS cost more to service (as do Quattro cars)
3. Discounts from the BMW can make the car a weapon and a nicer place to sit i.e. MPPSK for more power than the S4 and much better noise, Individual interior, leather dash, HUD and digi dash will make the BMW a much nicer place than the standard crappy Dakota

My only concerns with the 340i would be the imminent new model (production starts in November for the saloon) and the depreciation will be higher than the S4.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #27
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

2. Cheaper running costs - service pack thrown in as part of deal and S cars ALWAYS cost more to service (as do Quattro cars)
3. Discounts from the BMW can make the car a weapon and a nicer place to sit i.e. MPPSK for more power than the S4 and much better noise, Individual interior, leather dash, HUD and digi dash will make the BMW a much nicer place than the standard crappy Dakota

My only concerns with the 340i would be the imminent new model (production starts in November for the saloon) and the depreciation will be higher than the S4.
And as always when the word "better" is used, it means "better for me" as some of us might not want more noise or performance, are happier with fine nappa and VC, arent too fussed about service costs as we dont do many miles, and have paid off the finance so interest rates dont matter...

The good thing is that there are good options for people who value different things and bad cars dont really exist anymore....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:22 AM   #28
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

And as always when the word "better" is used, it means "better for me" as some of us might not want more noise or performance, are happier with fine nappa and VC, arent too fussed about service costs as we dont do many miles, and have paid off the finance so interest rates dont matter...

The good thing is that there are good options for people who value different things and bad cars dont really exist anymore....
Nothing like stating the obvious is there.

You clearly missed the part of my first sentence that says "I think..."

Maybe you need to go and have a lie down and relax.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #29
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Nothing like stating the obvious is there.

You clearly missed the part of my first sentence that says "I think..."

Maybe you need to go and have a lie down and relax.
I'm chilled mate - was just pointing out that your priorities arent the same as mine...

Hope your week improves, might help you chill....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #30
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I don't think it's a surprise 300hp vs 350hp? That's always going to be pretty equal on a b road, I doubt I'd create any distance from you in my M3 with 430hp, there is a limit to how fast you can/want/are able to drive regardless of the power at your disposal.
True, I guess I was expecting him to be able to pull himself out of 20 mph corners a bit better than me

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I have done 9000 miles in my SQ5 and the average mpg per the read out since new is 28.1mpg. I have tested the accuracy on a couple of occasions and it is pretty accurate.

I dont do masses of short journey in town driving - but of course compared to the S4 it isnt quite as aerodynamic....

I can get single figure results on a 1.5 mile journey when very cold but that is exception.

And I do really like it!
Interesting and, being honest, unless you're driving like you stole it all the time - or doing lots of short runs and/or stop-start work in traffic - I can't see why the latest S4 should average much less than 30mpg.

I can understand why it wouldn't be quite as good as a 340i/440i but I doubt the difference in fuel cost would be enough to be a deal-breaker for anyone who can afford that sort of money for a car; would have thought you just try the alternatives and choose the car you prefer?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #32
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
So test drive in the S4 Avant was interesting and to be honest I liked it very much. This is not intended to be an in detail review but just some of my own initial impressions.

Most noticeable thing was the ride and handling far improved over the F31, felt firm and well planted, dealt with undulating roads without drama and gave far more confidence than the BMW even when pressing on. Cruising on rough surfaces was still a generally quiet experience making for a far more relaxed drive. Overall the car was very quiet inside with little road / wind noise a marked advantage over the 3 series. Steering input was very precise and not vague at the dead ahead point.

Interior was well appointed, seats were brilliant, nice soft Nappa leather and the lumber support even had a setting for a wave motion effectively giving you a massage while on the move. Dash was a bit over fussy for me with the virtual cockpit, but guess that you could get used to it if you could turn off some of the display & only use it when wanted, it had so much showing that it was a detraction. Can set dual climate control with 1 control and the climate control is 3 way, nice for rear passengers. Button for different drive modes seemed a bit too far away though.

Wasn't a lover of the linear aluminium dash trim with the slightly stuck on looking tablet but it wasn't as bad as the Mercedes one. I have noticed on another car that the dash trim in a darker colour improves the visual of the cockpit completely.

Space was very similar to the F31 but with a slight rake on the rear roof and therefore you sit slightly lower in the rear, but was still OK. Load space was very similar. No opening rear hatch lid as the F31 but I liked the fact that the load cover opened up with the tailgate and went down again with it. How many times have I loaded stuff in the rear, got in the car & can't see out of the rear !!

