F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Driver Assistance Package vs. Premium Package.. decisions decisions ...
GetBMWParts

02-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Comfort access is a very nice/convenient feature. I initially wasn't going to get premium but since I was getting leather and contemplating CA, I decided to go for it. I don't personally understand the draw for PDC and blind spot detection. There's literally no such thing as a "blind spot" if your mirrors are properly adjusted. You shouldn't even need to turn your head. PDC would be for those who either have no concept of the spatial positioning of their car or who must park REALLY close to other objects/obstacles. I'm not big on technology for technology's sake personally.
I don't really care for blind spot warning either. :/
But I think PDC is useful in certain circumstances. I may not need to look at it every single time, but I'm sure it will come in handy more often than blind spot detection.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
Yes mine will be a M Sports line build

Hm...so the radar doesn't work on high curbs?
I can imagine I won't be using top/rear-view cameras very often...so it actually will be like buying an one time insurance. :/
I've decided, I will get the premium pkg for comfort access, since I'm getting leather seats anyways.
Not if you're parking parallel to the curb, i.e. the situation where ya scratch rims the most

Rear view camera is a life-saver too. I'm only slightly exaggerating on that part... hundreds of kids die each year being backed over.

So if you're not getting Driver Assistance Package, you're not going to get PDC either? Without either PDC or cameras, it's just a matter of time before you scratch either front or rear bumpers, or a wheel. Plus, it's gotta help with resale.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Not if you're parking parallel to the curb, i.e. the situation where ya scratch rims the most

Rear view camera is a life-saver too. I'm only slightly exaggerating on that part... hundreds of kids die each year being backed over.

So if you're not getting Driver Assistance Package, you're not going to get PDC either? Without either PDC or cameras, it's just a matter of time before you scratch either front or rear bumpers, or a wheel. Plus, it's gotta help with resale.
well...I can't remember when was the last time I parallel parked...I may just get the Parking Assistant if I have to parallel park very often.

I'm getting PDC & cameras for sure. DAP + Leather seats cost the same as Premium PKG + PDC + Cam.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #26
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Yea I don't really care about satellite radio. I usually listen to my CDs while driving. (Y NO CD CHANGER! )
CDs are obsolete. Burn your CDs into MP3s, put them onto a USB flash drive, and plug it into the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #27
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
CDs are obsolete. Burn your CDs into MP3s, put them onto a USB flash drive, and plug it into the car.
I know. I'm sure gonna do that. :/
Right now I'm listening to CDs because my car doesn't support MP3 (and it has a 6disk changer! )

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:

I don't have PDC or cameras. Never have. I don't have curbed wheels or scratched bumpers. I've never run over a child either.

I'm not saying they're totally useless features. But if you're always careful, you'll never have an issue.

And don't get your hopes up that these things will add resale value. It'll be nominal if at all. That's just the way it goes with options unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have PDC or cameras. Never have. I don't have curbed wheels or scratched bumpers. I've never run over a child either.

I'm not saying they're totally useless features. But if you're always careful, you'll never have an issue.

And don't get your hopes up that these things will add resale value. It'll be nominal if at all. That's just the way it goes with options unfortunately.
Notice I did not say "add resale value". I said, "help with resale". If you're selling your car without PDC/cameras, and there's a similar used car for a bit more with those features, a lot of people are going to pick the car (over yours) with PDC/cameras. They're popular options, for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Notice I did not say "add resale value". I said, "help with resale". If you're selling your car without PDC/cameras, and there's a similar used car for a bit more with those features, a lot of people are going to pick the car (over yours) with PDC/cameras. They're popular options, for a reason.
I'd have a hard time using this argument to justify the extra upfront expense for something I personally don't value. Buy what YOU want. Don't worry about what the next guy might think. My experience has been buyers are more interested in mileage, condition and price than anything else. I've yet to run across someone that was concerned with that level of detail. Perhaps your market/experience is different.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #31
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd have a hard time using this argument to justify the extra upfront expense for something I personally don't value. Buy what YOU want. Don't worry about what the next guy might think. My experience has been buyers are more interested in mileage, condition and price than anything else. I've yet to run across someone that was concerned with that level of detail. Perhaps your market/experience is different.
I don't worry about the next guy. I buy features I like, and have never had a problem selling my cars quickly, and for a good price. It just so happens I buy loaded cars. I see lots of "strippers" for sale on these boards advertised for sale that sit for months, with comments such as "if it only had Nav", "if it only had heated seats", "if it only had xxxxxxx". Just a subjective observation of course, but I never see a car that takes forever to sell because it has too many options/features.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't worry about the next guy. I buy features I like, and have never had a problem selling my cars quickly, and for a good price. It just so happens I buy loaded cars. I see lots of "strippers" for sale on these boards advertised for sale that sit for months, with comments such as "if it only had Nav", "if it only had heated seats", "if it only had xxxxxxx". Just a subjective observation of course, but I never see a car that takes forever to sell because it has too many options/features.
Enthusiast boards are the worst possible place you can try to sell a car. Typically 99% of the folks who frequent them already own the car you're trying to sell...unless it's something really special. I too always sell at the top of or above the market. Sometimes I load the cars up. Sometimes I don't. Not checking every box doesn't a stripper make however. I'd take odds that average Joe Buyer would have a hard time even determining what features a car did/didn't have. It's very rare to even see a dealer accurately identify all of the features a given car has.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Driver assist package is the best. I love it and use it everytime I drive the car. The front end is rounder and longer than the e90 and I sit low so it's hard for me to judge curbs. This is great for that. Love the blind spots monitor as well but hate how they make u pay for it when accords have them standard. Lincoln's too
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Enthusiast boards are the worst possible place you can try to sell a car. Typically 99% of the folks who frequent them already own the car you're trying to sell...unless it's something really special. I too always sell at the top of or above the market. Sometimes I load the cars up. Sometimes I don't. Not checking every box doesn't a stripper make however. I'd take odds that average Joe Buyer would have a hard time even determining what features a car did/didn't have. It's very rare to even see a dealer accurately identify all of the features a given car has.
Good thing no one told me that...

I sold my loaded M3 in September here on these boards, in just a matter of days
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #35
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good thing no one told me that...

I sold my loaded M3 in September here on these boards, in just a matter of days
I'd say this has been enough of a thread jack. But you've also just proven my point. You even underlined it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say this has been enough of a thread jack. But you've also just proven my point. You even underlined it.
I didn't underline anything, that's a hyperlink
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #37
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually I agree. :/ After 8 years probably no one will remember(or know) what are the available options on this car.
I don't really care too much about resale value. Actually I always think that's a stupid argument. Because you paid more for the car of course you are gonna sell it for more. Adding a $2k option doesn't mean you can sell it for $2k more comparing to others.

Cars are bought to be driven, not to be sold again.

I just emailed the dealer to see how much it's gonna add to the total cost if I add premium pkg to the build.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER View Post
Driver assist package is the best. I love it and use it everytime I drive the car. The front end is rounder and longer than the e90 and I sit low so it's hard for me to judge curbs. This is great for that. Love the blind spots monitor as well but hate how they make u pay for it when accords have them standard. Lincoln's too
Too bad they don't have a BMW badge as an option. It comes by default with the 3 series.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #39
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
well...I can't remember when was the last time I parallel parked...I may just get the Parking Assistant if I have to parallel park very often.

I'm getting PDC & cameras for sure. DAP + Leather seats cost the same as Premium PKG + PDC + Cam.
You may be over estimating the price. Premium package INCLUDES the leather seats, but the website still lets you check the option. My dealer had to clear that up for me, the first guy helping me had the extra price on there. Trust me, its INCLUDED in Premium. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #40
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
You may be over estimating the price. Premium package INCLUDES the leather seats, but the website still lets you check the option. My dealer had to clear that up for me, the first guy helping me had the extra price on there. Trust me, its INCLUDED in Premium. lol
Yea I'm aware of that.
Adding both pkgs is about $750 extra.

DAP - $1900
Leaterh seats - $1450
- total : $3350

Premium - $2200
PDC+rear-view cam : $750+$400 = $1150
- total $3350

adding both:
DAP: $1900
Premium: $2200
- total $4100

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #41
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Yea I'm aware of that.
Adding both pkgs is about $750 extra.

DAP - $1900
Leaterh seats - $1450
- total : $3350

Premium - $2200
PDC+rear-view cam : $750+$400 = $1150
- total $3350

adding both:
DAP: $1900
Premium: $2200
- total $4100
$750 really isn't that bad when you consider that you get all of the above.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
$750 really isn't that bad when you consider that you get all of the above.
true.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #43
vchiu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Blind spot warning is really useful. Depending on your seating position the side pillar is pretty beefy and can obstruct your side view.

Top camera is great for parking. Especially for not nosing the curb.
Appreciate 0