Car had the matte finish silver V spoke 19" wheels, a square set up with 245 section tyres all round, nice & easy to clean and guess the ability to rotate front to rear to equal out wear if wanted. Also had the black painted calipers with the S4 logo as opposed to the £300 option of the red ones.

Performance was rapid as to be expected, very nice roar from the rear end when giving it some stick especially in Dynamic mode, slight pops on the over run which was a nice touch without being too boy racer. Gear shift was sharp and a pleasure to use with the paddles and it auto blips the throttle on the downshifts. It is an 8 speed box with a turbo so guess similar to the BMW set up, previous model was DCT and supercharged.

Externally, it doesn't shout at you 'look at me' it doesn't have some of the sharp lines of the 3 series, but that's OK, it is as some say the ideal 'Q' car, it can be quiet and understated but open it up and it's a bit of a beast. Revs freely, barks nicely and hello here I am, then simply goodbye and you're gone!

Can't comment on the economy because it wasn't being driven in the most economical way but from a reset 22.5mpg for the test didn't seem at all bad.

So personally would I buy one, not sure. You can get the F31 340i for considerably less with a similar spec and from some reports likely better economy, although in saying that it is a soon to be replaced model, so will the G20 be anywhere near the S4 B9 chassis, I guess it will, but then so will the price I suspect.
For me after sitting in the F31 for some 3 years would I want another one at the moment or would it be nice to have a change? probably the latter.
Nice write up. I moved from a 335d GT to a B9 S4. I'm very happy with it and I just swallow the MPG difference because I wanted a petrol with some performance and my lease was a 3 + 23 at £399 a month, so relatively decent bang for buck.

Forget trying to eek better MPG out of the S4. Mine has relatively varied driving but anything above mid 20's would be a miracle. Plus you don't buy/ run a car like an S4 for MPG. It will be expensive to run vs. a Diesel - this has to be expected.

Mine is bog standard black, standard alloys, standard dash - only chose the red leather interior which looks lovely against the black. The paint is soft as hell and bird crap has already marked it even though I have tried my best to get it off the paint pronto once I saw it.

Takeaway for me: if you want 4WD and 6 cyl petrol then the S4 does it very well. If you are into RWD then you're better off sticking with a 40i. I came from a xDrive 335d and glad to be into petrol again but I did want the 4WD.

If you want to know anything more just drop me a line. Cheers!
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50
      05-25-2018, 04:01 AM   #33
Isow
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i MSport

Do the Audi engines still use a lot of oil ?
That would bug me.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #34
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isow View Post
Do the Audi engines still use a lot of oil ?
That would bug me.
Mine doesn't seem to be currently, but I'm only 7K miles since taking delivery end of October last year
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #35
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Hi all
I have moved from f30 330i msport to the new s3 saloon.
Had it for 6weeks now and absolutely love it. Getting approx mid twenties mostly around town and some motorway. I find the drive more involving and more comfortable than the f30 probably because the s3 isn't on runflats.
Cabin wise I find the Audi looks better. The ride on the f30 felt harsh at times and bouncy none of this in the s3.
As for the pace of this car all I can say is WOW.
I know it might sound daft but the s3 cabin feels bigger.
Alright the OP is about the s4 but hope you lot don't mind me putting my thoughts in.
And before any of you say it's only a 4pot it's a brilliant car.
Good look OP on your choice.

Last edited by antjos1; 05-29-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #36
Mike_H
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40i

I came from a B8 S4 to my current 340i MPPSK, so here are my thoughts after 2 years in the BM.
Firstly the S4 was better built, quieter inside, less rattles, creaks, less road noise so made it a much more relaxing place to be. Handling wise, the BM wins hands down, the Audi would understeer horribly having the weight of the V6 engine in front of the axle. Performance I would say the 340i is marginally quicker, but the S4 with Quattro could transfer its power to the road much more effectively in less than ideal weather.
MPG wise the BM is noticeably better but fuel efficiency is not normally top of the list when buying these cars. Both a great cars and although I like the BM my next car will be an Audi, albeit in RS3 guise when the order books re-open.

Mike
Appreciate 1
rokut398.00
      05-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #37
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Guy near me has a new s4 with sports exhaust. Does look good I have to say and is very nice inside.

I think and hope the new 3er will be better though as I do prefer the layout of bmws, just at present the f30 is too far behind.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #38
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Guy near me has a new s4 with sports exhaust. Does look good I have to say and is very nice inside.

I think and hope the new 3er will be better though as I do prefer the layout of bmws, just at present the f30 is too far behind.
F36 to the rescue, leather dash option with merino seats and digital dash.
A truly nice place to be.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0